Shipping a car through Montero

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I just wanted to make sure no additional last second "ransom" charges were added on to the total of $1,400 US door to door.

Nope! I paid nothing else...and like I said, they even brought both of them upstairs! I will use them again...
SHALENA

Reactions: windeguy

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Shalena,

Thanks so much for reporting back on this thread. When my time comes to ship TVs or other stuff I will try them. And, I will mention your name hehehehe :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena,

Thanks so much for reporting back on this thread. When my time comes to ship TVs or other stuff I will try them. And, I will mention your name hehehehe :)

Yes, I bugged Gregory so much in the last week that I don't think he'll forget me anytime soon!:cheeky: And it's almost time for Christmas!!!
SHALENA

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's good to see it all worked out and Montero are doing a great job. It's always nice to have great advertisers, I hope they get a ton of work!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's good to see it all worked out and Montero are doing a great job. It's always nice to have great advertisers, I hope they get a ton of work!

I hope so too. And so glad it worked out because I was scared sh*tless for the whole time from hearing so many horror stories about other companies. I really did expect my TVs to come to the door with the screens busted, or some dude with a Presidente in his hand telling me if I wanted my TVs I would need to pay him 10,000RD (and 500RD for his friend)!
Now if only the pic looked as good as in the store, I have to go to Codetel now to get ClaroTV, and the BluRay DVD players I snuck over here in carry-on, I forgot to buy the HDMI cables (or some cables)...it's always something!
SHALENA

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hey now that we are on this topic. How long do you all think it will take for the DR to cable companies to have HD channels? Maybe I should start a separate topic?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hey now that we are on this topic. How long do you all think it will take for the DR to cable companies to have HD channels? Maybe I should start a separate topic?

I think so far only Claro has it.......
SHALENA

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Good to hear things worked out Sking. Now make sure your house is VERY secure as you know those things are so expensive in the DR and so easy to carry out it would be very tempting to thieves.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
hey guys i just finished shipping my car through montero 2 weeks ago and must say that it was great dealing with gregory and ms joanna montero. i was charged $1500 for shipping the car and i paid about $47000 pesos for my car with "la ley del ano" the reason i paid so much in taxes was because my car is a 2005 audi thus luxury cars pay more. service from montero was top notch. i didnt even have to go to the port in haina all i did was go for the interview in the dga office and i gave montero shipping the check for the taxes and thats it. then i received a call to go pick up the car in their office in santo domingo, they even washed and waxed my car for me how great is that!!! anyone have any questions feel free to ask

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Hi, all...
I am ready to ship my car from New York to DR through Montero Shipping Company.
I learned about Montero Co. through Dr1 and a good feedback posted by Stodgord on 12-11-05 but I would like to know if Montero shipping still reliable, If has not been any change since 2005 to the present. Any advice or experience will be appreciated.
I will report my experience with them and I am going to schedule the shipping for the first days of February 2009.
Thanks

Remember...everyone...that as of January the DR-CAFTA is supposed to kick in and US autos will have zero import taxes. Keep it in mind. 2010 might be a good year to buy a car!

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
I may be reading wrong but is 47000 pesos all u paid in taxes????? isnt that a bit cheap

the reason i payed so little is because i used law 168 where the car was registered under my name for over a year. i actually should have paid less than that but i have a luxury car thus the value of the car was more.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
the reason i payed so little is because i used law 168 where the car was registered under my name for over a year. i actually should have paid less than that but i have a luxury car thus the value of the car was more.

joseinoa: Does the 168 law allows luxury cars as well?

I used the law for my 2007 honda civic-hybrid and I paid very little too.

Last edited:

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
joseinoa: Does the 168 law allows luxury cars as well?

I used the law for my 2007 honda civic-hybrid and I paid very little too.

yes it does lucille i have an audi a4 and i didnt have any problems at all. like i said just paid a little more than a regular car did

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is another thread on DR1 that informs us that automobiles were removed from the DR-CAFTA agreement just before it was signed.
I'm not sure Law 168 applies to DR-CAFTA.

It is possible joseinoa got his Audi (I assume it's under 2000cc) in with minimal duty.

I thought Law 168 did NOT exempt the shipper from the 16% ITBIS and 17% first registration taxes. I hope I'm wrong.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am fairly certain the DR CAFTA is separate from any other laws. In this case, I was pointing out that there was no reason to be optimistic about DR CAFTA removing tarrifs on US made Autos because US made Autos were reportedly removed from the DR CAFTA final agreement. So the heavy taxes on auto imports will continue for those simply importing cars from the US if they don't have some other special exemptions.
I may be wrong, but I understood that the duty for American MADE cars remained, but the duty decreased over (I think) 10 years. And THEN the gubmint instituted a one-time initial registration fee of 17% of the cars value.

There was no way the gubmint was going to give up the cash cow auto imports represent.

Jan 9, 2004
Since the signing....

of the DR-Cafta agreement several years ago, the duty on American cars has not been reduced and, as Windeguy has pointed out, at the last minute autos were removed from the final version.

The 17% first registration fee was the supposed tax equalizer for the signing of the agreement to include autos, in essence losing no, or very litttle, tax revenue. Thus taxes on autos actually increased. But, like all tax laws the world over, once instituted they are rarely repealed.

Those seeking to import an auto should try and avail themselves of Ley 168. It is, at this time, the best option for bringing a vehicle into the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I may be wrong, but I understood that the duty for American MADE cars remained, but the duty decreased over (I think) 10 years. And THEN the gubmint instituted a one-time initial registration fee of 17% of the cars value.

There was no way the gubmint was going to give up the cash cow auto imports represent.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
yes it does lucille i have an audi a4 and i didnt have any problems at all. like i said just paid a little more than a regular car did

joseinoa:

Every 5 years you can use the 168 law, so next time I can bring a better car....lol