So Leonel Quits the PLD and Forms a New Party

J

Juan Bosch

Leonel resigning got me in a good mood...I think I will pop some wine tonight...the country needs new faces period...

U

USA DOC

I hope not, but the rest of Latin America (Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, El Salvador, Venezuela, Honduras, Bolivia, Ecuador, and to some extent Puerto Rico) are all in current state of unrest - it does not take much to think the DR could follow in those Footsteps

…...Amen....

W

windeguy

I can assure you that Dominicans are not as concerned regarding this possibility as expatriates are. It will work itself out, as always, just in a different direction.....or party for that matter.
The PRD needed to separate itself from Hipólito Mejia, and this has finally been done.

That certainly needed doing. As far as possible from Mr. Potato Head.

L

ljmesg

I hope not, but the rest of Latin America (Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, El Salvador, Venezuela, Honduras, Bolivia, Ecuador, and to some extent Puerto Rico) are all in current state of unrest - it does not take much to think the DR could follow in those Footsteps
Never will happen. The DR populace are 10,000,000 Pavlovian dogs beaten into a state of reasonableness. Not beaten in the sense of physically beaten. Beaten in the sense of hearts and minds. The masses are quelled.

J

jd_mine

I wonder what my in laws will do now. They marched in every parade during all the elections in the last 16 years decked out in purple supporting Leonel (and Danilo because Leonel told them to) and got their botellas in return.
Difficult choice to make now. Follow Leonel and risk losing their PLD botellas? Stick with PLD but be known as Leonel supporters? Interesting....

A

AlterEgo

I wonder what my in laws will do now. They marched in every parade during all the elections in the last 16 years decked out in purple supporting Leonel (and Danilo because Leonel told them to) and got their botellas in return.
Difficult choice to make now. Follow Leonel and risk losing their PLD botellas? Stick with PLD but be known as Leonel supporters? Interesting....

Uh oh....

C

cobraboy

Loiyalty to one man comes with risks.

M

Mauricio

"The People's Force"

Leonel renuncia del PLD, dice en el 2020 «E’ pa’ fuera que van» y crea partido «La Fuerza del Pueblo»

Not sure how it impacts 2020---isn't there a law that says if you lose in the primary you can't run in a different party?---but the guy is obviously bitter.

Interesting times.

Gonna take a really large slice of some sweet pie to get him back on board with the PLD.

The law says that a person that is presented as a candidate to be postulated by a party cannot leave that party and become candidate for another party. Danilistas would like to interprete that as that a candidate in the primaries can’t leave the party to become candidate for another party but the context of the law is to prevent CHOSEN candidates (a candidate to be postulated as president, e.g Gonzalo) leave the party and become candidate for another party. Leonel ‘lost’ so if free to become candidate for La Fuerza del Pueblo.

M

Matilda

There are two laws involved. The Organic Law of the Electoral Regime 15-19 article 134 and the Political Parties law 33-18, article 49, paragraph 4.
Article 134 of Law 15-19 says that those people who have been nominated for an electoral position by a party, group, political movement or alliance, which they belong to, cannot be nominated by any other party, group, political movement or alliance, during the same electoral process.
And Law 33-18, in article 49, establishes the requirements to be a pre-candidate and in paragraph 4 says that the person aspiring to be a pre-candidate for a determined electoral event, representing a party, group or political movement, cannot participate as a candidate for another party, group of political movement, for the same electoral event.

matilda

M

Mauricio

There are two laws involved. The Organic Law of the Electoral Regime 15-19 article 134 and the Political Parties law 33-18, article 49, paragraph 4.
Article 134 of Law 15-19 says that those people who have been nominated for an electoral position by a party, group, political movement or alliance, which they belong to, cannot be nominated by any other party, group, political movement or alliance, during the same electoral process.
And Law 33-18, in article 49, establishes the requirements to be a pre-candidate and in paragraph 4 says that the person aspiring to be a pre-candidate for a determined electoral event, representing a party, group or political movement, cannot participate as a candidate for another party, group of political movement, for the same electoral event.

matilda

The second law you’re mentioning reads:

Que el aspirante a una precandidatura para un determinado evento electoral, en representación de un partido, agrupación o movimiento político no haya participado como candidato por otro partido, agrupación o movimiento político para el mismo evento electoral.

So basically it’s inverted: a precandidate (meaning i suppose candidate in the primaries) for party X cannot have participate as candidate (not precandidate) for party Y in the same electoral event. In Leonel’s case: he wasn’t a candidate (he was a precandidate) for the PLD so apparently is free to be pre-candidate or
candidate for another party.

An article in Listin Diario btw explained how the law of parties is contradictory in several articles because of the amendments that have been made trying to get constitutional changes pushed through.

I must say, though following it remotely this time, this all makes me think back of the elections in 2004 when the campaign was very intense with Hipolito, Leonel and Eduardo fighting to be president: e’pa fuera que van, me apagaron el hacho compañero, fake recordings of Leonel telling his business friends to send dollars abroad to raise the exchange rate, etc. etc. I loved the drama then.

C

Celt202

Easy... grovel.

J

johne

What is the voice of "young people" in these matters? Are they pro-active? Do any of the old farts care what they have to say?

T

Tom F.

Read that Leonel is negotiating with the Reformistas to be their candidate and then make a deal with the PRM to oppose the PLD. Straight from the Balaguer playbook.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Read that Leonel is negotiating with the Reformistas to be their candidate and then make a deal with the PRM to oppose the PLD. Straight from the Balaguer playbook.

I heard that LF and MF are taking flying lessons for TUCANOS.
If you want to know who bought them just look up in the SKY.
If you want to know ware the money went just look up in the sky.
If you want to know why MF is V.P. just look up in the sky.
If you want to know why LF wants to be president again is to keep you looking up in the sky !
That's why you will never know WHY!