Shipping a Car back to the USA...shipper?

rvancil

Feb 2, 2009
Hey guys, anyone here ever have success with sending a car back to the states? Any suggestions on a shipping company would be much appreciated! Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never heard of anyone shipping a car from the DR to the US. I expect the costs to be astronomical.

WW already asked the question if the car is built to US standards.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Por exemplo.... My car Isuzu MUX would not pass muster in the USA

And if going CA- even stricter regulations

Jan 9, 2004
I have never heard of anyone shipping a car from the DR to the US. I expect the costs to be astronomical.

WW already asked the question if the car is built to US standards.
Lots of them.............but usually not voluntarily. You would be amazed at how many are unloaded and then reloaded as not qualifying for entry. Shippers usually, but not always, catch "flaws" in the paperwork.

And it does not have to be built to US specs to be shipped to the US...........but it must be modified to those specs before being allowed full entry.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
What about the app. 40% import tax already paid to bring the car into the DR ? I think this would be a $$$ mistake........

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What about the app. 40% import tax already paid to bring the car into the DR ? I think this would be a $$$ mistake........
That's exactly why when I moved back to the US from Puerto Rico, I sold the car that I brought down with me. I could have bought the exact same car in the US and had a lot of money left over. There were high import fee there, too.

Reactions: USA DOC

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think most shippers are very worried about drugs being hidden in shipments back to the us and don't want the liability.

sweetP

Sep 3, 2013
A friend of mine from NY did just that for 3K US...His wife had imported a Highlander Hybrid to the Dominican Republic within a year of receiving her temporary residency, receiving a 77% discount on the import tax, this is possible if you use this exemption in the residency program within 18 months after receiving Dominican residency...8 years later, the vehicle developed some problems with the Brake Actuator Assembly, for which there was a Voluntary Customer Support Bulletin from Toyota which covered all parts and labor, but which the DR Toyota dealers refused to repair under the program, because according to them, the bulletin had not arrived at their dealerships yet, and wanted 555,000 pesos, yes, 10k US to repair. So, because the Highlander was becoming dated, now over 11 years old, and with the problems it was experiencing, and the family wanting a more modern SUV with all of the safety bells and whistles, they simultaneously bought another SUV in NY and the husband applied for and received his residency card and then imported the newer vehicle, which was less than 5yrs old, also receiving over 70% discount on the import. The same company that handled the import of the Highlander to DR, also handled the export back to NY of the same vehicle. The things that made the export back to the US smooth and not costly were, the same American owner who exported the American-made vehicle to DR, was also importing the vehicle back to the US, without any changes or modifications to the fuel system, emissions system, and catalytic converter. The older Highlander now back in NY, was repaired successfully under the Toyota Customer Support Program, and the family still uses it whenever they're in NY.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A friend of mine from NY did just that for 3K US...His wife had imported a Highlander Hybrid to the Dominican Republic within a year of receiving her temporary residency, receiving a 77% discount on the import tax, this is possible if you use this exemption in the residency program within 18 months after receiving Dominican residency...8 years later, the vehicle developed some problems with the Brake Actuator Assembly, for which there was a Voluntary Customer Support Bulletin from Toyota which covered all parts and labor, but which the DR Toyota dealers refused to repair under the program, because according to them, the bulletin had not arrived at their dealerships yet, and wanted 555,000 pesos, yes, 10k US to repair. So, because the Highlander was becoming dated, now over 11 years old, and with the problems it was experiencing, and the family wanting a more modern SUV with all of the safety bells and whistles, they simultaneously bought another SUV in NY and the husband applied for and received his residency card and then imported the newer vehicle, which was less than 5yrs old, also receiving over 70% discount on the import. The same company that handled the import of the Highlander to DR, also handled the export back to NY of the same vehicle. The things that made the export back to the US smooth and not costly were, the same American owner who exported the American-made vehicle to DR, was also importing the vehicle back to the US, without any changes or modifications to the fuel system, emissions system, and catalytic converter. The older Highlander now back in NY, was repaired successfully under the Toyota Customer Support Program, and the family still uses it whenever they're in NY.
I've always been told the exemption for residency is a one-time deal. It's cool they could do it twice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One residency for her - another for him

If possible , spread the residencies around....
we did ours together...

By splitting it - you get 2 containers, 2 cars
I wish we had done it

Shipping a US car back is the easiest route.... a non-US car might (will) encounter problems - reconfiguration

rvancil

Feb 2, 2009
It is a US spec car that I bought here, I did decide that it would be better to sell here and buy again once I get up there, used price here is still more than brand new price there lol.

Reactions: JD Jones