Shipping presceiptions to DR

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Well, my May flight has been cancelled. I saw the local pharmacist on Friday and she says she cannot get most of my prescriptions or any substitute. Four years ago it wasn't an issue.

I know that FedEx can ship them by providing documents from my doctor in Canada, but don't know if customs will allow them in the country. Anyone have experience with this?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, my May flight has been cancelled. I saw the local pharmacist on Friday and she says she cannot get most of my prescriptions or any substitute. Four years ago it wasn't an issue.

I know that FedEx can ship them by providing documents from my doctor in Canada, but don't know if customs will allow them in the country. Anyone have experience with this?

This is precisely what I feared, and the main reason we took a ferry flight out. You should have NO problems with customs, many, many people have their prescriptions sent in through mail forwarders. Stay well.

Reactions: snowqueen

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is precisely what I feared, and the main reason we took a ferry flight out. You should have NO problems with customs, many, many people have their prescriptions sent in through mail forwarders. Stay well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm curious about the need for a prescription to be sent thru a mail forwarding company. Current law in U.S. is that all prescriptions must be sent electronically to the pharmacy. No problem, but I am now assuming from your reply the the DR does not honor an electronic prescription. Is that correct?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I've had no problems refilling through Costco for delivery to EPS Miami and further delivery to Sosua. It's much less expensive than buying here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I've had no problems refilling through Costco for delivery to EPS Miami and further delivery to Sosua. It's much less expensive than buying here.
been doing the same for years through encargo pac. no problems ever

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm curious about the need for a prescription to be sent thru a mail forwarding company. Current law in U.S. is that all prescriptions must be sent electronically to the pharmacy. No problem, but I am now assuming from your reply the the DR does not honor an electronic prescription. Is that correct?
If you re-read the OP, the problem is that the "ACTUAL" medicine can no longer be gotten here.

Not a problem with a prescription (The paper it is written on).

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
This is what I understood from the pharmacist. She said she could not get them even with a prescription

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Mom CB had all her prescriptions shipped from a Canadian pharmacy via EPS with no problems at all.

They required a longer lead time, but it is definitely possible with no delays by customs..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you re-read the OP, the problem is that the "ACTUAL" medicine can no longer be gotten here.

Yep. I read "prescrition

Yep. I read "prescription" and had an immediate perception of "paper", not the actual meds. Sorry.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I know that FedEx can ship them by providing documents from my doctor in Canada, but don't know if customs will allow them in the country.

No guarantees that any outcome will come to pass, but the odds are good if sent directly from Canada, with the correct paperwork to you in the DR, Aduanas should let them in provided the amounts are reasonable for personal use and match the prescription. FedEx to the DR for a 1lb package is going to cost in the neighborhood of $100 plus the FedEx customs brokerage fees and probably some tax as the meds will probably total more than the $200 limit (since $100 of the allowance is being eaten up by the shipping charges).

However, if you opted to ship from Canada thought the USA to a freight forwarder in Miami to save some shipping expenses, there could be a hiccup with CBP, especially seeing as the meds are not being accompanied by the person named on the script.

The US Customs website has lots of info on moving medications around and through the US.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No guarantees that any outcome will come to pass, but the odds are good if sent directly from Canada, with the correct paperwork to you in the DR, Aduanas should let them in provided the amounts are reasonable for personal use and match the prescription. FedEx to the DR for a 1lb package is going to cost in the neighborhood of $100 plus the FedEx customs brokerage fees and probably some tax as the meds will probably total more than the $200 limit (since $100 of the allowance is being eaten up by the shipping charges).

However, if you opted to ship from Canada thought the USA to a freight forwarder in Miami to save some shipping expenses, there could be a hiccup with CBP, especially seeing as the meds are not being accompanied by the person named on the script.

The US Customs website has lots of info on moving medications around and through the US.
In six years, my mom never had a problem shipping medications through EPS. Never a hold up.

Once they charged excessive duty, and that got reversed.