Shipping a car to DR from NJ

Jan 9, 2004
Buying new here one would also add about 50% to the retail price of the car roughly compared to US MSRP?

The 50% figure is for a used vehicle,

While new here is much higher than the US, I do not think it rises to 50%.....but the jump in price is significant. If you want to compare, find out the new price at a dealer here and then do an internet search for the same vehicle in the US.

If it is a new American produced vehicle it comes in duty free under DR-Cafta...but you still need to factor in 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa, as well as transportation costs. That is why I say to buy new here.

The sweet spot for sending used is a 5 year old used vehicle that you personally know. Taxes are at their lowest point and you presumably have sent a vehicle you know and trust. That has been my personal preference...and I have done it 3 times.

The experience is always the same.....and always different...thanks to the lack of a consistent policy at Aduana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 12, 2005

While new here is much higher than the US, I do not think it rises to 50%.....but the jump in price is significant. If you want to compare, find out the new price at a dealer here and then do an internet search for the same vehicle in the US.

If it is a new American produced vehicle it comes in duty free under DR-Cafta...but you still need to factor in 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa, as well as transportation costs. That is why I say to buy new here.

The sweet spot for sending used is a 5 year old used vehicle that you personally know. Taxes are at their lowest point and you presumably have sent a vehicle you know and trust. That has been my personal preference...and I have done it 3 times.

The experience is always the same.....and always different...thanks to the lack of a consistent policy at Aduana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Or just makes friends with a diputado or senador and let them import the car for you ;-)

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The Mazda I was looking at yesterday CX5( new) was made in Japan, unfortunately car on CARFAX came back "wouldn't REG was made for Import"... Even a new car here, I think I need to know the History... make sure it wasn't plucked from the Ocean when a container capsized...

Jan 9, 2004
Or just makes friends with a diputado or senador and let them import the car for you ;-)

They sell them, or actually offer the exoneration out for a fee. Those looking to import higher end (expensive) vehicles are the target market for diputados and senators.

That being said, those exonerations have been restricted (as to how many times it can be used) and the vehicle must remain in the diputados or senators name for some length of time (3 years?).

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
The Mazda I was looking at yesterday CX5( new) was made in Japan, unfortunately car on CARFAX came back "wouldn't REG was made for Import"... Even a new car here, I think I need to know the History... make sure it wasn't plucked from the Ocean when a container capsized...

Carfax currently only shows those cars bought and registered in the US, or imported into the US and registered via the proper channels.

But you have touched upon a good point. New cars made for export to countries like the DR, may not be equivalent to the same car exported to the US. So it may be difficult to compare a vehicle head to head...even though they look/seem the same.

The obvious differences used to include no airbags, no pollution control systems, etc. The not so obvious are as innocuous as the gauge of metal used to make the exterior body components or the construction of the seats and the cushion padding. Seems petty.....but if you think how many vehicles are produced for export to countries outside the US and Europe, you can readily discern that a lot more profit per vehicle can be had by implementing those subtle changes.

That would not dissuade me from buying new here, but it would and does put me on alert to carefully scrutinize the vehicle.

You mention the Mazda CX-5. Mazda produces different motors on lots of their export vehicles than can be found in the US. So, if you needed an engine part in a few years, and it was from an engine not sold in the CX-5 in the US, you would likely have to source it in the DR or Japan. Such is the case for many of the Japanese right hand drive cars brought into the DR and converted to keft hand drive.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That being said, those exonerations have been restricted (as to how many times it can be used) and the vehicle must remain in the diputados or senators name for some length of time (3 years?).
/QUOTE]

Yes, will be the same for us, we cannot sell the vehicle for at least 3 years.

Alter Ego, did you ever receive your car?

Not yet. No calls today, meaning paperwork at aduana still not ready. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ufff.. today I looked at a Mazda CX7 2008, and it only had 37,000 miles on it... my bull**** meter was already on high alert..
but the car was clean, drove nice, and the engine was purring, block was clean, and the tires in excellent condition..
just finished my carfax check( free always because of my dealer buddy back in Canada)
Car came from Miami 2012, with 90,230 miles on it... when I confronted the guy selling it, he swears he had no idea...
The land of deception where nothing really seems to be the way it seems to be... I told him he owed me 25 bucks for the car fax and he gave me 300 pesos... I took it and now Im going to have some lunch, small revenge ..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I told him he owed me 25 bucks for the car fax and he gave me 300 pesos... I took it and now Im going to have some lunch, small revenge ..

You are really a class act, one assumes EVERY used car on a lot in DR has 100K + miles on it, unless you personally know the first owner. Perhaps you should give the $RD300 to the hooker you dined and dashed last year?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
You are really a class act, one assumes EVERY used car on a lot in DR has 100K + miles on it, unless you personally know the first owner. Perhaps you should give the $RD300 to the hooker you dined and dashed last year?

Who said anything about hookers mister. Me thinks you are on the wrong side of the trade today?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I see the lots of Moca full of cars with no apparent customers. Are there so many drug dealers with that kind of cash? The average Dominican is getting more poor everyday and could never afford a car, almost $5 US for gas on top of the price. People tell me cars are brought into the country to wash money. When will the laws of supply and demand drop the prices? I dont understand the economics of it.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I also can't comprehend who buys these us15-20K cars...close to 1 million RD$??? blows my mind. For example I have been looking to purchase a toyota pick up 10-12 years old and cant find them for less than $275,000 rd$... some people I know around when I mention I want an older pick up... they say what? a 2009-2010??... who got that kind of money? Not Me...that year toyota truck 4x4 goes for well over 500k rd$... who here has that kind of money??? It makes no sense, the cars sitting on lots for months and months... weird...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I have a feeling that the s@#$t will hit the fan soon or later. saw a video with a known leftist but very smart man, Narciso Isa Conde, and he said that over half the price of a gallon of gas is in taxes here going to goverment coffers!!... remenber Venezuela gives the DR preferential prices, yet the only other country with more expensive gas is Costa Rica......
Have you seen how many Porsche Cayennes we have riding around, Land Cruisers? Rovers?....

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I know one. Does the car have to be in his name for a year before sending it to DR? Or can they buy and send whenever they want?

I never knew they had special privileges in this area.....I need a jeepeta.

SHALENA

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I see the lots of Moca full of cars with no apparent customers. Are there so many drug dealers with that kind of cash? The average Dominican is getting more poor everyday and could never afford a car, almost $5 US for gas on top of the price. People tell me cars are brought into the country to wash money. When will the laws of supply and demand drop the prices? I dont understand the economics of it.

I hope by tomorrow afternoon, because I really want to buy a car, on my way to SD in the morning or sabado latest..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Got a call yesterday afternoon to come and get the car. Let me say I was astonished at the costs. In a good way, we're still a bit stunned.

Aduana charged us precisely 61,089.98. Storage charges at San Souci Port were 3747.43. A total of about $1500/USD. Plus the shipping was about $1000/USD

We were told yesterday that the first plates will be a small fraction of normal, because of the returning-Dominican-ley/exoneration. They will be valid for 5 years, and renewal will be cheap because not first plates.

I'll report back what they actually cost us once we get them.

All in all, it appears there is a big difference in exoneration of a returning Dominican as opposed to exoneration of a new permanent resident. We anticipated the costs would be much higher.

Thankfully, the brand new tires were on the car. They did help themselves to our seat covers, CDs in the radio, the cord for my iPod hookup to radio. Small, unimportant stuff. The tires are top-off-the-line Michelin Latitudes, so I would have cried if they stole them.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just as a recap, in case anyone is wondering, or have a Dominican spouse who lives in another country and are thinking about sending a car.....

The Dominican who states he is returning to live in DR cannot have spent 6 months or more in DR during the past 2 years. He/She must have proof of where they will be/are residing in DR. We brought electric bill, SKY satellite bill, and the title to our house [which we didn't need, actually the utility bills were enough]. The returning Dominican is also entitled to a container load of personal effects [we didn't do that, as our house is already fully furnished].

Car must be under 5 years old, and cannot be sold for 3 years.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I forgot something else, which applies to anyone shipping a car. Our car arrived with a just about empty gas tank, I think we had about 3/4 tank.

I questioned that, and was told that before the cars are put on the ship they empty the gas tanks 'for safety purposes'.

Is this true, or were we just sold a bill of goods???

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I forgot something else, which applies to anyone shipping a car. Our car arrived with a just about empty gas tank, I think we had about 3/4 tank.

I questioned that, and was told that before the cars are put on the ship they empty the gas tanks 'for safety purposes'.

Is this true, or were we just sold a bill of goods???

If it's for safety purposes, where's your gas?!?!?!? They can't just dump it into the sea.

Theoretically.