I-751 Green Card Interview

RBTH

Oct 15, 2020
Puerto Rico
We finally got the interview date, and we're honestly a little scared. I would've thought that the CR-1 interview at the US embassy 4 years ago would be more nerve-wrecking, but it's not.

Can anyone share any experience regarding these interviews? Is it something we should be worried about?

Here's what we'll be taking to our interview:

* Everything we took to the initial interview at the US embassy in Santo Domingo.
* State and Federal income tax returns for the last 3 years. She currently doesn't work, so I currently pay taxes for both of us.
* Joint bank account with about $3,500.
* Document showing that the credit card she uses is in my name.
* I pay for her health insurance, so the health insurance invoices that she receives at the apartment we share.
* She has a personal bank account, and she receives the statements at the apartment we share. We'll be taking those statements to the interview.
* A picture of the covid stimulus check we received, that's in both our names. It was deposited at our joint bank account.
* She has a subscription, so screenshots of the boxes she receives to prove that she receives mail at the apartment we share.
* Pictures of us together at the different places we visit.

My only concern, and I don't know if it's something that I should be worried about, is where we live. Here's the story: I'm paying the mortgage for a house I bought for my parents. My parents have excellent credit, so they filled the paperwork but I'm paying for it. My parents moved to the house, and we moved to the apartment. For now, both the apartment and the house are in my parents' names. Is that something that should worry me?

She's obviously nervous, but I keep telling her that she shouldn't be. At the US embassy in santo domingo 4 years ago we only had our own evidence to convince them that we were a couple, and we passed it with flying colors (ie. they didn't ask us a single question). At this interview there's a paper trail of everything I've paid, so I think it should be easier. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Jan 9, 2004
We finally got the interview date, and we're honestly a little scared. I would've thought that the CR-1 interview at the US embassy 4 years ago would be more nerve-wrecking, but it's not.

Can anyone share any experience regarding these interviews? Is it something we should be worried about?

Here's what we'll be taking to our interview:

* Everything we took to the initial interview at the US embassy in Santo Domingo.
* State and Federal income tax returns for the last 3 years. She currently doesn't work, so I currently pay taxes for both of us.
* Joint bank account with about $3,500.
* Document showing that the credit card she uses is in my name.
* I pay for her health insurance, so the health insurance invoices that she receives at the apartment we share.
* She has a personal bank account, and she receives the statements at the apartment we share. We'll be taking those statements to the interview.
* A picture of the covid stimulus check we received, that's in both our names. It was deposited at our joint bank account.
* She has a subscription, so screenshots of the boxes she receives to prove that she receives mail at the apartment we share.
* Pictures of us together at the different places we visit.

My only concern, and I don't know if it's something that I should be worried about, is where we live. Here's the story: I'm paying the mortgage for a house I bought for my parents. My parents have excellent credit, so they filled the paperwork but I'm paying for it. My parents moved to the house, and we moved to the apartment. For now, both the apartment and the house are in my parents' names. Is that something that should worry me?

She's obviously nervous, but I keep telling her that she shouldn't be. At the US embassy in santo domingo 4 years ago we only had our own evidence to convince them that we were a couple, and we passed it with flying colors (ie. they didn't ask us a single question). At this interview there's a paper trail of everything I've paid, so I think it should be easier. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
Many times the I-751 interview is waived...........but it depends on a number of factors including the origin country of your spouse and the strength of documentation you have provided.

In order to grant a waiver, USCIS must decide, upon review of the case file, that it has received enough evidence with which to approve the immigrant’s joint petition to remove the conditions on residence (form I-751) without conducting an interview and meeting the couple personally. This documentary evidence must clearly show that the marriage is bona fide, and not a sham or fraud to receive a green card.

As the DR has long been known for marriages of convenience between friends/family as well as a business opportunity whereby the US citizen is paid to marry, and then when the non-conditional green card (Permanent Residency) has been granted.............the couple files for divorce............interviews are much more common.

This is the purpose of this particular interview...........to determine with supporting documentation that the marriage is bonafide. It is not necessarily about sufficient assets..............you already had to establish that threshold at your initial interview in Santo Domingo............and you were also required to submit an Affidavit of Support.

Strong evidence that you are together/reside together is key here. In addition to the items you mentioned, is she listed as an operator on your car insurance policy.............if so..........bring that as well.

Have you traveled together? If so, copies of boarding passes/itineraries are also helpful.

Is she working? How does she get there? Does she have a current drivers license showing your current residence on it?

If you are being interviewed at all should tell you they are not totally convinced. That should not necessarily make you nervous, but it should make you more prepared.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

RBTH

Oct 15, 2020
Puerto Rico
Many times the I-751 interview is waived...........but it depends on a number of factors including the origin country of your spouse and the strength of documentation you have provided.
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean when you say that an interview is waived based on the documentation we've provided?

How can an interview be waived based on documentation that we will provide on the day of the interview?

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean when you say that an interview is waived based on the documentation we've provided?

How can an interview be waived based on documentation that we will provide on the day of the interview?
It is often times waived on the review of prior documentation provided...........not the documentation you intend to submit at the interview;

Hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2