Shorts and flip flops- it must be a gringo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
how far are people prepared to assimilated ? should we be wearing sarongs in tonga and kimonos in japan and bowler hats in peru ? and whats so frightening about legs anyway lol

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a question. What do Dominican men wear to the beach besides the obvious bathing trunk if they are in the water?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To the beach? Shorts. It's not as rigid as people are suggesting, at least not in Santo Domingo. I've seen "real" middle class/upper middle class Dominicans wearing shorts during their leisure time quite often, even in the city, e.g. in less formal restaurants in the daytime.

Santiago is more conservative, remember.

Mar 2, 2008
"how far are people prepared to assimilated ? should we be wearing sarongs in tonga and kimonos in japan and bowler hats in peru ? and whats so frightening about legs anyway lol"

As any sociologist will tell you, assimilation is a two-way street. When cultures collide, there is always give and take of ideas, styles, perceptions, etc.

Any country, and/or culture, that wants to survive in the long run, is not afraid to change and grow. Historically, no static culture has lasted very long.

I am not claiming that shorts and flip flops will become de rigueur within Santiago high society, but they will probably be accepted, or at least tolerated, at some point. That is simply the way of assimilation and adaptation.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its a tradition from the taino indians, they were never seen out without long trousers and a polo shirt

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
its a tradition from the taino indians, they were never seen out without long trousers and a polo shirt

This is true - there is even archaeological evidence to suggest that the 'ridiculously pointy leather souled shoe' was first worn by the Tainos in pre-Colombian days.

Mar 2, 2008
"This is true - there is even archaeological evidence to suggest that the 'ridiculously pointy leather souled shoe' was first worn by the Tainos in pre-Colombian days."

A proven fact.

And another proven, but little known fact; The Tainos were actually the first to popularize the polka-dotted polyester trousers that Cobra now sports.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh yes the original taino wear

s-taino.jpg

Who was it again that introduced them to long pants?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
This is not a joke when i am giving a plea do all you gringos in santiago to stop strutting around town with your shorts, flip flops and muscle tank tops. YOU GUYS stick out like a sore thumb. Please look around and notice that here in the DR your baywatch attire is for the beach only.

Just last week i am eating at a nice place near the monument and in walks joe gringo in his shorts and sandles wearing a black tank top and a baseball hat. He thought he looked so good and made sure and talked loud when he entered to let everyone know he was in the house.

I know people are going to say its his choice what to wear and what do i care. Well i care because its guys like that and all the other beach bum dressing david hasselhoff wanabes giving the rest of americans a bad image.ok wear your shorts in the streets during the day if you really need to. your on vacation and you need to relax. But can you please just put on a pair of jeans and even a t-shirt when you go out to eat or to a bar at night.

If you want to wear shorts your whole vacation take some advice and stay at a AI or at a tourist town like sosua where you and your flip flops will fit in just fine.

Just another close minded person. You should dress based on how comfortable you feel with the cloth and the weather, not on how somebody else may think. One thing that I would never do in Dominican Republic is wear a suit, because for me the weather is not proper, but hey some people look very comfortable here wearing a suit and they should if they want to.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"This is true - there is even archaeological evidence to suggest that the 'ridiculously pointy leather souled shoe' was first worn by the Tainos in pre-Colombian days."

A proven fact.

And another proven, but little known fact; The Tainos were actually the first to popularize the polka-dotted polyester trousers that Cobra now sports.
Retro is cool...;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Bottom line is as long as its legal to wear the clothing and the place doesn't have a dress code your all preaching to the choir.

Maybe some of the people complaining about a dress code should open a bar/restaurant and have a stricter dress code?

Apparently the current restaurant owners seem to feel these sharply dressed people alone can't make up for the lost revenue the inappaorpriately dressed people spend.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert is right, Now I have a clear idea, who lives in sosua and who lives in real cities of DR. The tourist opinion doesn't count at all.
Now you also know why some people have all the problems in DR example: getting ripped off by dominicans, customs, repair man, vendors, police, girlfriends, pay rent over 1000 dollars and have every horrible crime happening to them.
why is it we never complain of as much difficulties as some of the people on this board. we live in DR too.
The answer is simple, we live in 2 different countries in the same island.
AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
............and non of those things happened to you when you first arrived did they...........guffaw

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I first arrived in puerto plata when i first moved to this island. I soon realized, POP life was not for me. I hated bachata music and its listeners from the very beginning. I got disgusted by the fact, so many women in coastal area of north coast simply look for men for money. So many expats with hooker wives, girlfriends etc. just didn't get it. How is it a man goes out with a 500 pesos hooker and then marries her later? I hated the cuba-libre drinking culture of expats and the lack of any dominican culture in puerto plata area. I new after the first month, puerto plata was not for me. I still stayed there for 2 yrs, looking around, trying to make sense of my choice. I saw so many good people become part of this filthiness, and hollow dead-end lifestyle with the locals and expats (alike). Good girls dating street guys, calling them their fiance and good men falling for hookers, having babies with them etc. just didn't get it. I refused to be part of that. This is the difference, either you accept it, become part of the circus or you decide to part from it. I had decided to part from it. I knew I was not cut out for this and I didn't belong there. Now that i live in santiago, i feel much better and feel like I belong here. So it all depends, how a person feels and where they think they belong. This is why many people feel more comfortable living in santo donmingo & santiago, vs sosua and cabarete. I like sosua beach but I would never live there unless I am making a ton of money there.
AZB

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
LOL this was a funny read.

I think if shorts are not acceptable that's fine. But the diffeence is that you live there and I can understand why it bothers you.
But I can also understand a tourist, they are only there for a short time to enjoy the sunny, hot weather. So I don't think they are concerned that wearing shorts is not acceptable and probably have no clue that it is not acceptable in Santiago. Or they might just not care as some people are like that.

I personally like to dress up on vacation so I don't have a problem with that. But others like to dress casual especially on vacation. But to be honest until I read on this board about how shorts are not really worn and are more for the beach, I had no idea.

People will always categorize one gringo as being the same as all gringos. I would just worry about myself as we can't control what other people do or how they think. I would think Dominicans can tell a tourist gringo from an expat no? But I could be wrong.

Maybe you writing this thread can help spread the word that shorts and flip flops in Santiago are not the dress code. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
............and non of those things happened to you when you first arrived did they...........guffaw

Actually, NO!

I didn't have the luxury of living in a expat bubble when I arrived here, I had to learn how to live and adapt to Santo Domingo, live and work with Dominicans. Saying that, I guess I was lucky.

I wonder how many expat posters on this board actually socialize with Dominicans? Dominicans you can call friends. I'm not talking about the cleaning woman or your latest "cuero" or "amiga con derechos" but everyday working people. Those that have decent jobs, houses, cars etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.