Shipping wine in Blue tanke... Have you done it ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I would like to ship some wine bottles from the states to the DR. I'm wondering, even with the best of wrapping, your opinions, on that working. Has anyone on board done it? Additionally, same question for jarred tomatoes. Mason jar, with lid and screw cap. Sounds risky to me but maybe someone here knows the answer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve not shipped either, but I’ve shipped fragile wine glasses and other glass items. Most got there okay. I wrap each one heavily in something fabric....clothing, sheets, towels, tablecloths, etc. That being said, I’ve also had sealed gallon cans of olive oil spill, and a bread machine arrive with a whole side dented in, so make sure the fragile stuff is in the middle.

Plum tomatoes are everywhere in DR, maybe buy one of these and ship it there instead.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A friend shipped wine.... as AE describes... wrapped bottle by bottle
The temp isn't good for it .. but.... it can be done

Jan 9, 2004
I would like to ship some wine bottles from the states to the DR. I'm wondering, even with the best of wrapping, your opinions, on that working. Has anyone on board done it? Additionally, same question for jarred tomatoes. Mason jar, with lid and screw cap. Sounds risky to me but maybe someone here knows the answer.

Importation of alcohol without paying the taxes due is forbidden (airline and ship passengers are exempted for nominal amounts).

As long as your box/barrel is not screened and detected you will be ok.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mudanzas regularly bring in TVs/stoves/fridges.... the import is all incl in the price
Albeit a special price for them... not your regular tax

I have 2 boxes coming now
1 is a $600 water pump.... cost ? for both ?
$100

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I’ve not shipped either, but I’ve shipped fragile wine glasses and other glass items. Most got there okay. I wrap each one heavily in something fabric....clothing, sheets, towels, tablecloths, etc. That being said, I’ve also had sealed gallon cans of olive oil spill, and a bread machine arrive with a whole side dented in, so make sure the fragile stuff is in the middle.

Plum tomatoes are everywhere in DR, maybe buy one of these and ship it there instead.
This is a good piece of information' I have made canned tomatoes all my adult life with a machine I imported from Italy. End of August first week of Sept is when I'v done it. Usually 200 jars which I then distribute among family and very close friends. I am in the process of selling my house in NYC so the discussion came up that this is the last year at my house and the jars and cooking equipment need to be moved in Sept. I use the autoclave method of sterilization so the tomatoes require no refrigeration. Given the fact that I will now be living in a climate with tomatoes year round and my access to a good supply of them in SD I think I will go back to the hand method of of crank and strain. LOL. It will fill in the time on hot afternoon in my AC apt. BTW I simply (now) take the skin off with a 15 second dip in rapidly boil water. Comes right off and to my mind makes a finer pasta sauce.

Reactions: Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Granny removed the skins the same short boil way.
Back in the day (1943-1950) everything was processed/canned/dried and smoked at home for the Winter months.
I can only account for the times since 1943 because I did not exist before then!
We even made sauerkraut when the moon was full.
I don't think I have tasted smoked ham like it was in the 50's since then......
Keep on preserving it is the healthiest option.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have not experienced shipping wine as an individual.
The risk is far too high for breakage.
I shed enough tears when I spill a glass of wine.... cant imagine what I would do if a few bottles were broken.
Many large Wineries are boxing wines...if they are to your liking.... better chance of survival.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Boxed Wine

It has the quality, but the mage is so bad they stopped advertising and now go like 'Tupper Ware' parties
Blind tastings..... the boxed stuff wins its share
Enough to sell

Screw cap wines stores better than fake cork which is better than real cork
Boxed wine is a really good alternative... stores very well... no air enters

Yes - I drink it

Reactions: ctrob

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was interested in shipping my own wine that I have because of the sale of my house in the states. I'v given that idea up for a couple of reasons since aside from breakage the wines would spoil with the heat. My son will be the winner of the lottery.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was interested in shipping my own wine that I have because of the sale of my house in the states. I'v given that idea up for a couple of reasons since aside from breakage the wines would spoil with the heat. My son will be the winner of the lottery.
I was going to volunteer 😍🥰😍

Reactions: I love Azua

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I shipped one bottle of Plum wine several years back in a cargo box of stuff.

It was VERY WELL protected, insulated and placed in the center of the box.

No complaints from the person I gave it to.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend's shipment survived well.....

Try and send a few... if a success... more later

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We have shipped about 6 bag-in-box’s, 5 liters each. 10 Tio Pépé’s. All in blue tanks. I don’t know the quality of the BIB of USA and Canada, but in Belgium and France pretty good Bordeaux, Bourgogne, Chablis are being sold in BIB.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I would suppose shipping the bottles of wine would be better in the North East winter rather than now. Our temps here have been running at 87 degrees every day. Might be better than boiling the wine in a fine vinegar.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
One of my admirers/stalkers asked me if I know so much about wine, why did I not contribute to this thread line.
While I am humbled in that he possesses constant thoughts of me, I must state that I have not contributed because I have never had wine shipped within blue tanks, as the OP had asked.
I have had properly packaged crates air delivered though.