Shaving Choices

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Most stores on the North Coast offer Gillette razors and shave cream.
You can find Bic disposables and Nivea shave cream.
But last time I was in the states I brought back a can of Barbasol and a Box of Dollar Shave 6 blades with a handle.
That combination was the best shave I can recall.
Does anyone know if those products are available in DR.
The Barbasol shaving cream is way better than Gillette Foamy and the Dollar Shave blades last way longer than the over-priced Gillette Fusion and a slightly closer shave.
Maybe there are other alternatives but I refuse to buy Gillette since they got "Woke".

• Haha
Reactions: OldSkool

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Amazon is your friend, my friend. I'm with you on Gillette.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Amazon is your friend, my friend. I'm with you on Gillette.
I was hoping to find local purchasing alternatives.

eBay is also a good source.

The cost of shipping raises costs kind of defeating the desire to save money from Gillette's ludicrous prices.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Old Burma Shave roadside series ;

THIS CREAM MAKES THE
GARDENER'S DAUGHTER
PLANT HER TU-LIPS
WHERE SHE OUGHTER

For those who don't remember the defunct Burma shave - i don't think the cleverness of there road side adds can even be explained.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
Hey Chico, How about this one;

HE LIT A MATCH
TO CHECK THE GAS TANK
THAT'S WHY THEY CALL HIM
SKINLESS FRANK

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
I rarely "shave" these days. I keep it tight with a trimmer and have my barber deal with trimming and shaving.

When I shave I'm a single blade guy and use soap.

I still have "shaving soap" and a good brush, which I almost never bother with, and I keep a bar of some local, yellow, bar soap and I swear to you it's as good or better than any shaving cream I've ever used. I brought a box of "imported Japanese blades, from Amazon and bootlegged in, for a safety razor from Dad or Grandpa ands like them lather up with soap. Fancy creams and multi-blade razors are all marketing and an attempt to get more $$$ out of our pockets.

Reactions: Squat and windeguy

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Last year I forgot to throw my Fusion razor blades in the suitcase. I could not find them anywhere in the Bavaro/ PC area. I struggled to get a good shave. The only thing I could consistently find were a 3 blade disposable and that was like rubbing sandpaper on my face.

The first thing I put in the suitcase this year was Fusion razor blades. I have never heard of the Box Dollar ones but I have seen a lot of ads for a brand called Harry's. Might try them when the Fusion supply runs out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Last year I forgot to throw my Fusion razor blades in the suitcase. I could not find them anywhere in the Bavaro/ PC area. I struggled to get a good shave. The only thing I could consistently find were a 3 blade disposable and that was like rubbing sandpaper on my face.

The first thing I put in the suitcase this year was Fusion razor blades. I have never heard of the Box Dollar ones but I have seen a lot of ads for a brand called Harry's. Might try them when the Fusion supply runs out.

A box of Dollar ShaveClub 6 blades, I suspect:

I have never gone beyond, well, maybe 3 blades on a couple of occasions long ago, but normally just use one bladed razors.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Dollar Shave Club - as good as Fusion

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
To all using and struggling with multi-blade razors I cannot recommend enough looking back to what your Father, Uncles and Grandfathers would have used. A safety razor with 1 blade, double sided, and soap. Get fancy with "shaving soap" if you need but get back to basics.

Everyone I know that has tried it has stayed with it. It's so much simpler AND cheaper that you'll never regret it. At least none of the guys I know regretted it or went back to the ridiculously complicated, expensive and in the DR hard or impossible to get alternatives.

Reactions: windeguy and Squat

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
To all using and struggling with multi-blade razors I cannot recommend enough looking back to what your Father, Uncles and Grandfathers would have used. A safety razor with 1 blade, double sided, and soap. Get fancy with "shaving soap" if you need but get back to basics.

Everyone I know that has tried it has stayed with it. It's so much simpler AND cheaper that you'll never regret it. At least none of the guys I know regretted it or went back to the ridiculously complicated, expensive and in the DR hard or impossible to get alternatives.
We could go way back to straight razors.
My chin beard is to tough and skin to easily cut for single blade razors, not to mention they are dangerous for manscaping.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Most stores on the North Coast offer Gillette razors and shave cream.
You can find Bic disposables and Nivea shave cream.
But last time I was in the states I brought back a can of Barbasol and a Box of Dollar Shave 6 blades with a handle.
That combination was the best shave I can recall.
Does anyone know if those products are available in DR.
The Barbasol shaving cream is way better than Gillette Foamy and the Dollar Shave blades last way longer than the over-priced Gillette Fusion and a slightly closer shave.
Maybe there are other alternatives but I refuse to buy Gillette since they got "Woke".
North Coast, try the Dollar Shop, especially the one across from Super Pola in Sosua. In Cabarete and Sosua it is now called the Needful Things...

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Are any of them actually superior to a good old fashioned single blade shave? Ever had a barber shave you? They all, in my experience and understanding, use a single blade if not a straight razor. Now THAT's a shave! :D
JACK KNIFE BARBER SHOP in Sosua. Calle Anna Maria. Now THAT's a shave!

• Wow
Reactions: OldSkool

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Are any of them actually superior to a good old fashioned single blade shave? Ever had a barber shave you? They all, in my experience and understanding, use a single blade if not a straight razor. Now THAT's a shave! :D
Makes me remember my dad had knicks in his face all the time from shaving with a gilette single safety blade every morning ..

Reactions: chico bill

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The nicks is my objection to the cheapo razors. I can get 6 months on a 3 blader shaving every other day. I can't get a week out of the cheapos before I look like I ate razor wire for lunch.

I bought the biggest 3 blade cartridge package there was in Target before I retired September 2018. I still have about 4 or 5 left.

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
Makes me remember my dad had knicks in his face all the time from shaving with a gilette single safety blade every morning ..
Commonly it's not an issue. More about experience and awareness. Also clean new blades and the right amount and consistency of the soap.

What I suggest is despite any built in prejudices against, any bad memories or, opinions of others, and negative press...TRY it for your self. Propper equipment and preparation like in so many things in life are key.

By all means continue being inconvenienced, overpaying, being stressed about sourcing your next batch of overpriced blades, etc. or take a leap of faith and go Old Skool LOL :p

Do you. The end.