SIM card questions

korejdk_again

Mar 26, 2019
Greetings,
I've been to Sosua countless times since 2005 to pre-covid but never stayed more than 2 weeks ; now it seems that I'll relocate to be based over there for at least few months, so I will ask a few SIM related questions, and I thank you in advance:
- Is it easy to buy and load a SIM, are there any requirements beside cash ? If yes, what would that be?
- What carrier would you recommend as having the most reliable service ?
- For an average of 5 local calls a day and 2-3 hours of data what would be the approximate amount of pesos that I need to load on the SIM for a month of usage.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Greetings,
I've been to Sosua countless times since 2005 to pre-covid but never stayed more than 2 weeks ; now it seems that I'll relocate to be based over there for at least few months, so I will ask a few SIM related questions, and I thank you in advance:
- Is it easy to buy and load a SIM, are there any requirements beside cash ?
Yes and Yes
If yes, what would that be?
Passport or cedula
- What carrier would you recommend as having the most reliable service ?
I have used both Altice and Claro.
I have not seen a difference in mobile service.
I have found Altice to be less expesive.
- For an average of 5 local calls a day and 2-3 hours of data what would be the approximate amount of pesos that I need to load on the SIM for a month of usage.
I got nothing for you my man.
As I load up on an as needed basis.
Very easy to recharge and almost every where.

Note, that I am speaking about my experiences on EAST SIDE ‼️
South Coast for reference purposes.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Service seems to vary depending on location. In Cabarete, Altice works best for me. Easy to put in a SIM card and recharge it. Passport or cedula needed. Calls run about 6 pesos/minute. An unlimited internet "pacquetico" cost about 149 pesos for 5 days.

Reactions: Gadfly

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I use claro, NO PLAN, just buy minutes (recarga) every few days, 140 pesos buys unlimited data for 5 days; calls are minute burners so most use WhatsApp which makes calls/text msgs using the unlimited data only (no-brainer)
i can use WhatsApp or burn minutes to call or text USA also. (I didn’t need to set up or request Int’l service). Try to buy unlocked cell

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I pay $1500 a month (post pay) which is $26 US with Claro.
Unlimited calls and text and 6GB of data. I never run out of data even often hot spotting my phone.
Ask yourself this would you run to the cell store or supermarket ever 3 days for more minutes in your home country ?
I have a good friend who has to stop and go into Playero every couple of days to add 200 pesos to her minutes.
OK you might save $10 a month over my plan but for what inconvenience?
It amazes me some people revert to their falafel hippy days, dressing in tye-dye, jumping on unsafe, uninsured motos, balding men sporting long ponytails and scrimping on lifestyle convience. Was that your goal in coming to DR? Why even have a cell phone, just go full native and use the coconut telegraph.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Forgot to mention I pay 1600 DOP/Month for a hot spot with Altice.
15 GB
That is how I handle my mobile data needs.
I do not use a (post pay) plan because I do not like the terms offered by Altice or Claro.
And I do not make many phone calls.
I use it as a back up and use Whatapp as my primary means of communication.
Not about to tell another person what to do with their time or money.
Live and let live ‼️

Reactions: jinty05

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Being a heavy data user myself due to work, "2-3 hours of data" really say nothing. Please don't take is as offensive, rather trying see what is the exact case here. If it's 2-3 hours of text-based things, that's one thing, if streaming media is involved, it might be another thing...

We use Claro extensively (landline/ADSL + mobile hotspot with contract + cellphone with internet with contract + prepaid cellphone) so my advice is to check their website what prepaid option would work you best. Please note that any paquetico offering the largest amount data or time is not necessarily the cheapest/time unit or per data unit...

Reactions: Carl.L

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Facebook which now owns whatsapp is changing its privacy policy for Whatsapp. The policy was fairly objectionable before but is about to become even worse. Those who use whatsapp frequently might wish to consider Signal to use with their frequent contacts and leave whatsapp only for those local contacts who can't or won't switch to a platform the is more secure and less invasive. Signal is free of charge does everything whatsapp can do without sharing your usage details around a large social media platform and with advertisers.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
As the new law #567 112 rolls out into full effect, your phone and SIM card will have to be injected with your DNA, if one does not comply, the super-dooper laser killer drones--- that are not needed at the haitian border anymore due to the mega-advanced electronic subliminal impenetrable Wall---will reduce your phone, your household and your barrio to rubble.....🤔🤔🤔🤔👿.

Only kidding.

SIM cards are available everywhere, and it being 2021 and all, even if you go the pre-paid route, you can top up with a credit card.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
SIM cards are available everywhere, and it being 2021 and all, even if you go the pre-paid route, you can top up with a credit card.
Right brother ‼️
There is a online site that allows your to recharge with a service fee depending upon how much you plan to re-up with.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I use claro, NO PLAN, just buy minutes (recarga) every few days, 140 pesos buys unlimited data for 5 days; calls are minute burners so most use WhatsApp which makes calls/text msgs using the unlimited data only (no-brainer)
i can use WhatsApp or burn minutes to call or text USA also. (I didn’t need to set up or request Int’l service). Try to buy unlocked cell
I know people that use whatsapp for almost everything here,, most stores also.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When I was finally gifted with a smartphone (my first cell phone in almost 20 years) I got a plan with Altice. It was cheaper for my wife and I to have plans than the VONAGE plan I had which became useless in the past year for DR calls. Both our plans together are cheaper than Vonage was.

I can't be bothered with recharging and don't use credit cards for DR purchases unless there is an emergency.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I pay $1500 a month (post pay) which is $26 US with Claro.
Unlimited calls and text and 6GB of data. I never run out of data even often hot spotting my phone.
Ask yourself this would you run to the cell store or supermarket ever 3 days for more minutes in your home country ?
I have a good friend who has to stop and go into Playero every couple of days to add 200 pesos to her minutes.
OK you might save $10 a month over my plan but for what inconvenience?
It amazes me some people revert to their falafel hippy days, dressing in tye-dye, jumping on unsafe, uninsured motos, balding men sporting long ponytails and scrimping on lifestyle convience. Was that your goal in coming to DR? Why even have a cell phone, just go full native and use the coconut telegraph.

1. Do you use your phone that often? If so, the plan probably works great for you, and would do the same for those that rely on it for business purposes. For the rest of the world, it is just needlessly throwing money away to telecommunications behemoths.

2. As far as the "inconvenience" of having to go to a cell store or supermarket, these options are available for the exact opposite reason....."convenience". Cell store branches are cell store branches of course, but the option to recharge in a supermarket check out line was provided for convenience to a person who may be food shopping and decide to add credit to their phones upon their checkout.
As well, many colmados and farmacias, along with 98% of lottery booths (practically one on every street corner) offer "recarga" services. It does not get any more simpler, nor convenient than this.
Perhaps you and your friend are not aware of the conveniences that exist right in front of you.

Reactions: Gadfly

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would find it very inconvenient to have to purchase recharges for a cell phone. So my wife and I have plans that cost less in total than what I was using before that no longer works in the DR.

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
1. Do you use your phone that often? If so, the plan probably works great for you, and would do the same for those that rely on it for business purposes. For the rest of the world, it is just needlessly throwing money away to telecommunications behemoths.

2. As far as the "inconvenience" of having to go to a cell store or supermarket, these options are available for the exact opposite reason....."convenience". Cell store branches are cell store branches of course, but the option to recharge in a supermarket check out line was provided for convenience to a person who may be food shopping and decide to add credit to their phones upon their checkout.
As well, many colmados and farmacias, along with 98% of lottery booths (practically one on every street corner) offer "recarga" services. It does not get any more simpler, nor convenient than this.
Perhaps you and your friend are not aware of the conveniences that exist right in front of you.
How convenient was that Supermarket when there were long COVID lines in the sun.
Yes I use my cell phone a lot.
I monitor and occasionally buy or sell some investments while on the go or get alerts for things like credit car purchases or bank ATM withdrawals or deposits and transfers.
I hot spot the phone while in the car so everyone can connect to the internet.
If you are not a tech user then a few minutes a month may be all you need.
But in this day of tech (and I am not saying it is good) you need to monitor some things to protect yourself

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I spend about 250 pesos/mo for cellphone service. Don't have much need to make regular calls as most of my friends and even some business contacts are all on WhatsApp. Not much need for internet when I'm out and about either since many places I go have internet. If I do need internet when I'm out, I can put a "paquetico" of one day unlimited data for 49 pesos directly on my phone using the minutes I have. With Recharge.com you can recharge your phone online for a dollar service charge.

Reactions: jinty05

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It all comes do
How convenient was that Supermarket when there were long COVID lines in the sun.
Yes I use my cell phone a lot.
I monitor and occasionally buy or sell some investments while on the go or get alerts for things like credit car purchases or bank ATM withdrawals or deposits and transfers.
I hot spot the phone while in the car so everyone can connect to the internet.
If you are not a tech user then a few minutes a month may be all you need.
But in this day of tech (and I am not saying it is good) you need to monitor some things to protect yourself

Correct, unless your friend was more interested in seeing the deli counter man or butcher.
Again, there are applications that can accomplish this goal of recharging a balance, as well as the farmacias and corner lottery kiosks.
Why do some of you make life so difficult for yourselves?
It's actually entertaining for it's comedic value alone.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It all comes do

Correct, unless your friend was more interested in seeing the deli counter man or butcher.
Again, there are applications that can accomplish this goal of recharging a balance, as well as the farmacias and corner lottery kiosks.
Why do some of you make life so difficult for yourselves?
It's actually entertaining for it's comedic value alone.
Having a post pay plan is the most convenient. I never run out of minutes nor internet.
Never need to recharge, nor go to a kiosk, farmacia or lotto shack.
That's the whole point !

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Having a post pay plan is the most convenient. I never run out of minutes nor internet.
Never need to recharge, nor go to a kiosk, farmacia or lotto shack.
That's the whole point !
What internet speed do you get on your cel phone CB?

I was getting really good download speeds (40-50mbps) until a few months ago. Got a call from Claro telling me I could change my plan and get more speed. I told the person on the phone I didn't need more than I already had and declined the offer to get a new plan.
A couple of days later they throttled me back to 10 mbps. Jerks.

Last edited: