Sight unseen!

siren

New member
Nov 23, 2004
20
0
0
Hello! Let me indroduce myself and my husband. My name is Stephanie and I am an American married to a very cool canadian named Dwight! We have been researching real estate oppurtunities for so many years now always returning to the DR. We found a villa on the Samana coast with a beautiful ocean view for a steal. We are dealing with Wayne Campbell who owns Samana real estate and who has been a great friend to us in our new adventure. We bought the property "sight unseen" only because of our good deal and our travels aboard our 52 foot sail boat. When we came to visit and sign papers, we kept a very open mind. I took the good with the bad but I felt a little out of place because my Spanish sucks and I am a pretty, light skinned woman with freckles and a college education. Maybe it's just me, but I tried to make friends with the local Dominican women (wives of our gringo friends) but I still felt out of place. I think Dominican women are very pretty! They even convinced me that they eat cats!( yes, wine was involved...) I was trying too hard I guess!! ha,ha.
I found the DR to be very beautiful and lush! I have a huge challenge ahead of me but I can't wait! I hope to be able to use my pre-vet medicine degree and work with horses. My husband is a salvage diver and is looking forward to new oppurtunities as well. I met a woman named Kim who does the whale watching tours in the bahia Samana. She has been very helpful with information in regard to shipping my two horses to the DR and helping me find a place to keep them healthy. I am looking forward to becoming a part of this community and want to jump in with two feet and an open mind. I have so much to learn about the "ins". Thanks for taking the time to read this. Also, I did find out that the locals will take you to better dive sites for the same pesos then the resorts!
 

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
1,040
6
0
Welcome to DR1! Good luck and be careful in your dealings with most Dominicans. They are a sneaky bunch. The other people on this website will try to warn you. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the ride.....
 

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,565
212
63
Siren, I'm glad you met Kim Beddall. She can be a big help to you, and is also interested in many of the same things you are.
 

gringosabroso

New member
Oct 16, 2004
494
8
0
68
Extreme Caution Advised ! ! !

Dominican culture is radically different from Canadian or American Culture, which are generally similar, with huge areas of overlap. I'm an American who has been living here for 8 years: No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
When I relate this sphorism to long time North American residents of the DR, the inevitable response is that my %s are too low. Among DRs, No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
Yet, there are many positive aspectcs of Dominican culture. Family being, in my opinion, by far the strongest. I continue to live here. Why? The positive outweighs the negative. But, for the 2 of you - get ready for some substantial culture shock. Samana is beautiful! Much nicer than P E I! Good luck.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
13,565
212
63
gringosabroso said:
Dominican culture is radically different from Canadian or American Culture, which are generally similar, with huge areas of overlap. I'm an American who has been living here for 8 years: No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
When I relate this sphorism to long time North American residents of the DR, the inevitable response is that my %s are too low. Among DRs, No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
Siren, if you start your life here with the expectation that 90% of the Dominicans you come in contact with are liers and thieves, you aren't going to be very happy. I've lived here for about 19 years, more than half of that in Samana, and I would never tell a new arrival anything of that sort.

If I were to give them a warning, I would be more inclined to tell them to be cautious in my dealings with sellers of services, whether Dominican or foreign, especially lawyers and real estate agents. A lot of foreigners are attracted to the DR by the belief there is easy money to be made and engage in conduct that would not be tolerated in their own country.

If you need a lawyer, the only one that I would recomend in Samana is the office of Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions in the legal section of this board.

I hope you are happy in Samana. We now live in Sosua and my wife is happier here. Better supermarket, better doctors, and--most important--a lot more women she can interact with.

Like you, we started life on a cruising sailboat. It was our home for 16 years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
1,300
2
0
61
siren said:
Hello! Let me indroduce myself and my husband. My name is Stephanie and I am an American married to a very cool canadian named Dwight! We have been researching real estate oppurtunities for so many years now always returning to the DR. We found a villa on the Samana coast with a beautiful ocean view for a steal. We are dealing with Wayne Campbell who owns Samana real estate and who has been a great friend to us in our new adventure. We bought the property "sight unseen" only because of our good deal and our travels aboard our 52 foot sail boat. When we came to visit and sign papers, we kept a very open mind. I took the good with the bad but I felt a little out of place because my Spanish sucks and I am a pretty, light skinned woman with freckles and a college education. Maybe it's just me, but I tried to make friends with the local Dominican women (wives of our gringo friends) but I still felt out of place. I think Dominican women are very pretty! They even convinced me that they eat cats!( yes, wine was involved...) I was trying too hard I guess!! ha,ha.
I found the DR to be very beautiful and lush! I have a huge challenge ahead of me but I can't wait! I hope to be able to use my pre-vet medicine degree and work with horses. My husband is a salvage diver and is looking forward to new oppurtunities as well. I met a woman named Kim who does the whale watching tours in the bahia Samana. She has been very helpful with information in regard to shipping my two horses to the DR and helping me find a place to keep them healthy. I am looking forward to becoming a part of this community and want to jump in with two feet and an open mind. I have so much to learn about the "ins". Thanks for taking the time to read this. Also, I did find out that the locals will take you to better dive sites for the same pesos then the resorts!

Study up on your Spanish and learn the do's and don'ts of Dominican culture. You will do just fine!
 

Adam Spenser

New member
Nov 29, 2002
81
2
0
Samana Puchaser

I hope you got the original title to the property. I hope the seller paid all prior taxes and the sales tax. I hope you do not find hidden problems in your villa or the sales contract. No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
Adam Spenser said:
I hope you got the original title to the property. I hope the seller paid all prior taxes and the sales tax. I hope you do not find hidden problems in your villa or the sales contract. No Bashing, Edited by,Tim H.
Why?

Well, when I tried to post this, I got this... The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

So, I'll do that....

Why? What has your experience been?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Naufrago

New member
Sep 1, 2004
392
0
0
Hola Siren, Welcome to the DR! I've only been here since September, and It's an adjustment for me too. My Dominican wife is thrilled to be back with family and friends, but I have yet to connect with any friends of my own yet. The language is a big obstacle but I find I'm understanding more each day, and having met some DR1ers who speak really well, I feel inspired that in a year or two more I'll be fine. Coming from NYC, I was raised not to trust strangers no matter where they're from. 90% crooks and theives is definetly too high a figure for the general population, but probably 100% of the people who will be seeking you out are after something for sure. You should be the one initiating contacts especially when your buying goods and services, and only after you know how much the thing should cost. You need a Lawyer you can trust, ask your friends for someone local, older, connected, my experiences here with lawyers is that the older ones have the connections and an old world sense of ethics. Try to keep a low profile, don't try too hard, give it time. And keep posting your questions, DR1 is a nice community, and we speak English.
 

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
726
0
0
If the Thread looks, chopped, it is.
I cleaned the thread up, and left the rest.
Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke:
 

siren

New member
Nov 23, 2004
20
0
0
Thanks

Thanks for the great advice and support. Yes, we have the title to our proerty and all the taxes are paid. We are trying to get the piece that is next door but we are having problems with a squatter and our lawyer isn't pushing very hard. The squatter just keeps asking for more money. We have our limit as to what a "pay-off" will be but it looks like it wont be that easy now. I will do a search and see what I can find on this topic. We will probley end up contacting Fabio Guzan sometime. We wanted to adopt once we get settled and we hear Fabio Guzman is the one who I need to help us. One thing at a time though! I was raised in Dallas Texas and already have some sense of not being too trusting of people. I want to find that good balance of respecting them and they respecting me. Knowing when to be firm and when to be nice. I really try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but I guess I will just have to get my rear end moved to the DR for good and find out myself! Thanks for all your help.
 

Hillbilly

Moderator
Jan 1, 2002
18,946
501
113
Sounds like you are going to have fun

Just a few ideas that you might use:
1) Ticks are really a major problem in the DR.
2) See if you can find Ellen Burr-she owns the Olas Internet Caf? there on the waterfront.
3) Do be cautious
4) Do not expect to adopt anytime soon. Thee is a humongeous waiting list all over the country. As you settle in and get more of a feel foe the place, you may or may not want to help some family with a dozen kids and take in one of their younger ones, not an adoption, but as an "hijo de crianza" sort of like a foster kid.

HB :D:D
 

Adam Spenser

New member
Nov 29, 2002
81
2
0
"Edited by Tim H."

Who is Tim H? What right does he have to censor so many responses to the purchaser of Samana property? She sent an inquiry in good faith and many people including myself responded. To cut up our responses makes this site worthless. I do not know what others were censored for, Edited by Tim H. I am the Moderator of the Living Forum, the rest of my reply, will be e-mailed to you, off-line. :smoke:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
1,462
6
0
I believe Robert is the owner of DR1

You should be able to address your question to him. If I am incorrect about Robert being the owner, I would like to be corrected. Thanks.
 

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
1,314
56
0
Dr1 Has there own Police

A few words of wisdom from me, Robert.

If you have nothing to add to the thread, don't bother.

If you have something to post regarding a lawyer, moderator or a business, make sure you post the facts as well. We are not into gossip or what some guy at the end of the bar is spouting. Better still, contact that business or person directly.

Is that clear enough, or do I need to type this in B I G letters?

Moving on....
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Naufrago

New member
Sep 1, 2004
392
0
0
Hillbilly said:
As you settle in and get more of a feel for the place, you may or may not want to help some family with a dozen kids and take in one of their younger ones, not an adoption, but as an "hijo de crianza" sort of like a foster kid.

HB :D:D
Just don't chase the little ones away when they come knocking on your door, feed them, start giving them things, before you know it the whole family will be moving in. The arrangement Hillbilly describes is very common here, and you get free maid service in the bargain.
 

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
20,575
326
83
dr1.com
Snuffy said:
You should be able to address your question to him. If I am incorrect about Robert being the owner, I would like to be corrected. Thanks.
50/50 Dolores and myself.
 

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
176
42
0
55
Freedom of Speech?

Do Not Hi-Jack the Thread.
Thanks
Tim H.
 
Last edited by a moderator: