Silly question #3 Empanadas in Sosua - where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I go to a Colombian bakery every week to buy empanadas and other delicious Colombian food. Tomorrow is my day to go this week. The masa (the outer shell) is made with cornmeal. I have had them in Colombia and in Toronto. Buenísima.
Here is a link to a recipe for the masa for baked Colombian empanadas. The masa is made with wheat flour, unlike the fried empanadas. Delicious!!!

Reactions: Africaida

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of rain again today so not a good day to go hunting for empanadas, although I wish I had a few to eat on this dreary afternoon.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here is a link to a recipe for the masa for baked Colombian empanadas. The masa is made with wheat flour, unlike the fried empanadas. Delicious!!!

Gracias.

Have you tried making empanadas with this recipe?

I am actually getting ready to eat some right now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I found Seamonkey's hole in the wall colmado and he was right,. the empanadas are large and tasty. They could do with a bit more filling but for 35 pesos I assume the margins are already quite tight. These are deep fried. possibly right in the store itself. They have 5 flavors. Chicken, cheese, ham & cheese, Beef and Egg. I tried them all except for the egg. Best but only place I have to choose from so far. I have another lead on a place in Encuentro that I will check out someday when it isn't raining on me. If anyone has another suggestion for buying good empanadas in and around Sosua, please post it. My preferences are detailed in post #1

Reactions: Seamonkey

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I found Seamonkey's hole in the wall colmado and he was right,. the empanadas are large and tasty. They could do with a bit more filling but for 35 pesos I assume the margins are already quite tight. These are deep fried. possibly right in the store itself. They have 5 flavors. Chicken, cheese, ham & cheese, Beef and Egg. I tried them all except for the egg. Best but only place I have to choose from so far. I have another lead on a place in Encuentro that I will check out someday when it isn't raining on me. If anyone has another suggestion for buying good empanadas in and around Sosua, please post it. My preferences are detailed in post #1
and where is it ....exactly

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Start at the Plan B bar on Pedro Clisante. Look across street and then to the left. You'll see a building that has a closed bar, a hair/nail salon and the right most door of this building is a narrow colmado. The Empanadas are in a heated display case at the front of the colmado.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Start at the Plan B bar on Pedro Clisante. Look across street and then to the left. You'll see a building that has a closed bar, a hair/nail salon and the right most door of this building is a narrow colmado. The Empanadas are in a heated display case at the front of the colmado.
There was another place a few blocks further (away from the beach same side of plan B) a mini mart they had Empanadas just beside outside. This was last year. They made mine to order then. (Deep fried,I think it would be rare to find Bake)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
On a related subject: When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade:

Those culinary delights were a great opportunity to get ahead and become a young businesswoman.

The picaderas are the first offering that should be present at the table when meeting with family, friends and even in work environments. Simple but delicious dishes that are prepared in a practical and fast way.

For Perla Lafontaine, these culinary delights were the opportunity to get ahead and become a young entrepreneur with her TastyDelis project, which emerged in response to the economic crisis faced by thousands of Dominicans, as a result of COVID-19.

The entrepreneur with a smile defines herself as a restless woman, who always bases her actions on respect and honesty.

"After months of being suspended from my job, I was fired and motivated by that part of me that cannot be still, I began to look for an alternative ... And I thought: Why not take advantage of what I really love and that according to my family and friends I do very well, cook ”, says Lafontaine proudly to elCaribe

Born in Santo Domingo but living in the land of the Virgin Mary, Higüey, the clinical psychologist confesses that despite the fact that she did not have a fixed residence due to the job offers her parents received, her childhood was very happy and she was able to enjoy each one of its stages without waste.

Lafontaine comments with a smiling look and a tone of happiness that she comes from a small but very close family that always supports each of her projects and encourages her every day to be a better person. With a shy personality, that's how Perla defines herself, a behavior that she attributes to her nomadic life, but assures that this did not affect her personal development and today thanks her parents for that childhood she enjoyed so much.

“I come from a small nuclear family, my dad, my mom and my brothers. Although I was born in Santo Domingo because of my parents' work issues, we kept living for small periods in Higüey as in my hometown, ”he said.

Inspired by her father's love for cooking, the entrepreneur began in her social circle to push her business idea, giving each of her friends and acquaintances her creations.

"I grew up watching my dad, who cooked all the time, decorated the food, and I liked that, I liked it so much that I came to have plans to study gastronomy, although with time other interests arose, the love for cooking remained intact" , he highlighted.

According to the young entrepreneur, her family has been the fundamental pillar in her life. TastyDelis, is a name made up of two words derived from the English language, Tasty, which means to taste and Delis, which refers to the adjective delicious.
These words are, according to Lafontaine, perfect to describe their products. He said that for the people who try them they are "small bites that leave you with a delicious sensation on your palate and with a desire for more."

Croquettes, empanadas, quipes were the first preparations that opened the doors to this small businesswoman, however, the TastyDelis menu was expanding as its guests grew.

Nowadays, catibias (empanadas with yucca dough), lasagna, mini sandwiches, rice arepas and baskets stuffed with pizza sauce were added to its food menu. Dishes that are accompanied by a green sauce based on spices and fresh vegetables.

Perla Lafontaine can be reached through social media at @ tasty.delis or by calling 829-370-4778.

Its products are made at home and distributed to different parts of Higüey, but thanks to the promotion for the unique flavor that its sandwiches have, it receives from customers in Punta Cana and La Romana.

Although it began offering its elaborations to people individually, today its services are directed exclusively for events. "TastyDelis as a dream has a long time but as a project it has only a few months, but these are enough time to be what it is today, a successful business," said Lafontaine.

The success of her business is attributed to the passion, love, combined with the effort and discipline that she put into his business idea, this is why she urges all people who want to start a business to fight for what they want without fainting in the attempt.

She indicated, smiling, that the beginnings are always difficult but that with the help of God and the support of those close to him the way can be found.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
On a related subject: When the world gives you lemons, make lemonade:

Those culinary delights were a great opportunity to get ahead and become a young businesswoman.

The picaderas are the first offering that should be present at the table when meeting with family, friends and even in work environments. Simple but delicious dishes that are prepared in a practical and fast way.

For Perla Lafontaine, these culinary delights were the opportunity to get ahead and become a young entrepreneur with her TastyDelis project, which emerged in response to the economic crisis faced by thousands of Dominicans, as a result of COVID-19.

The entrepreneur with a smile defines herself as a restless woman, who always bases her actions on respect and honesty.

"After months of being suspended from my job, I was fired and motivated by that part of me that cannot be still, I began to look for an alternative ... And I thought: Why not take advantage of what I really love and that according to my family and friends I do very well, cook ”, says Lafontaine proudly to elCaribe

Born in Santo Domingo but living in the land of the Virgin Mary, Higüey, the clinical psychologist confesses that despite the fact that she did not have a fixed residence due to the job offers her parents received, her childhood was very happy and she was able to enjoy each one of its stages without waste.

Lafontaine comments with a smiling look and a tone of happiness that she comes from a small but very close family that always supports each of her projects and encourages her every day to be a better person. With a shy personality, that's how Perla defines herself, a behavior that she attributes to her nomadic life, but assures that this did not affect her personal development and today thanks her parents for that childhood she enjoyed so much.

“I come from a small nuclear family, my dad, my mom and my brothers. Although I was born in Santo Domingo because of my parents' work issues, we kept living for small periods in Higüey as in my hometown, ”he said.

Inspired by her father's love for cooking, the entrepreneur began in her social circle to push her business idea, giving each of her friends and acquaintances her creations.

"I grew up watching my dad, who cooked all the time, decorated the food, and I liked that, I liked it so much that I came to have plans to study gastronomy, although with time other interests arose, the love for cooking remained intact" , he highlighted.

According to the young entrepreneur, her family has been the fundamental pillar in her life. TastyDelis, is a name made up of two words derived from the English language, Tasty, which means to taste and Delis, which refers to the adjective delicious.
These words are, according to Lafontaine, perfect to describe their products. He said that for the people who try them they are "small bites that leave you with a delicious sensation on your palate and with a desire for more."

Croquettes, empanadas, quipes were the first preparations that opened the doors to this small businesswoman, however, the TastyDelis menu was expanding as its guests grew.

Nowadays, catibias (empanadas with yucca dough), lasagna, mini sandwiches, rice arepas and baskets stuffed with pizza sauce were added to its food menu. Dishes that are accompanied by a green sauce based on spices and fresh vegetables.

Perla Lafontaine can be reached through social media at @ tasty.delis or by calling 829-370-4778.

Its products are made at home and distributed to different parts of Higüey, but thanks to the promotion for the unique flavor that its sandwiches have, it receives from customers in Punta Cana and La Romana.

Although it began offering its elaborations to people individually, today its services are directed exclusively for events. "TastyDelis as a dream has a long time but as a project it has only a few months, but these are enough time to be what it is today, a successful business," said Lafontaine.

The success of her business is attributed to the passion, love, combined with the effort and discipline that she put into his business idea, this is why she urges all people who want to start a business to fight for what they want without fainting in the attempt.

She indicated, smiling, that the beginnings are always difficult but that with the help of God and the support of those close to him the way can be found.

I buy my employees lunch every three weeks or so. One of their favorites is a business offering the same type of items (Empanadas, pastilillos, rejeno de papa, etc)

That business also started by a woman fired from her free zone job. She used her liquidation money to start the business.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I went back to Seamonkey's empanada place yesterday afternoon and there was very little selection left. This says a lot about the rate of product turnover at this place. The proprietor was able to fry me up some ham and cheese while I waited, not my first choice, but otherwise it would have been a wasted trip. The beef and chicken are supposed to be available today but i do not feel like going back. I did get the stores whatsapp # so now if they answer a msg I can check to see what they have before I go there.
I still find these empanadas a little light on the filling so they are mostly dough.
I have found another place. A bakery in Encuentro that started out as a place for just fresh bread bread but has since expanded into a place for bread including sour dough, and other specialty products like empanadas, cakes, patisseries, cookies, cinnamon buns, turnovers, banana bread, apple crumble etc. They offer free delivery on Wednesdays to Sosua and on a different day to Cabarete. So I placed an order today. I went to the shop last Saturday for something to do and it is another one of those popular niche places that runs out of fresh products if you don't go early enough in the day. Their empanadas are backed and not fried. So I'll let you know how these empanadas and the other products I ordered turn out. I ordered some Ham and cheese Quiche for dinner tomorrow night with some apple crumble for desert. I would have thought that fresh empanadas would be available in more places than they appear to be. I think Playero might sell them in that little corner cafe next to the phone places but when I did try them a long time ago, they were not very tasty which is probably why they had lots of them at the time.

The search continues...

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
Here's three empanadas. As you can see not a lot of filing, but they taste good and are only 35 pesos. They are made there as needed. I had the beef, ham and cheese, and chicken. The chicken was my favorite.
8xjmZKr.jpg

Reactions: cavok and westcan

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Update. There is a new empanada queen in town,D'Rosy Empanadas,all they do is empanadas. They have 15 varieties and have more filling than any of the other places/people that sell them in Sosua albeit they are more expensive,they will fry them fresh for you too. They are located on Alejo Martinez down past Plaza Colonial otherwise known as the Orange Plaza near the barber shop.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
This sounds interesting. Although I know it's not in Sosúa, but I can REALLY recommend Amparo's Deli in Puerto Plata (like 100m further down the road from the Passport office). They make everything fresh everyday Tuesday-Sunday. I've gone there since I came here 10 years ago, and they are the best I've tasted here. Of course, they are not the "regular" 30-35 pesos empanadas, but rather 60 and above. But they are soooo worth it. At most I can eat 4 or 5, and then I'm FULL (and I'm a heavy 300-pound dude).
Just a recommendation, take it or leave it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've got a guy in front of our free zone who produces what he calls the "Jaroa" empanada. And it is exactly what the names implies.

It's so big, he has to make it square.

Quite the monster, really good, and shortens your life substantially every time you eat one.

And of course, ridiculously good!

• Haha
Reactions: bob saunders

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
They are located on Alejo Martinez down past Plaza Colonial otherwise known as the Orange Plaza near the barber shop.
Just for clarification... A shop on Alejo Martinez between the entrance of the old Orange/Altice plaza next to Banco Popular before the turn to the beach and Pedro Clissante but not in Colonial Plaza itself? Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.