Siuben shares its database with Indotel

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Nelson-Arroyo-y-Jefrey-Rafael-Lizardo-N-Digital-e1605489150756.png
Nelson Arroyo and Jefrey Rafael Lizardo / N Digital

The Unique System of Beneficiaries (Siuben) has agreed to share their database with the Dominican Telecommunications Institute (Indotel). Indotel expects to use the information to enhance poor people’s quality of life through telecommunications.

Siuben gathers information on the poor in the Dominican Republic. Siuben will share information on age, sex, number of homes, percentages with TV, cable TV, computers, Internet connection, tablet, cell phone, smartphone, landlines, radios and households with electricity.

Access to the data will also allow Indotel to plan for new area coverage and improved bandwidth in many underserved areas. The director of Indotel, Nelson Arroyo has said that low levels of Internet access among the poor is one reason making distance learning by Internet more difficult...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Good luck with that. The providers are extremely slow to roll out new technology into the marketplace. Eg Claro fiber internet to communities other than a few a long the north coast. I know people in Cabarete who have been waiting for along time even through the fiber line runs right in front of their property. and live not far from communities that already have the service. It took a years for 4G cell service to come to Sosua with Altice.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Every time I ask CLARO when they will have fiber service here in Cabarete (the fiber is 150 yards from my house), they say they don't know.

Regards to the OP, It is good to know that "Big Brother" is watching, eh? How many cell phones, TV's you have etc..

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Good luck with that. The providers are extremely slow to roll out new technology into the marketplace. Eg Claro fiber internet to communities other than a few a long the north coast. I know people in Cabarete who have been waiting for along time even through the fiber line runs right in front of their property. and live not far from communities that already have the service. It took a years for 4G cell service to come to Sosua with Altice.
I have Claro fiber optic where I live in Santiago. Its mediocre on the best of days. Hardly worth the price in my opinion but its a hell of a lot better than Colombia or Venezuela.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Claro pricing is much cheaper than the cable companies for comparable speed. at least they were,. when I lived in a community where Claro service was available.