Shipping a car to DR from NJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If it's for safety purposes, where's your gas?!?!?!? They can't just dump it into the sea.

Theoretically.

They told us the shipping company removes it before the car goes onto the ship. If it's true, those employees must get a lot of free gas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I forgot something else, which applies to anyone shipping a car. Our car arrived with a just about empty gas tank, I think we had about 3/4 tank.

I questioned that, and was told that before the cars are put on the ship they empty the gas tanks 'for safety purposes'.

Is this true, or were we just sold a bill of goods???

Glad it all worked out for you -- and cheaply !!!

Re: Gas........I was told to deliver the car w/ 1/4 tank or less for shipping.... and I did.

I had nothing missing - Caucedo, January 2009

Jan 9, 2004
Got a call yesterday afternoon to come and get the car. Let me say I was astonished at the costs. In a good way, we're still a bit stunned.

Aduana charged us precisely 61,089.98. Storage charges at San Souci Port were 3747.43. A total of about $1500/USD. Plus the shipping was about $1000/USD

We were told yesterday that the first plates will be a small fraction of normal, because of the returning-Dominican-ley/exoneration. They will be valid for 5 years, and renewal will be cheap because not first plates.

I'll report back what they actually cost us once we get them.

All in all, it appears there is a big difference in exoneration of a returning Dominican as opposed to exoneration of a new permanent resident. We anticipated the costs would be much higher.

Thankfully, the brand new tires were on the car. They did help themselves to our seat covers, CDs in the radio, the cord for my iPod hookup to radio. Small, unimportant stuff. The tires are top-off-the-line Michelin Latitudes, so I would have cried if they stole them.

Indeed, a pleasant surprise. Lets see how much you save on first placa...that normally runs 17% of the value of the car.

As to your question concerning gasoline in the tank, they drain them prior to placing them on the ship. It is a safety issue.

One question for you if I may; Is there a length of time you needed to own/register the vehicle in the US to qualify?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I don't want to beat this horse much more, but what the heck, seems like fairly slow times on DR1 at the moment. Does anyone know of a reputable company or person who might just do all of the necessary work to get the used car here from the U.S.? I would just get the car to Miami and have them take over from there. I would take delivery in Santo Domingo or La Romana (looks like a deep port, but don't know if they do much freight). AlterEgo rerfers to someone in Santo Domingo who helped her with this RD end of it. I may just pm playacaribe2 later, seems like he knows a lot about this. Thanks (yes I know my expectations might be too high, just asking, need to look at all angles).

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Whether you buy a used car here or have one shipped in, you still pay "the piper" no matter what!!! I guess some people enjoy going thru all the extra Bull&@#t paperwork, payoffs, running around and headaches getting a car shipped here. After a few weeks on these roads, it will join the ranks of the other used cars that are sold here anyways with CRIOLLO parts!!!!!!!!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Yeah, I have time to do it, but there are so many possible hard things that can happen. One reason to do it would be to get the experience and help other people later. For cash. Then I too could have the Porsche Cayenne : ) Nah, maybe the Escalade.

Jan 9, 2004
First plates today.....48,000 pesos :cry:

By my calculations, your total all in costs are at/near $4,000 USD. Around a third lower than I thought they would be...although I could have sworn you had a 2010 Venza...and that is what my calculations were based on.

Nonetheless, that is a victory....any way you slice it.

Now go and enjoy those roads.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, it all worked out -- nice work AE.

I am a bit of a contrarian, I think it can be done (importing)....
what discount did you get on the import tax - do you know?

That car will last you a long time here.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
By my calculations, your total all in costs are at/near $4,000 USD. Around a third lower than I thought they would be...although I could have sworn you had a 2010 Venza...and that is what my calculations were based on.

Nonetheless, that is a victory....any way you slice it.

Now go and enjoy those roads.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Very close - just under $4000. To tell you the truth, I expected it to be much higher, but I have this pesky pessimistic nature.

Yes, it's a 2009, with about 30k miles on it, we bought it new and it wasn't used much. Hopefully it will last a long time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, it all worked out -- nice work AE.

I am a bit of a contrarian, I think it can be done (importing)....
what discount did you get on the import tax - do you know?

That car will last you a long time here.....

The initial taxes on it were over 270,000, so we were pleasantly stunned at 61K.

BLH

Aug 17, 2013
Car Purchase that involved cash transaction with private individual

Hello,
Can someone tell me how to engage in a safe transaction purchasing a car from a private individual? Is there a place the money can be deposited, rather than carrying it to the person? Any advice would be much appreciated!

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I am in the process of importing a 2008 tahoe and i have a contact in Miami handling it for me. but honestly i dont think i would recommend her. we have been waiting 2 1/2 weeks for the transporter to pick the truck up in new jersey to bring it to miami. granted there have been several snow storms but they are too slow. to date the truck has still not been picked up.

I don't want to beat this horse much more, but what the heck, seems like fairly slow times on DR1 at the moment. Does anyone know of a reputable company or person who might just do all of the necessary work to get the used car here from the U.S.? I would just get the car to Miami and have them take over from there. I would take delivery in Santo Domingo or La Romana (looks like a deep port, but don't know if they do much freight). AlterEgo rerfers to someone in Santo Domingo who helped her with this RD end of it. I may just pm playacaribe2 later, seems like he knows a lot about this. Thanks (yes I know my expectations might be too high, just asking, need to look at all angles).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To tie up the end of our saga..... when Mr. AE got his license plate last Monday, they gave him the marbete. He went and paid his 45 pesos for the revista, but his brother warned him there was a several hour wait for the actual inspection in SD, so he left the city and came home.

On Wednesday we drove up north to visit Matilda for a few days, and Mr. AE's brother called and suggested he go to Mao for the inspection. So Thursday a.m. Mr. AE and Mr. Matilda went into Mao, where it took less than 10 minutes.

We're now DONE, until it's time for new stickers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am in the process of importing a 2008 tahoe and i have a contact in Miami handling it for me. but honestly i dont think i would recommend her. we have been waiting 2 1/2 weeks for the transporter to pick the truck up in new jersey to bring it to miami. granted there have been several snow storms but they are too slow. to date the truck has still not been picked up.

Can I ask you why you didn't ship it from NJ? Ours went out of Bayonne without a hitch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine too , went out of NJ.... Elizabeth, if I recall..... it was picked up at my house with all my furniture for 1 forty foot container.

Benchmark in Essington PA did all the work stateside, Hispaniola Freight at this end..... nothing to it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mine too , went out of NJ.... Elizabeth, if I recall..... it was picked up at my house with all my furniture for 1 forty foot container.

Benchmark in Essington PA did all the work stateside, Hispaniola Freight at this end..... nothing to it.

You can also drive the car to the shipper instead of shipping it to the port, that's what we did. They were in Linden, NJ.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whenyou do the container, they drop it off for 2 hours (free as part of the shipping charge)....you load the furniture and car all at once......... usually you need a flatbed to boost the car into the container.

Truly, it was 'no muss, no fuss'.... even at the arrival port -Caucedo

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Awesome job AlterEgo!
I have 4-1/2 years to think about shipping my Venza (2013).
I appreciate all your info and I am pleasantly surprised with your ending price.
Let's hope this works out similarly for me.