Shipping a car through Montero

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
20 foot container

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I was curious as there is something I would like to import one day. And seeing the rates for the tvs, thought that might be a bit much - it's more than half the price ship a whole container. Now if only i could find online tarifs! Doubt that will happen anytime soon - I guess I send pib a pm? Are they still on here?

I started out by thinking I would ship my car from Miami and my furniture from New Jersey - I had dogs and such so needed to get them to Fla.

Hispaniola worked with me by educating me that the pricing difference between the 20 and 40 foot was the cheaper way to go. Upgrade to the 40 was about $750 .... put the car in the extra 20 feet... a really cheap way to ship the car PLUS way less hassle about going to the dock twice. (Cars from Miami are about $1500-$1800)

I have posted before warning to stay away from POP. Even the Aduana Generale in SD will warn you away !!
Caucedo is the new generation/model and was quite effortless. Yes, I saw my broker "thank " a couple of people, but it was only 100/200 pesos here and there. It was a thank you for accelerating the process - not a bribe to release the shipment.

I hope this helps - I agree w/ you..... the TV shipping sounds pretty costly.

I have heard rumors about a company called "Awelda" or something close that. They do door to door with little or no duty for boxes, packages, etc ..... like TV's.

Has anybody heard of them??

vi6six

Feb 7, 2009
i have used Emabarque Tenares Corp which is in the bronx to ship tanks, tvs, radios also. for a 22" plasma tv it is $175.00 up to 25". the tanks are $135.00 each. you can fill them with anything and say that you have sent food and used clothes. they get there in 2 to 3 weeks with out a problem. i have been using them for 2 years. the number for them is 1-718-562-1300 or 1-888-961-1300. they also pick up at your house. i'm in long island.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Went to pay for my TVs to be shipped today at Montero!! I am so excited!! I have had nothing but great customer service with these guys. I asked about impuestos and all, making sure that I am not going to get jacked when the TVs arrive to the DR. He says that when you pay for Puerta-Puerta, all of that is included in the price that they give you. So I will have no surprises. I have been dealing with Candy and also Gregory Montero who has been great.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Also, the 40" turned out to only be $600 to ship, not $650. And there is a special going on now, Gregory says, 3 cajas for $180...
SHALENA

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well, I ended up shipping my car with Fama shipping instead of Montero shipping... even, Montero quoted me a little big cheaper, it was easier for me to deal with a lady and Fama shipping was also an easier location for me at that time...
I had a **very good impression ** about Montero shipping....I spoke over the phone, in many occasions with Mr. Noel Montero, one of the owners and I asked so many questions and he was always there for me...

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Do you have an email address for Montero as the one on their website does not work.

Please keep us posted. Have they provided you with a price quote? From reading different posts what scares me is what will aduana charge once the car arrives.

Will Montero assist in obtaining insurance, plates, etc. so you can just drive your car off the dock.

Best of luck...........

Montero Shipping

718-295-8149
Mr. Noel Montero
and Natalie

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I shipped my car (Honda Civic-2007 Hybrid) with Fama Shipping...I paid $1,500.00 for (shipping-paper work in US, . and also includes a broker to help me with the paper work in Dom. Rep.)
+( $250.00(optional) for an extra insurance... )
I applied for the moving law.. (168 law)
I paid around $75,000.00 pesos to take out from custom...(US$2,100.00)
including parking, taxes etc...
I got the license plate by myself..$2,200.00 pesos..
Universal full insurance $$$$
I suggest you "DOOR TO DOOR" service...believe me it is cheaper., less stressful and very convenient...
They were charging me $4,000.00 dollars door to door...and I declined it, but doing it myself I learned a lot...lol...lol...believe me a lot....lol...
Even, I did not use Montero shipping I heard good feedback among users...
Feel free to contact me if you need extra info...
Lucille

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I applied for the moving law.. (168 law)........

Is Law 168 the reduced impuestas provision when you first get your temporary residence? Is this law 168 valid for six months or a year after obtaining temporary residence?

...........They were charging me $4,000.00 dollars door to door...and I declined it, but doing it myself I learned a lot...lol...lol...believe me a lot....lol...
Even, I did not use Montero shipping I heard good feedback among users...
Feel free to contact me if you need extra info...
Lucille

Do I understand this correctly? For $4,000 they would have shipped your car door to door with EVERYTHING included in that price?

Thanks for the feedback. This is one of the very few horror stories I have read. I will be contacting Montero but it always helps to gather information prior to making a call.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Is Law 168 the reduced impuestas provision when you first get your temporary residence? Is this law 168 valid for six months or a year after obtaining temporary residence
I don't know...
It is for people who are moving to Dom. Rep...
Mr. Montero knows about it...

Do I understand this correctly? For $4,000 they would have shipped your car door to door with EVERYTHING included in that price?
YES.....

Thanks for the feedback. This is one of the very few horror stories I have read. I will be contacting Montero but it always helps to gather information prior to making a call.

809-547-7070 is the phone number for Exoneracion- 168 law-

website- Direccion General de Aduanas
Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA
***Real prices are lower than the one that shows on their website after the discounts...

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Is Law 168 the reduced impuestas provision when you first get your temporary residence? Is this law 168 valid for six months or a year after obtaining temporary residence?

Yes, they wanted $4,000.00 to ship my car door to door with EVERYTHING included in that price...

Reactions: bigbird

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, they wanted $4,000.00 to ship my car door to door with EVERYTHING included in that price...

Wow, I am so glad you posted your experience. You have me thinking a lot different now. It is great to read up to date information.

If I need any more info I will surely PM you and thanks again.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow,Lucille. That sounds great! I was contemplating sending an SUV or Minivan and can't make up my mind. I am sending a few more things through Montero this year and hopefully will see if everything is good with those things and then decide.
One quick question, I get different answers to. Do you have to have owned the car for a year before you can send it, or could I buy one and send it the next week?
Actually, I guess I could ask them at Montero but I would like your feedback.
I have 3 kids so I really want something roomy so I guess my prices would probably be higher but what you quoted for your car is not nearly what I had been hearing.
I think it's all about which Company you use....
SHALENA

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Wow,Lucille. That sounds great! I was contemplating sending an SUV or Minivan and can't make up my mind. I am sending a few more things through Montero this year and hopefully will see if everything is good with those things and then decide.
One quick question, I get different answers to. Do you have to have owned the car for a year before you can send it, or could I buy one and send it the next week?
Actually, I guess I could ask them at Montero but I would like your feedback.
I have 3 kids so I really want something roomy so I guess my prices would probably be higher but what you quoted for your car is not nearly what I had been hearing.
I think it's all about which Company you use....
SHALENA
Shalena:
1-To apply for the 168 law, the car has to be on your name for a year....Yes...
2- The length of staying in Dom. Rep. could not be for more than 6 months period in the last 2 years ....prior to apply..
For example, in 2009 I filed for the law...
2008 I stayed in Dom. Rep. for 3 and 1/2 months...(all combined)
2007 I stayed in DR for 2 months (all combined)
Yes, I qualify ...
also, if the car is like 2004 or 2005 it is cheaper...There was a lady, who brought a nice SUV 2004 and she paid $3,000.00 door to door....
Montero will be a great source of information or DGA or Dr. Fabio Ariza maybe can help to explain better about the law...
3-you have to go for an interview with the DGA officer and they ask you a few questions to prove that you are moving to DR... as where do you live? what is near by? and what kind of work you do?...
Also, you can bring furniture, appliances and the car...(168 law)
I don't know if Fama Shipping still working ...here is the Phone #212-283-1818
toll free-1-800-326-2456
There are a few companies, just shop around.....

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So, my TVs arrived today, only 6 days late!! But for me that was late enough. I think if I didn't call everyday and get on Gregory's nerves they would have never arrived. What pi$$ed me off was that they were due to be here last Saturday or before. They were in the Capital since last Tuesday!! They had 4 days to get them to Santiago and still meet their date of delivery but they chose to let them sit there for another week and 3 days. I mean, it's just Santiago for God's sake...2 hours! Anyway,
PROs: -Customer Service in NYC is great, I always spoke with Gregory and he was awesome!
- They allowed the store to delivery directly to them (I didn't have to get the TVs over there to them)
CONs: - LATE (only 6 days but late is late is late)
-The Customer Service in the Capital sucks, I was always told that I would be called back and never was

But all in all a very good experience, I will be using Montero Shipping again...dealing with Gregory of course. Bought and sent 2 SONY BRAVIA LCD HDTVs (46" and 40") for the price of the 46" alone here. The TVs arrived in the same condition as they were sent (new, in the box, not a scratch) and they even carried them upstairs (some places dump your stuff in the first room in the house and you have to get it where you want it!)
Out of 5 stars, I give them 4...
SHALENA

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hi Shalena,

Can you repeat the price that they charged to ship each TV door to door?
Thanks.
See post #13

Sure, I was quoted $750 for the 46" and $650 for the 40". So $1400 for shipping both and for the 2 of them (on Sale at JandR Music World here in NYC) I paid a total of $2,140. So a total with shipping of $3540...most 46" Sony LCDs in Santiago cost around that, so it's like I am getting a FREE TV! Plus, I know that it is new and not some refurbished return or reject.
SHALENA...................