Should US Citzens Protest the DR for How Haitians are Treated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Everyone should go where they are treated best.
I think I said that before...pretty simple and straight forward.
Everyone has an opportunity to vote with their feet and their currency everyday.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There appears to be an organisation called SARR based in Haiti ,that tends to support what the original poster said as far as deportations are concerned. I do not travel much to the capital now, but when I did,I often went by bus and I saw on two occasions Haitians taken off the bus and put in trucks and then driven off. To where I do not know but I doubt to their home to collect their toothbrush . I do not believe for one moment that any woman would be required to give birth outside any hospital regardless of colour . I do not like the treatment of the Haitians in the cane fields of the East nor on construction sites who are here on deals done, by the previous administrations as well as the current one, with rich employers. But what can one do ?? I do not think that boycotting the DR would help.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are also more and more cases reported of African-Americans on vacation in the DR being detained based on their skin color.
Really? Do you have links to these reports? Up here in Sosua where there are a lot of African American tourists, I have not heard of any cases pof them being detained. I think reports of more and more cases being reported are based on posts like yours.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The stories I have recently been reading on how the Dr government is treating Haitians is really sickening. I am hearing cases of children being deported without their parents knowledge, Haitian pregnant women being denied entry at hospitals and having to give birth outside. Also some cases of Haitians providing their proper legal paperwork to police and still being deported.

There are also more and more cases reported of African-Americans on vacation in the DR being detained based on their skin color.

The US State Department has posted a warning to US citizens that dark skin African Americans are being detained based on their skin color.

I think it's time that people of the world say we are not going to support a government that treats people this way and protest by VACATIONING ELSEWHERE!
Do you have any links to these stories you have been reading or of children being deported without their parents' knowledge?

Reactions: KyleMackey

larieau100

Aug 13, 2015
Do you have any links to these stories you have been reading or of children being deported without their parents' knowledge?
As you requested:

The wording of the US Embassy note is:
“Alert: Ongoing Dominican Migration Enforcement
“This message is to advise US citizens that in recent months travelers to the Dominican Republic have reported being delayed, detained, or subject to heightened questioning at ports of entry and in other encounters with immigration officials based on their skin color. Reports of disparate treatment of US citizens by Dominican authorities are a matter of ongoing concern to the US Embassy.

“In addition, in recent days, as reported in Dominican media, Dominican Migration (DGM) agents have conducted widespread operations aimed at detaining those they believe to be undocumented migrants, especially persons of Haitian descent. These actions may lead to increased interaction with Dominican authorities, especially for darker skinned US citizens and US citizens of African descent. In some cases, authorities have not respected these individuals’ legal status in the Dominican Republic or nationality. There are reports that detainees are kept in overcrowded detention centers, without the ability to challenge their detention, and without access to food or restroom facilities, sometimes for days at a time, before being released or deported to Haiti.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As you requested:

The wording of the US Embassy note is:
“Alert: Ongoing Dominican Migration Enforcement
“This message is to advise US citizens that in recent months travelers to the Dominican Republic have reported being delayed, detained, or subject to heightened questioning at ports of entry and in other encounters with immigration officials based on their skin color. Reports of disparate treatment of US citizens by Dominican authorities are a matter of ongoing concern to the US Embassy.

“In addition, in recent days, as reported in Dominican media, Dominican Migration (DGM) agents have conducted widespread operations aimed at detaining those they believe to be undocumented migrants, especially persons of Haitian descent. These actions may lead to increased interaction with Dominican authorities, especially for darker skinned US citizens and US citizens of African descent. In some cases, authorities have not respected these individuals’ legal status in the Dominican Republic or nationality. There are reports that detainees are kept in overcrowded detention centers, without the ability to challenge their detention, and without access to food or restroom facilities, sometimes for days at a time, before being released or deported to Haiti.

That is not a link and has NOTHING to do with your claim about children being deported and women giving birth in the street/outside. Stop the fear mongering.

larieau100

Aug 13, 2015
Maybe just stories, got any factual reports. You are the type of person that causes or makes problems where there aren't any. Mountains out of molehills. I was once put in a separate room by Dominican immigration in POP and my passport taken. After 45 minutes a official entered , gave me my passport back, and said have a good vacation. No explanation, nothing. I guess I was profiled, or somebody with the same name was a wanted criminal, who knows. I didn't take to the internet and start asking for boycotts.
Why do you think the US Embassy posted it's report?

I had started out really liking this new president, it seemed like he had a lot of good ideals and was making a lot of needed changes such as cleaning up Sosua Beach etc but with these actions he is currently taking against the Haitian people over here, it appears he's not to kind of a human being. Do you realize the misery and pain his actions are taking on the Haitian peoples. As a head of state protecting one's boarders is one thing but were dealing with humans trying to make a better life for themselves.

Reactions: Nadie21 and drstock

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Maybe just stories, got any factual reports. You are the type of person that causes or makes problems where there aren't any. Mountains out of molehills. I was once put in a separate room by Dominican immigration in POP and my passport taken. After 45 minutes a official entered , gave me my passport back, and said have a good vacation. No explanation, nothing. I guess I was profiled, or somebody with the same name was a wanted criminal, who knows. I didn't take to the internet and start asking for boycotts.
I agree with you bob . its most likely the usa tell the DR government to do this..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I had started out really liking this new president, it seemed like he had a lot of good ideals and was making a lot of needed changes such as cleaning up Sosua Beach etc but with these actions he is currently taking against the Haitian people over here, it appears he's not to kind of a human being. Do you realize the misery and pain his actions are taking on the Haitian peoples. As a head of state protecting one's boarders is one thing but were dealing with humans trying to make a better life for themselves.
Haitians have their own country and there are legal proccesses for entering a foreign country. The UN has called Haitians economic refugees, nothing else. Yes their country is a basketcase but the DR is a poor country without the capacity to support the amount of Haitians they already have in the country. Do you think you have the right to judge based on your incomplete understanding of both the situation facing the DR and the history which speaks for Dominican distrust of Haitians. The president of the DR first committment is to the people of the Dominican Republic, not Haitians.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Haitians have their own country and there are legal proccesses for entering a foreign country. The UN has called Haitians economic refugees, nothing else. Yes their country is a basketcase but the DR is a poor country without the capacity to support the amount of Haitians they already have in the country. Do you think you have the right to judge based on your incomplete understanding of both the situation facing the DR and the history which speaks for Dominican distrust of Haitians. The president of the DR first committment is to the people of the Dominican Republic, not Haitians.
preach on Bob 100percent

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

A country has to be able to control its own borders. The intent of those breaking the law is not important to Luis nor should it be. Having said that, he probably should assure the rest of the world he's being humane about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.