Smell my Foot

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am translating a children's book ("Smell my Foot") from English to Spanish. My question: Are the words huele and oler interchangeable? I'm thinking NOT but would like to have technical explanation.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Oler means"to smell" as in "to sniff", as opposed to a foul odor . Huele is 3rd person: he/she/it smells. You would probably use Hueles: (You) smell my foot. If I'm wrong it means my Spanish lessons have been for naught. I believe it shares a root with "olfactory".

Reactions: CristoRey

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Wouldn't it be the imperative? Huele mi pie
FYI:
OLER is the infinitive (like VIVIR or TOMAR or QUERER)
HUELE is the conjugated form but they are the same verb.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sorry Johne, but is that the best title there is to translate?
LOL.Yes. It is a fabulous children's book written by Cece Bell who is a Newbery Honor winner and the book won the Theodor Seuss Honor. It isa is a Junior Guild Selection for ages 4-8 which is exactly the age group I am involved with.

Reactions: Michael DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Sorry Johne, but is that the best title there is to translate?
Wouldn't it be the imperative? Huele mi pie
FYI:
OLER is the infinitive (like VIVIR or TOMAR or QUERER)
HUELE is the conjugated form but they are the same verb.

Shouldn't that be hueles mi pie ?
I would hope you are a least on familiar terms with the person to whom you are lifting your foot to their nose.

On the eve of Halloween we are approaching - Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Shouldn't that be hueles mi pie ?
I would hope you are a least on familiar terms with the person to whom you are lifting your foot to their nose.

On the eve of Halloween we are approaching - Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat

No, it's not related to 'usted'. It's the imperative, like 'Close the door'. You are directing someone to do something.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No, it's not related to 'usted'. It's the imperative, like 'Close the door'. You are directing someone to do something.
Well it's even ruder to be a directive. Just look at my feet (only) . They're in flip flops 365 days a year.
Pedicure needed.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well I must say "Smell My Foot" is a respite from the usual daily posts here on DR1. There are days where I get tired and down and out over "the water dripping" of overstaying, virus, and the dire shape of Haiti. All of them very important but every once and a while I need a dose of "Smell My Foot". Have a nice weekend all!

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
For your reference: Smell My Foot. Cece Bell . Candlewick Press. First Edition 2019. Isbn 978-0-7636-1

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Well I must say "Smell My Foot" is a respite from the usual daily posts here on DR1. There are days where I get tired and down and out over "the water dripping" of overstaying, virus, and the dire shape of Haiti. All of them very important but every once and a while I need a dose of "Smell My Foot". Have a nice weekend all!
But the content of the book does not seem much different from this forum :LOL:

You will find the same personalities here, ref. the book overview. Spoiler : Chick is not the overstayer ;)

Meet Chick and Brain. And their friend Spot. Chick likes to follow the rules. Brain might not be as smart as he looks. And Spot just wants to eat lunch. In a graphic reader loaded with verbal and visual humor, Cece Bell offers a comical primer on good manners gone awry. Simple, silly, and perfectly suited for its audience, this tale of Chick and Brain’s constant misunderstandings and miscommunications proves once again that Cece Bell is a master at meeting kids where they are

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But the content of the book does not seem much different from this forum :LOL:

You will find the same personalities here, ref. the book overview. Spoiler : Chick is not the overstayer ;)

Meet Chick and Brain. And their friend Spot. Chick likes to follow the rules. Brain might not be as smart as he looks. And Spot just wants to eat lunch. In a graphic reader loaded with verbal and visual humor, Cece Bell offers a comical primer on good manners gone awry. Simple, silly, and perfectly suited for its audience, this tale of Chick and Brain’s constant misunderstandings and miscommunications proves once again that Cece Bell is a master at meeting kids where they are
Now you are understanding of using what I want to say (for my grammar) a children's book, and at the same time making a relevant statement .

Reactions: CDNBear

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Can you help??
Johne, I am a certified translator FROM Spanish INTO English (not vice versa) but I reckon I could help since it's a kid's book. If you still need help, can you tell me how many paragraphs of text it is, roughly? Or how many pages (and how many sentences per page)?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I recommend using a translator whose first language is Spanish.
Everyone I know, associate with, live with, meets the requirement of "spanish as first language", but the problem is just about all of them do not know their grammar. It's ok, I have since referenced my question and answered it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Johne, I am a certified translator FROM Spanish INTO English (not vice versa) but I reckon I could help since it's a kid's book. If you still need help, can you tell me how many paragraphs of text it is, roughly? Or how many pages (and how many sentences per page)?
Many thanks for the offer. It is not a complex subject and I have done the transaction that will serve the purpose of reading the book and showing the graphics to youngsters.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I did not post a link to the book as I wasn't sure if that was permitted here. But, it's easy to see the content and review of the book thru a search on line.