So I paid 20,000 pesos

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If I want to exit the country, how would they know what date I entered the DR ??

Not exactly sure how they determine your entry date but they must have a record of it somewhere because the
immigration supervisor who brought me back to the Passport Control knew I had overstayed.

My situation and yours sound like they are the same. I purchased a new passport back in May of 2013
when the old one expired. I did not have any stamps in the new passport. When they checked to verify
my entry (original entry stamp), they used and made a copy of my old passport with my entry stamp dated April 2012.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Did you get a computerized receipt with your name, etc., printed on it?

I am 99% sure it has my name on it. I don't have the receipt with me at the moment but I will take a look at it later this evening
and get back to you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dude, I chose the name CristoRey (as in Las Flores, Cristo Rey, Santo Domingo) because it
was the first neighborhood in this country I lived in. Perhaps I should have chosen
Urbanization Hilario (Nagua) or Charamicos (Sosua)...
Nah, think I'll stick with CristoRey.

Is that anywhere near the barrio , Panties Flojos ??

I am told such a barrio exists... for real !!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
One thing I forgot to mention in my report/ thread. Now that I am back here in the states
I plan on doing everything necessary to start the legal residency process before I return to
the Dominican Republic.
I would suggest to anyone who is in a similar situation as mine, they do the same when they
get home if they are planning on returning one day to live in the beautiful Wonderland we
call the Dominican Republic. :classic:

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Not exactly sure how they determine your entry date but they must have a record of it somewhere because the
immigration supervisor who brought me back to the Passport Control knew I had overstayed.

My situation and yours sound like they are the same. I purchased a new passport back in May of 2013
when the old one expired. I did not have any stamps in the new passport. When they checked to verify
my entry (original entry stamp), they used and made a copy of my old passport with my entry stamp dated April 2012.

So you also kept your old passport or did they knew from the computers ??

But that's mainly the reason why I'm not planning any trip soon... lol....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
One thing I forgot to mention in my report/ thread. Now that I am back here in the states
I plan on doing everything necessary to start the legal residency process before I return to
the Dominican Republic.
I would suggest to anyone who is in a similar situation as mine, they do the same when they
get home if they are planning on returning one day to live in the beautiful Wonderland we
call the Dominican Republic. :classic:

Good thinking.
It appears from your post and others here that the system is changing a bit.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Did you get a computerized receipt with your name, etc., printed on it?

The new immigration computer system is not yet installed/being used at the Puerto Plata airport, but it will be someday. In all likelihood your cash contribution to the DR was pocketed. If you had departed from Santo Domingo and the same circumstances transpired, in all likelihood you'd need to pay again the next time you arrived in the country.

There is a payment office in POP. Me, knowing I have to pay anyways, I'd pay before getting in line and I'd have a receipt in hand. I'd much rather have a delay when leaving, than when arriving.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The new immigration computer system is not yet installed/being used at the Puerto Plata airport, but it will be someday. In all likelihood your cash contribution to the DR was pocketed. If you had departed from Santo Domingo and the same circumstances transpired, in all likelihood you'd need to pay again the next time you arrived in the country.

There is a payment office in POP. Me, knowing I have to pay anyways, I'd pay before getting in line and I'd have a receipt in hand. I'd much rather have a delay when leaving, than when arriving.

Is it true Cibao International Airport (STI) now has auto gates, cameras and fingerprinting equipment as stated in the articles posted back at the beginning of May when promoting the auto gates? http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-servicio-del-control-migratorio-automatizado

If so it seems the modernization of the immigration system is moving from airport to airport after rolling out in SDQ as was promised.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Tell me... I entered the DR for the last time in August 2012 and never did the residency thing. Since that time, I renewed my passport from here. My passport number has changed so my question is: If I want to exit the country, how would they know what date I entered the DR ??

BTW, I had my expired passport returned to me when my renewal was done.

Well, technically if your passport was registered at immigration when you entered the DR than there is a date in their computer records and they are not relying upon the stamp in your passport

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Well, technically if your passport was registered at immigration when you entered the DR than there is a date in their computer records and they are not relying upon the stamp in your passport

I know but since my passport number has changed, can they track it ?? I came in at POP airport...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
should be the biometrics ( birth date, etc) not the passport , per se.

POP seems to be lagging in the new system.... there may be nothing on record for you
Which is when they use the maximum anyway, so no foul, no harm

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know but since my passport number has changed, can they track it ?? I came in at POP airport...

This is the DR so maybe not. But how hard is it to link an old passport and a new passport number to the same person in a data base?

As long as they still allow "pay as you go", there will always be people opting for that.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
This is the DR so maybe not. But how hard is it to link an old passport and a new passport number to the same person in a data base?

As long as they still allow "pay as you go", there will always be people opting for that.

I went into Banreservas to change my passport number with them and they say it takes the bank 3 to 4 business days to do so. of course, that is not a government data base, but to me it seems like it would be s fast as using a debit card and checking to see if the money was available.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't that the question ? (and the point I was trying to make )

The passport number is incidental to the bearer....
The system tracks the citizen and the passport number seems to be just one of the factors.

For instance, in Ontario (and the US) watch them hunt your birth date regardless of the ID you present.
In Canada these days ALL you identification is supposed to read the same.
Driver's license matches Passport matches SSN.... and so on

As in Joseph T Riddle, or Joseph Thomas Riddle.... never the twain shall meet
One or the other, never a mismatch

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Isn't that the question ? (and the point I was trying to make )

The passport number is incidental to the bearer....
The system tracks the citizen and the passport number seems to be just one of the factors.

For instance, in Ontario (and the US) watch them hunt your birth date regardless of the ID you present.
In Canada these days ALL you identification is supposed to read the same.
Driver's license matches Passport matches SSN.... and so on

As in Joseph T Riddle, or Joseph Thomas Riddle.... never the twain shall meet
One or the other, never a mismatch

Interesting about all ID matching. Most of mine match, but some have middle initial and some don't, but my passport is totally different. It has my full middle name and my maiden name plus married name [I had the passport before we got married and just appended the new surname]. When they print my receipt for the overstay fine, it's in my maiden name without my "legal" surname.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Left out of POP 2 weeks ago. Knew I needed to pay 4,000x2 pesos for 5 month stay.
When asked for the money I said I wanted a receipt.
The response was: "give me six" (and no receipt, obviously).