Small shopping bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Gregg said:
this thread is for whiners. how about some strategies to reduce costs? buy in bulk? buy at markets? cook from scratch? get a breadmaker? raise a few chickens? plant a fruit tree?

The best answer Gregg, is for them to STOP buying imported (or imported BRAND names) & to buy LOCAL stuff:

For Kelloggs buy Maizzorana (or some such spelling) or Best Flakes
For Bran try Salvado (in cooking section - NOT in cereals section!!) or for bran flakes get Country Best.
For Campbell's buy Linda condensed or Maggi packet soups.
Flora or Mazorra margerine is RD $112 per THREE lb!!!
For Speedstick buy Deporte or Sure (local brand)
For Colgate buy Tropical's Dental plus
For Charmin buy Victoria's (I don't NEED to improve my sex life so I am prepared to pay RD $12 per roll rather than the cheaper RD $8.00 per roll).
Instead of Supermarket French loaf, buy 'Flouter' from local baker (RD $16)
Snickers & other chocolate biscuits??? I have regular supplies from England & USA brought down by friends & contacts (Which I generally pay for before our resident joker pipes in) which work out a LOT cheaper than buying here!

Apart from the 30% plus savings their pocket will benefit from, the local DR businesses will also prosper, so they will be doing GOOD for the DR at the same time!! THINK DOMINICAN - Not Convenience!!

We have started a small vegetable garden & produce our own peppers (green & hot reds!), have canteloupe melons starting to grow & will put other veges down as we find what will grow in our garden. We also have 2 grapefruit trees, 5 banana trees (cycled so as NOT to produce all at the same time!!), 3 orange trees, 4 lime trees, & 3 avocado trees, We also plant cherry tomatoes in Jan which give us 6 months of produce, April - October!!

If we can find these 30% plus savings in the supermarkets of Puerto Plata, I am sure that Santo Domingo & Santiago prices will afford even greater savings .................. IF they shop around sensibly!! ~ Grahame.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What!!!!!!!!!

Robert said:
Fridges: (These prices include taxes)

GE - GT18 - RD$33,025.00
GE - GMS10 - RD$13,940.00
I gather that GT18 means that the fridge is 18 cubic feet. Right?. So we are talking about US $ 1,179.46. Shi*, at the place that I work at, they have a side by side(26 c.f.), Frigidaire(which is about a Miguelzillions times better than GE) for, get this, 699.99!. They also have an 18 c.f Whirlpool fridge, on sale for 399.99 down from 449.99.

I swear, I see my moving to the DR much, much far awayyyyyyyyy! :cry:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Two things one should remember when looking at prices quoted in electrical stores - Note Well newcomers because these will save you BIG time.

1) Prices are often shown as "payment by Credit Price". It is assumed the buyer can not afford to pay CASH & therefore will be paying on credit - the shops therefore put THIS as the selling price rather than the CASH price. Tell the store you are paying CASH & you will generally see that price come down quite a bit!!

2) Negotiate!! Negotiate & then .............. Negotiate!! Having got the price down for CASH sale, find a small problem on the item that upsets you (colour, size, small dent/scratch - ANYTHING) & then negotiate an additional discount. Only find ONE thing to renegotiate the price, as you can then go back & repeat the procedure again & again until you have got the price you want (or are convinced you can't get it any lower!!).

In his example, Robert had not started the process of negotiation. I am sure with HIS experience of the culture here, once he got started the price would have come down by at least 20%!!!!!! ~ Grahame.

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
I just wanna know...

How it is that your can pay twice as much to wipe your arse ($80.00 for the red roll) as you can to drink a swill of beer (Bud, $39.95 a sixer). You, sir, are living in a sad place. My financial suggestion is to drink more, crap less.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Kuda said:
How it is that your can pay twice as much to wipe your arse ($80.00 for the red roll) as you can to drink a swill of beer (Bud, $39.95 a sixer). You, sir, are living in a sad place. My financial suggestion is to drink more, crap less.

Hehehehe! Very funny!

Larry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
miguel said:
I gather that GT18 means that the fridge is 18 cubic feet. Right?. So we are talking about US $ 1,179.46. Shi*, at the place that I work at, they have a side by side(26 c.f.), Frigidaire(which is about a Miguelzillions times better than GE) for, get this, 699.99!. They also have an 18 c.f Whirlpool fridge, on sale for 399.99 down from 449.99.

I swear, I see my moving to the DR much, much far awayyyyyyyyy! :cry:
Back when the dollar was at 42/1 a Frigidaire 21cf was $61,000.00, and that included a discout.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
BushBaby said:
In his example, Robert had not started the process of negotiation. I am sure with HIS experience of the culture here, once he got started the price would have come down by at least 20%!!!!!! ~ Grahame.

I agree with you 100%, you should always negotiate and if you can send a local along to do it, even better. Ideally you should find the owner/manager or someone that can make a decision.

The prices quoted are straight off the labels.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
A few more prices that it wrote down at "Jumbo" today (Nov 8, 2004).
Exchange rate US$1 = RD$28

Hardware: (These prices exclude taxes)

Acrylic House Paint (1 gallon) - RD$352.00
Bosch GSR, 14.4 VE2 Cordless Drill - RD$18,500.00
Skil 7.25 inch Skill Saw (5500-01) - RD$4,607.00

ok, so i was reading here last week about the high cost of paint, RD$352 is $12.50US. Top name paint in Canada sells for at least triple that.

$660US for the cordless drill is outrageous, the Skil saw not much better.

how about electricity-790KWH over 30 days for me in Sept. =$90.Cdn--$72.US

i'm not discouraged yet. for Canadians with our $ going up compared to US things look better than last year. but how long will that last?

mob

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mobrouser said:
how about electricity-790KWH over 30 days for me in Sept. =$90.Cdn--$112.50US

i'm not discouraged yet. for Canadians with our $ going up compared to US things look better than last year. but how long will that last?
mob

With GWB back in power for another four years, I'm quite optimistic as to the state of our dollar! ;) We also have Ralph Klein out here working on some O&G rebates for us Albertans, as well as eliminating Personal Provincial Income Tax, so as long as he stays in power, things are looking good!

I think your exchange calculation is a little off - give us another 6 months, and maybe we'll get there :cheeky: $90. Cdn is more like about $75 US right now. My power bill in AB last month was just over $100 (family of 4) - and I shudder to think about the natural gas prices this winter. We had bills up to $140/month last year, and our house isn't huge. What are the heating bills like in the DR? ;) ;) ;)

On another note, I really don't know how the average Dominican is surviving right now. Can anyone speculate as to whether or not prices are going to start dropping? Did I hear that gasoline prices finally took a big dive in the US? Will that, sooner or later, reflect upon the DR?

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
where is earth?

Simon & Nicky said:
I think you'll find we all have to pay tax my friend. My earnings from abroad are taxed at source - This ain't the Cayman Islands my friend. :cry:

well it doesn't apply to everyone equally. if you have your money, investments etc.. in the DR, the tax rate is neglible or non-existent isn't it? i would guess you are receiving funds from the UK.

expats still get a 1 year holiday and off-shore income is not taxed (yet...) officially. even locally earned income is taxed at less than half of what i would pay in Canada.

and let's not forget all of the "other" taxes. surely you are paying less in property tax, license renewals etc... than you would in the UK? i just renewed my vehicle plates here and it cost me $200 CDN for the year.

my point is that, generally, expats have chosen the DR because of a better tax climate, amongst other things. i have a hard time believing i will be paying out over 70% of my income in taxes in the DR, as compared to Canada.

so, blah blah blah from me but there is no straight comparison of the cost of butter in Sosua and that in Canada, US or UK. i think everyone just likes to whine about the price increases but this does not really address the actual cost of living as compared to the northern nations.

no wonder someone asks about the cost of living just about every week in these forums.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Gregg said:
well it doesn't apply to everyone equally. if you have your money, investments etc.. in the DR, the tax rate is neglible or non-existent isn't it? i would guess you are receiving funds from the UK.

expats still get a 1 year holiday and off-shore income is not taxed (yet...) officially. even locally earned income is taxed at less than half of what i would pay in Canada.

and let's not forget all of the "other" taxes. surely you are paying less in property tax, license renewals etc... than you would in the UK? i just renewed my vehicle plates here and it cost me $200 CDN for the year.

my point is that, generally, expats have chosen the DR because of a better tax climate, amongst other things. i have a hard time believing i will be paying out over 70% of my income in taxes in the DR, as compared to Canada.

so, blah blah blah from me but there is no straight comparison of the cost of butter in Sosua and that in Canada, US or UK. i think everyone just likes to whine about the price increases but this does not really address the actual cost of living as compared to the northern nations.

no wonder someone asks about the cost of living just about every week in these forums.

Very good points, but considering the wages for the average Dominican versus the average Canadian, there is also no comparison. That's the reason why so many are suffering. With these prices, try to make a living on $300 Canadian at best.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Diantre!!

Pib said:
Back when the dollar was at 42/1 a Frigidaire 21cf was $61,000.00, and that included a discout.
That would have been US $ 1,452.00. I went up to the Majors Dept. where I work to see the Fridges and I noticed that they have a Frigidaire, 18.2 c.f. for 369.99. They also have a Maytag (the first or second best name-brand), 21 c.f. for just 749.99.

Those prices in the DR are just insane!!.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
miguel said:
That would have been US $ 1,452.00. I went up to the Majors Dept. where I work to see the Fridges and I noticed that they have a Frigidaire, 18.2 c.f. for 369.99. They also have a Maytag (the first or second best name-brand), 21 c.f. for just 749.99.

BTW, that is a stainless steel fridge. It is more expensive than the regular ones. Still very expensive compared to the prices in the US. Also remember that fridges pay duties, taxes and luxury item taxes.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
i agree 100%

trina said:
Very good points, but considering the wages for the average Dominican versus the average Canadian, there is also no comparison. That's the reason why so many are suffering. With these prices, try to make a living on $300 Canadian at best.

i agree with you. my reply to Simon was really focused on the expat population and not the local workers. yes, the cost of living is going up but many/most/some of the expats can't bet hurting as much as they claim.

i think Bushbaby understood what i meant in the sense that talking about solutions is much more worthwhile than listing the price of everything in the store and having everyone compare to their own prices like there is any real parity to be found.

i know people in Canada who spend at least 100% more on their food bills than we do...and we eat way better. of course, we have to commit more time to food preparation.

as a wannabe/plan-to-be emigrant, i can see how others can't get a handle on "the cost of living in the DR", as evidenced by so many posts on this subject.

i am more than willing to concede that i will not know our true cost of living in the DR until a few months down there. how people spend their money is a fascinating thing no matter where you live.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Gregg said:
i agree with you. my reply to Simon was really focused on the expat population and not the local workers. yes, the cost of living is going up but many/most/some of the expats can't bet hurting as much as they claim.

i think Bushbaby understood what i meant in the sense that talking about solutions is much more worthwhile than listing the price of everything in the store and having everyone compare to their own prices like there is any real parity to be found.

i know people in Canada who spend at least 100% more on their food bills than we do...and we eat way better. of course, we have to commit more time to food preparation.

as a wannabe/plan-to-be emigrant, i can see how others can't get a handle on "the cost of living in the DR", as evidenced by so many posts on this subject.

i am more than willing to concede that i will not know our true cost of living in the DR until a few months down there. how people spend their money is a fascinating thing no matter where you live.

Definitely, but the fall of the USD happened so quickly, it's tough for anyone accustomed to making a certain wage to take such a dive. Take, for instance, the people being paid in American $$$ - in such instances, their $ is worth nearly half of what is was before, a dramatic drop in a very short time. The ex-pats who own businesses being paid in pesos are suffering, because their earnings aren't rising with the rising of the peso, but the cost of living is. As well, with the economy suffering as it is, people just aren't as willing or able to spend their money in such businesses.

I have no doubt, if you're careful with your money, you can still live there for cheaper than what we live on. However, the issue boils down to your earning power. You're most definitely right about how people spend their money. It seems that most people I know live paycheck to paycheck and are riddled with debt, no matter how much $$$ they make. A $20,000/year raise is as easily spent as it was before they had that extra money.

As Canadians, I think we're very lucky to be living where we are. I'm quite certain that most of our taxes go into programs that benefit us directly, or will benefit us someday. But then again, I live in Ralph Klein's house, Alberta. I can't speak for all Canadians. I'm lucky that I am able to collect UI for one full year and am able to stay at home with my child just because I made the choice to have a baby. I'm lucky I can afford to get sick, because not only will my wages be covered, but I won't have a hospital bill to pay when I leave, no matter the cost. I'm lucky I can travel nearly anywhere in the world without a visa, because I'm not considered a threat, based solely on where I was born. I'm lucky that University education only cost me 25% of the actual cost of my education - the other 75% came from the taxes I pay. Not so many people are so lucky.

BTW, it sounds like you have a good handle on how to spend your money, so I have little doubt you'll be just fine if you choose to emigrate. If you don't try it, you'll never know, right? :) Best of luck!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
With an attitude like that Gregg I am convinced you are going to be successful down here when you come to live here (note I said LIVE, not retire - the successful seldom RETIRE here, they carry onliving!!).

"She who must be Obeyed" will offer some trips to the local stores to enjoy HER shopping experiences, showing you (&/or yours) where she shops, what are good Dominican alternatives to "Gringo" imported stuff, plus her 'Discount seeking' style. I will offer trips to other establishments you may need & commence negotiating techniques I have gleened over the years on your behalf IF you require/want them!

You are right - just because something is cheaper than in own's own country of origin does NOT make that item cheap, it makes it worthy of consideration for purchase!! Having GOT something worthy of consideration, one checks it against alternatives & when it stacks up against all opposition, one commences 'negotiations' for a more acceptable price! Buying major items/appliances can take days or weeks to bring to a satissfactory conclusion, it all depends on the urgency you have to get that item/appliance. Be aware, the quicker you take to buy it, the more (generally speaking & assuming quality is compatible) you will pay for it!

Hmmm, - Ginnie used to be a university lecturer, I wonder if we should start her working again as a "Shopping Consultant"???? Big thumbs down there I suspect as she would want to limit it to friends & sensible Re-locators!!! ~ Grahame.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
i look forward to it!

BushBaby said:
"She who must be Obeyed" will offer some trips to the local stores to enjoy HER shopping experiences, showing you (&/or yours) where she shops, what are good Dominican alternatives to "Gringo" imported stuff, plus her 'Discount seeking' style. I will offer trips to other establishments you may need & commence negotiating techniques I have gleened over the years on your behalf IF you require/want them!

Grahame.

thanks Grahame, i look forward to meeting you and your dominatrix ;) . we hope to be there by February. we are just selling our farm now. farms can go fast or slow, so time will tell.

i am a liberated sort of guy who does most of the cooking and, therefore, the food shopping (of course, i swing an axe and haul water and do all number of manly type things too). to me, a house becomes a home only when you can cook in it. eating at restaurants constantly is depressing.

we have been raising pigs and chickens and garden vegetables for the past few years. just hobby farming really. sometimes the costs are high for the final product but the quality is superb.

the long, drawn-out negotiations can be fun when you are in the mood. in my rural area, it took me 3 hours to go and buy $12 worth of straw. everyone in the country takes their time. takes some getting used to. the Amish will just pause in a conversation and then dead silence for quite some time. used to think it was time to wrap things up but now i know they were just composing their next two sentences!

i don't want to bend anyone's nose out of joint, least of all Simon's (i really enjoyed meeting him and Nicky at Rocky's). i just wanted to clarify somethings for everyone else. i guess i will "know it all" at some point but it will take some time to really learn the DR way.

cheers,

Gregg

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Eddie Antar

miguel said:

Did Crazy Eddie just reopen in the Dominican Republic?

"Crazy Eddie....his prices are INSANE!!!!!"

JD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Use Toilet Paper!

I go from the toilet into the shower,and wash myself clean! Really Clean! Using toilet paper just manages to rub it in,and then spread it around! Try a bidet or a shower after!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Still!

Pib said:
BTW, that is a stainless steel fridge. It is more expensive than the regular ones. Still very expensive compared to the prices in the US. Also remember that fridges pay duties, taxes and luxury item taxes.
True, stainless steel is more expensive. Still, those prices in the DR are amazing. There's a Frigidaire Stainless Steel Package that comes with a 21 c. f. fridge, a dishwasher and a self-cleaning range for $ 1,688.00.