Shipping companies in Haiti?

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
I am considering returning to Haiti and I want to ship goods in preferably Cap Haitien.
I have been out of Haiti for over 10 years now so not sure who the operators in the harbors are right now.
Does anyone have suggestions?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I am considering returning to Haiti and I want to ship goods in preferably Cap Haitien.
I have been out of Haiti for over 10 years now so not sure who the operators in the harbors are right now.

If you are affiliated with a church, try MFI, Missionary Flights International, out of Fort Pierce Florida. They have a website. They are awesome. I haven't used them in 5 years or so, but my experiences with them was always A+++++++++++

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
If you are affiliated with a church, try MFI, Missionary Flights International, out of Fort Pierce Florida. They have a website. They are awesome. I haven't used them in 5 years or so, but my experiences with them was always A+++++++++++

Boat would be cheaper though right? Hoping they are still charing by square foot and not weight.

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
I never used a boat so can't comment. In fact, MFI was the only shipper I ever used.
thank you so much I will look into it. I know about them never used them. Back when I was in the Nord region Lynx air was the main airline for goods and transportation. A disgusting company run and operated by thugs and low rung dunce fools.
they were bought out and a new company operates in the region.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
thank you so much I will look into it. I know about them never used them. Back when I was in the Nord region Lynx air was the main airline for goods and transportation. A disgusting company run and operated by thugs and low rung dunce fools.
they were bought out and a new company operates in the region.

I remember Lynx. We took them a couple of times way over 10 years ago. The last time was from WPB and they couldn't find the plane on the tarmac. True story.

Reactions: Okap82

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
I remember Lynx. We took them a couple of times way over 10 years ago. The last time was from WPB and they couldn't find the plane on the tarmac. True story.
oh man I can give you 100 horror stories with those filthy animals. The way they treated the very rare tourists who came to visit. A friend of mine from the bahamas got stuck in the country because they grounded the flights due to a storm. rather thna get him on the next flight he got stuck in Haiti for nearly a month. Of course he has never come back.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You did not say but I am assuming from Florida? Not the DR? Since by sea, right? Obviously from the DR - truck is easier.

You probably have this since it was a simple google search.. but sometimes there are things to be found in the USA that are not found on the internet in the DR and I don't know where you are right now.. https://kingocean.com/services/haiti/

Reactions: Okap82

Okap82

Nov 22, 2021
USA
You did not say but I am assuming from Florida? Not the DR? Since by sea, right? Obviously from the DR - truck is easier.

You probably have this since it was a simple google search.. but sometimes there are things to be found in the USA that are not found on the internet in the DR and I don't know where you are right now.. https://kingocean.com/services/haiti/
I am currently in the north east of the USA. I would like to ship good from Portland Maine or Boston or NYC if possible.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am currently in the north east of the USA. I would like to ship good from Portland Maine or Boston or NYC if possible.
Well - You can more likely get someone from Portland to deliver them to the shipper from Florida. I have never shipped anything into Haiti so am just speculating. But that is the way I would try to plan it were I you.

My family always used Mayflower as the most reliable shipper but there are certainly others who are bonded, insured, honest and can make a secure delivery for you. I would expect their prices would all be similar. There is a huge shortage of truck drivers in the USA now so prices will probably be high.

When I moved from the US to the DR, I just sold everything and came with a backpack, a laptop and a guitar. I was 55. I know folks who shipped containers down for a cost of around $5k (??) was it?? but WAY back in 2001!! Perhaps other board members could tell you the prices to ship to the DR.
When I came back from the DR in 2016, bringing art, a few clothes and curtains packed in hand made trunks , some souvenirs and my precious handmade rocking chair. The shipper charged by the cubic foot. So I guess that is how they do it for anything less than a full container.

I don't know Okap at all - or what is available there.

But I do know that buying things like air conditioners and stoves and fridge.. all are easily available in the DR - plus they have imports from South America which are much smaller, and run by gas. Plus there is an Ikea in Sto. Dom and lots of very heavy mahogany furniture easily bought in Santo Domingo Este.

But - Then you would - have the challenge of getting a Dominican to transport them from Santo Domingo to Dajabon - which the folks here on DR1 could probably find for you... and getting someone in Okap to meet him at the border. The border at Ouanminte/Dajabon is a simple but dirt road crossing.

An Adventure for sure. I used to have a fantastic sense of adventure. But the DR/Haitian border is probably not such a fun place right now.

(after I have done all that, of course, I am exhausted! And when I was considering moving to Haiti FROM the DR, one of the Haitians that I was consulting said "DON"T bring anything from there. We have wonderful handmade furniture here." But - I would assume that it all in PauP which is very dangerous now.)

All to say that I am simply challenging you to reconsider the expense and burden of shipping goods? And to consider which ones. Who knows? You maybe a backpack, laptop, and guitar sorta guy.

My great-uncle, who was very, very wise - always advised my about travel :"Take half the clothes and twice the money."

That being said, my next door neighbors here near West Palm Beach are Haitian and every Christmas they LOAD their pick-up with all sorts of stuff destined for Haiti. So I will ask them how they do it. They would be shipping to PauP but perhaps the company ships to the Cap as well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does the Haitian government offers something similar as the Dominican government? Dominican citizens are allowed to ship (in their first move to the DR only) their goods duty free (have to apply for it first via online and/or the closest Dominican consulate/embassy, not many expats probably know about this since it's available to Dominican citizens only) and this includes big items such as cars. If the Haitian government offers this to Haitian citizens, you should take advantage. Lots of savings by importing stuff and not paying taxes on it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I checked with my neighbors and he said that he has not actually shipped anything to Haiti. All the things that he and his wife collect and pack up into their truck have been for other Haitians here in the neighborhood. (His daughter, who was raised here, returned to PauP and runs a pretty large ice making business there and continues to stay there. He reports that he has friends who work in Martissant and live 30 minutes away and have not been able to cross to go home in more than a month -- which gives you an idea of how bad things are in PauP)

He has said that he will ask around.

But he agreed that buying anything really needed and crossing the border from Dajabon would be the very best option now.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anything sent to the DR will most likely have taxes levied and must be paid before they allow it out of the port. Then there might be more taxes levied by the Haitian government (not sure). Might have to pay taxes twice.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Anything sent to the DR will most likely have taxes levied and must be paid before they allow it out of the port. Then there might be more taxes levied by the Haitian government (not sure). Might have to pay taxes twice.

There are import taxes at airports in Haiti, so I would expect them at the borders also.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi

Normally 15% tax for imports plus a broker fee for clearance. Plus only certain individuals can enter. Plus charges if stored and not cleared. Which happens.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Should the OP ever return to this forum,

and should he opt in the end for the Sto.Dom option, I can most likely put him in touch with a Haitian/Dominican that has/had a large pick-up. He is the former boyfriend of a Peace Corps worker friend of mine. (She is married now and has just had her first baby!!! but I am sure she could find him should he be wanted)

There was a post on another thread that the transport union of the DR has advised all Dominican truck drivers to not enter Haiti but drop their deliveries at the border. (This is actually something that the Haitian truck drivers have wanted for years!)