Shipping from DR to the US

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Interested in finding out about shipping 1-2 blue barrels from the DR back to the US, specifically Washington DC.
Are there any companies that do this?
Thanks in advance.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
No takers? Even the general area would probably work.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe try calling BMCargo and EPS and ask them.

I believe BMCargo now offers returning packages that were received.

Cost is probably going to be very high if you do find someone.

Reactions: Auryn

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
No takers? Even the general area would probably work.
Only bad nrws. A few years ago, I had some scuba manuals that were no longer current. The manuals were worth more than 30 dollars each. The printer was willing to send me new manuals at no cost. All I had to do was send the old manuals back to them in the states. My sister put hours into the research. In the end the books went to the states in a suitcase, because shipping costs were more than the value of the books. Good luck!

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I bought a drone recently and it was defective. I had to talk to the manager at BM cargo to ship it back. The girls on the desk didn't know what to do. My wife sent her passport thru BM cargo and she had to talk to the manager who called Miami to send it on an alternative route.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Can anyone on here provide us with a detailed explanation as to why it's so difficult to
ship small items from the Dominican Republic up to the United States?
I mean seriously...
you can ship almost anything from far away countries like China or India for pennies on
the dollar and it will arrive within (prior to Covid) a few days.

Reactions: NotLurking

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
……why it's so difficult to ship small items from the Dominican Republic up to the United States?

🤔🤔…Asked my shipper this question…sometime ago …and his answer was …money! …Almost everyone gets a cut of the “fees” you pay for imports ….DGII included …$200 threshold or not ….the shipper…the transportation from A to B in DR …etc ….Not sure if exports have the same structure….Plus ….volume! ….demand for imports to DR is higher …at the consumer level at least…and perhaps way more lucrative for DR companies.

So basically, exports ..at the consumer level are under the …”no vale la pena” category.

Reactions: CristoRey

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Most shippers are licensed to import, not export....you need a permit to be able to export ..... The only way to do it is go to a container shipper and see if you can rent space on a container.... easy to bring in, but difficult to export.....

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
🤔🤔…Asked my shipper this question…sometime ago …and his answer was …money! …Almost everyone gets a cut of the “fees” you pay for imports ….DGII included …$200 threshold or not ….the shipper…the transportation from A to B in DR …etc ….Not sure if exports have the same structure….Plus ….volume! ….demand for imports to DR is higher …at the consumer level at least…and perhaps way more lucrative for DR companies.

So basically, exports ..at the consumer level are under the …”no vale la pena” category.
Exports can be done, but the doc requirements are a PITA.

I was involved in an effort to assume operations of the local post office many years ago, but it was the US who really put a damper on the whole thing.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Exports can be done, but the doc requirements are a PITA.

I was involved in an effort to assume operations of the local post office many years ago, but it was the US who really put a damper on the whole thing.
PITA?
The amount of money low to medium income families (especially young unwed mothers) could generate by losening export controls allowing them to ship/ sell small items to the USA is staggering.
I am thinking about starting to do some research into what it will require to set one up. There has got to be a way to run one in today's world and make it profitable.