so why the Dominicans....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf, Bob.... sorry, not clear enough in my post.

They cover newborns meticulously......extremely carefully .....

They know what to do

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
exactly, if there is a will, there are no problems with installing it. I'm not even talking about "shacks" or wooden houses...I talk about "normal" buildings,houses and hotels that RARELY have nets installed here.

No mosquito netting was fixed to our windows originally. Our windows do not have glass only persiani and metal bars, mosquito netting was fixed retrospectically by fixing a wooded surround to the concrete blocks outside then affixing the netting to that, it works very well. We bought the netting from a fereteria by the foot. Can't remember the cost but certainly was not expensive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I bought my house, I had screens installed on virtually EVERY OPENING into the house!!!!
Took my Dominican family about 1 year to poke holes in all of them, about 2 years to rip them to shreads, so I just took them all down!!!!
NOW, they complain about the flies and mosquitos!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dominican LOGIC"!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN'T WIN HERE!!!!

ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO, i JUST STOPPED FIXING THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE AS THEY GOT BROKEN, LOST, STOLEN, OR WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

MUCH CHEAPER, and they really don't care anyway!!!!!!!!!!

Who needs toilet seats????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I agree that the gap between the roof and the walls serves a useful uinction. However, it also makes installing any sport of effective mesh or screening to keep mosquitoes out a lot more difficult.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not really......... I truly think its a financial issue....and a functional one.

doors are open a lot - people come/go....

mice/rats will chew through (as they do to get to the food in our kitchen)

just one of those things Dominican.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominicans also do not have toilets where one can throw toilet paper. so your idea of what's reasonable does not apply here.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
in case if you dont know that - you can throw toilet paper into the toilet only in the 1st world countries.
it doesnt work here, like it doesnt work in Asia,many places in South America, Africa and the others :)
dominicans also do not have toilets where one can throw toilet paper. so your idea of what's reasonable does not apply here.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
in case if you dont know that - you can throw toilet paper into the toilet only in the 1st world countries.
it doesnt work here, like it doesnt work in Asia,many places in South America, Africa and the others :)

It works for me!!! I do that at least once per day usually about 10:30AM.

It only seems right: if I can poop in that hole I must be able to throw toilet paper in there too.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The problem with toilets, sinks, tubs is that there is no vent pipe. So, the flow is obstructed by big air bubbles. Where is that plumber wanna be Dr resident?

I also put coffee grounds down my sink! Top that only if you have an electric garbage disposal!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we bought the house as is and it costs too much money to upgrade the septic system. so sadly, the bin it is.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
yes I do and will always do, regardless of the signs in the hotels and so on in any given country.
after some time - yes,I admit, the toilet may get clogged...but there is some magic acid sold here in each ferreteria. you just slosh it inside the toilet and it is like new. but it is advised to leave the bathroom after pouring it.
Can we have a poll? Do you poop and throw toilet paper in the same hole. I know we can't checkup on you but be honest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Actually , NYC is having some big problems with 'over active' flushing... baby wipes don't dissolve, apparently - even though rated as 'flushable'

maybe this is a good place for the screens... to 'filter' the refuse,,,,,

dv8... will you start a pilot program ?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dom wife says it goes in the bin. Modern tp dissolves. No telling her. AND when we have the no flush problem it will be my fault. I take the easy way and just go along.After a time its a habit. No screens is a different story.We have screens. Some things are worth the fight.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
On screens, for windows and doors. Yes its good. If u have "real" sliding glass double/triple window, very easy to install in the rail.
If u have "dominican " windows, ie slates that open and close, just nail the screens to the wall.
The doors are the problem. In and out, not very convinient.
Someone had talked awhile back about magnetic door screens thatwould close themselves after walled through....... never could find those.

Second point. YES they do stop lots of the breeze blowing through and so make the house hotter.

Also, has anyone ever skept under those bed screens ?? One would die of heat....... unless AC.
I only use mine to sleep outside on hammock now.

Next, the toilet paper poll.
First case, mine in the campo, used waters are NOT going into the sewers, but into a sceptic tank. Up to each one of u to build it to standards. Then u can throw toilet paper down the loo.
But EVEN if u can, who will ??? What to do when ure sceptic tank is full ?? Not many sceptic pumping lorries around, and in my case he would need a 175 meter flexible tube to reach it.
Campo solution, when sceptic is full, seal it and build another. So less solids=longer use.

Second case. Maybe in towns people are connected to a sewer system.......I' d be scared of reciving a share of everybody elses sh!t in my bathroom.