Shipping Containers thru POP

elbronco718

Mar 11, 2018
I'm thinking of shipping a container from the states to POP port, with about 3-bedrooms worth of items. Any brave souls here ever navigated the scary world of customs at puerto plata port? I'm a total newbie and looking to furnish a 3 bedroom. What should I expect when my items arrive? Anyway way of filling out any forms online prior to arrival.
The service im using is port to port. I guess my next question is, would it relatively normal for one to find a moving company capable of taking a containers worth of items from the port to puerto plata city?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You need a freight forwarder - for a container
Search Benchmark in PA

POP port is the WORST in the country.... avoid it at all costs

Caucedo is the port of choice.... near SDQ airport

Talk to Hispaniola Freight in SD to arrange.... they are the brokers for incoming
Wendoline de Pena---- use my name

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
You need a freight forwarder - for a container
Search Benchmark in PA

POP port is the WORST in the country.... avoid it at all costs

Caucedo is the port of choice.... near SDQ airport

Talk to Hispaniola Freight in SD to arrange.... they are the brokers for incoming
Wendoline de Pena---- use my name
I keep hearing POP is the worst, but why is it the worst? Corruption?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is true that it is best to avoid POP for shipping containers. Ship it elsewhere and good luck. It is likely you will be screwed anyway...

If this shipment is not the one that is allowed during your first residency period as a new legal resident, the customs charges will be nasty.

In any event you will need a competent freight forwarder who completely undersands the paperwork. Make sure you get a firm fixed price quote including delivery to your location, and help unpacking if need that as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At my import..... a few people like me (container importers) were waiting at the Aduana for processing.

The big man/head man came out and warned everybody about the POP docks -
saying they charged 100 peso entry fee - illegal.... and some other warnings

I remember thinking - What a waste of time!!
Every person he was preaching to had already rec'd their container.
That's why we were sitting there !!!

Too little - too late