Shipping a container FROM the DR TO the U.S.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Does anyone have experience sending a shipping container FROM the DR To the U.S.and/or point me in the right direction on the process,plenty of info on DR1 in regards to going in the opposite direction but I can't seem to find any info on going DR - U.S. It will be loaded with very heavy steel equipment parts if that makes a difference Thanks in advance..

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Does anyone have experience sending a shipping container FROM the DR To the U.S.and/or point me in the right direction on the process,plenty of info on DR1 in regards to going in the opposite direction but I can't seem to find any info on going DR - U.S. It will be loaded with very heavy steel equipment parts if that makes a difference Thanks in advance..

You can do this with ease by contacting a broker agent here in DR.
They will book your container and prepare the export docs you’ll need for the US customs clearance.

Keep in mind that US and DR have a free trade agreement called Cafta-DR, which mandates certain traded goods be exempt of VAT / Tariffs if it complied with the rules.

If you don’t know the code of your goods, either you can access the list online at DR customs or the agent can procure these for you.

I can recommend a broker agent if you can’t find one for this if you need it.

The rates for truck transport from your location and the port is fixed and will be offered via the broker agent. The port fees are also fixed based on the type of export, size of containers and service type needed for FOB.

A 10+4 must be filed before the container is shipped and notice of arrival will be submitted prior to landing.
Since this is a one time import, your container will be pulled aside for examination by customs and/or agriculture for bugs.

This is by no means cheap, and final cost depends on how long it’s held at inspections then moved back to the yard for import clearance. If the time at exams goes over the free time by the liner, then you must also pay a demurrage fee. This fee scales up depending on how long the container remains unclaimed at the yard.

You can create an importer account depending on which port of landing will you use. There you can pay liner fees, port fees and other charges directly (most don’t take Amex only Mg or visa.

Also you can set up you account to receive notices about your containers as well.

You’ll need both a shipping agent/broker and an import agent/broker to carry what you put down here.

Since you are doing the shipping yourself, in this case loading the container and sending it to the port, you will pay for the container rental term to the liner you selected, the trucking fees to move it to the port and port fees to load it into the vessel and fees related to exports. This will include booking fees and related costs like insurance, fumigation, etc...