So sad: Pals decide to swim to Las Calderas; only one so far made it back

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Jesus-Natanael-Gomez-Listin-Diario-e1680181168884.png
Jesús Natanael Gómez / Listín Diario

Three close friends went for a family outing in Salinas on Sunday, 26 March 2023. They decided to do the crossing to Las Calderas Bay. They had masks, snorkels and a buoy. After 45 minutes at sea they realized they were lost.

Being the better swimmer of the three, Natanael Jesús Gómez decided to turn back and find help. He had been around 12 hours at sea before reaching shore.

His two pals, Jerry Botín and José Antonio Lora, of Gómez same age, 27 years, stayed at sea, holding on to the buoy.

On his way back to the coast, Gomez encountered a fisherman, but the fisherman said he did not have the fuel to go on a search. By the time, Gomez got to shore and found help in town, it was too late for a search that day. The next day, the search did not produce results. Nor the day after.

Warning to the young and foolish… Never...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
When you look at it on the map, it looks like a reasonably easy journey. Absolutely tragic, and one of them is a young father. I can only imagine what his family is going through.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well if they entered the water closest to Salinas that is a 30+ mile swim.
I can't believe even the best swimmer would be that stupid ?

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Something strikes me as wrong about that picture. If that's him in the hospital, he doesn't look particularly distressed about losing his friends nor physically distressed after "...staying more than 24 hours in the depths of the Caribbean Sea" (as per Listin Diario). A shower and change of clothes wouldn't clean him up that well. Any idea where/when the photo was taken?

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Something strikes me as wrong about that picture. If that's him in the hospital, he doesn't look particularly distressed about losing his friends nor physically distressed after "...staying more than 24 hours in the depths of the Caribbean Sea" (as per Listin Diario). A shower and change of clothes wouldn't clean him up that well. Any idea where/when the photo was taken?
Thinking the same and no sever sunburn from being on the water for 12 hours. Where is the fisherman he says he encountered ?
Why didn't he send help instead of help being summoned only when this guy made it to shore ?.
Something is more fishy than the peces en el mar to this story.