Shipping in a blue barrel, wondering if the items I'm bringing will pass customs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
60 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But you have to put it through a wood chipper first!!!!!
I have probably shipped 50 boxes from Boston to SD in the last 10 years, maybe MORE!
Had EVERYTHING inside, computers, fans, 26 inch flatscreen Computer monitors, power tools new stuff/old stuff, you name it!!!!!!
Most APPEAR to have been opened, then just sealed up again.
Some look like they actually took a few things out then put them back in.
NEVER paid anything more than the shipping charges to the ?Mudanza? company.
Believe me, THEY KNOW HOW to take care of the customs agents!!!!!!
When I worked at a big hospital here, we received dozens of 40 foot long shipping containers.
They were brought, unopened, from Haina to the hospital in SD.
Two custom agents always came to ?Over See" the merchandise as it was unloaded.
$100 US apiece, and they just left!!!!!
What A Country!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I must be losing my mind....

I just caught myself agreeing with CCCologne.

I think I'll go back to bed.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Aug 6, 2006
I would say, get a barrel, then get a measuring tape. Then measure the barrel and the TV. The answer should then be apparent.
Allow a couple of inches for packing something soft around it. Paper towels, bubble wrap, etc.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Alright, so let's make sure I've got this right. From this post and previous posts I've gathered that I can do 55 gallon drums or a box. And, I can make my own box out of plywood and 2x4's (I think I remember reading that somewhere). I call up one of these movers, and say, "hey I've got a box ?X?X?, how much to ship it?. I label it with what actually in it, or say it's all food and clothes? Put some kit kats, or something I don't mind loosing at the front, drive my box to NYC, they load it, ship it, and deliver it to my house a few weeks later. Maybe, but it is highly unlikely, I will end up paying a little more if they open my box and it has a TV or what not in it.

Correct?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
all the TV specs give the actual measurements....

we just need the size of the barrel mouth...

remember, the quoted screen size is the hypotenuse..... the diagonal

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Alright, so let's make sure I've got this right. From this post and previous posts I've gathered that I can do 55 gallon drums or a box. And, I can make my own box out of plywood and 2x4's (I think I remember reading that somewhere). I call up one of these movers, and say, "hey I've got a box ?X?X?, how much to ship it?. I label it with what actually in it, or say it's all food and clothes? Put some kit kats, or something I don't mind loosing at the front, drive my box to NYC, they load it, ship it, and deliver it to my house a few weeks later. Maybe, but it is highly unlikely, I will end up paying a little more if they open my box and it has a TV or what not in it.

Correct?

correct.... I'll try to find my old post on box (wooden) shipping

I have shipped TV's right in the box from the store..... mudanzas fee included importing fees

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Holy crap. I want my knives, and my good cookware, and my tools, and my damn beach chairs! All the stuff I want, and am too cheap to pay the inflated prices down here is sitting in my storage back home just waiting! Gonna be a Merry Christmas this year!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Holy crap. I want my knives, and my good cookware, and my tools, and my damn beach chairs! All the stuff I want, and am too cheap to pay the inflated prices down here is sitting in my storage back home just waiting! Gonna be a Merry Christmas this year!

Deep 6
it will pay you to ship the stuff down just to rid yourself of the storage

They come to your house , price it pack it , ship it...
if you're in their territory

When we cleaned out a NYC apartment - they came and collected it all, we paid and it arrived in Cabrera 3 weeks later.

easy , peasy
they'll come to your storage unit for sure

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
SIX, your maid, or any dominicano in your house WILL ruin your knives, and steal your tools!
They believe that knives are an ALL PURPOSE tool, hammer, screwdriver, saw, and MOST important, a Can Opener!!!!
The moving company will ship ANY SIZE TV you give them in it's original box, and tell you how much it will cost you including any import duties.
The plastic barrel is NOT 55 gallons, but about 33 gallons.
You can't get a TV inside anyway.
It has ALMOST reached the point that you should buy the TV here.
The wait, hastle, and fact that you may have a broken TV and no warantee when it gets here makes it a close call.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
SIX, your maid, or any dominicano in your house WILL ruin your knives, and steal your tools!/QUOTE]

Jig saw went missing within one week of moving here! And my handyman uses my good(****ty La Sirena) kitchen knife for everything! It's ridiculous.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when we left for holidays i wrapped our expensive knives in a towel and hid them in a wardrobe.

Aug 6, 2006
There are several sizes of blue plastic barrels. You could easily put a flatscreen of a decent size in a 30 or 55 gallon barrel. They cost at least twice as much in the DR as in the US, if you know how to shop around.

It might be better to buy one here, since if it quit working, you could not use the warranty.

snoode

Jul 25, 2014
have sent many barrels ,all went through no problem, contained electronics, ceiling fans, microwave, tool, clothes, food. only one was opened and the only things stolen were costume jewelry and a large hunting knife I pay around 140 from NJ door to door

Jan 9, 2004
The established blue barrel/box shippers probably have a better track record then a lot of the post office workers.

There are literally dozens of stories involving USPS workers and failure to deliver mail.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone sending a barrel down soon?

I'm in the market for a laptop and don't want to pay the import fee.