so why the Dominicans....

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
It is a hassle replacing screens that "lovers" escape through. It is not simply a one time purchase.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I ran a portable toilet operation for several years, and there are a few things that plug up a hose when pumping poop. The pampers and the ladies' tolla! I've had to back flush those any number of times. But with permanent plumbing I believe that a 4 inch drain can swallow the paper.

Finally, it all makes sense.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
strangely - it is not so difficult to install in other tropical countries....
and even if it is 100 $ for all windows, I think thats good price to not get bitten....

The issue is probably not moquitos, but sand flies. They are sometimes small enough to fit through the mesh and will still bite like mosquitoes do.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
This reminds me of an American who asked me why Dominicans preferred motorcyles to cars. And also, a poster here asking why Dominicans don't use tupperware or aluminum foil for better food storage.

Anyway, one of the reasons is that nets are definetively expensive. Plus, we're not only talking about mosquitoes, and the windows are not the only points of access for insects. If you live in a tin roof house, and depending on where you live, you?ll have cokroackes, spiders, frogs, rats, beetles, moths, and lots of other bugs that get in through spaces usually left between the roof and the walls. They come up at night and will jump on you if you don't have a mosquito net. A well tucked in mosquito net offeres a better overal protection.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I live on the second floor and have glass in all the windows and no screens, although I've often thought about putting them in. There just isn't enough mosquitos to bother with. If I lived on the ground floor I would put in screens, and when I build my
caba?a on my finca I'll definitely put screen on the window as the bugs on there will eat you alive, even in the sun.

Aug 6, 2006
The less you put in a toilet with a septic tank, the fewer problems you will have. If all that goes into it is human waste, bacteria will liquefy everything and it will seep out into a drain field below the surface. Paper may dissolve, but it will result in the drain field being clogged sooner. In Miami, where the soil is mostly sand over coral rock the call oolite, a drain field is good for about 30 years. If you pump the tank every ten, it can last for fifty, based on a neighbor's experience.
The biggest problem with putting the paper in a bin is that people do not use a bin with a lid on it, and this causes the bathroom to stink in a very short period.

Aug 6, 2006
When Lorenza la Cubana left my house several years ago, TP consumption declined from two rolls a week to one a month. Women tend to use vastly huge amounts of TP, I have discovered. I have not done sufficient research to establish that this is a necessity.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
First thing I did was bring down treated mosquito nets.

Most places have too many holes and then there's the open door policy, to speak not of the vandalism, to consider screens in a Dominican household.

Whenever I caught someone not using the mosquito net for my kids - they got on the 'no luxury food/presents/trips' list for the entire stay. It helped

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
oh yes, they are. few big Presidentes or small portion of samsung galaxy.
I asked from the perspective of other tropical countries when they are installed frequently.... not US or European.
Anyway - I live now on the second floor, have no mosquito nets - and have also no mosquitos. which is good. but the fan is always working when I am in the room and the windows are open in the night only when the light is off
I stayed in around 30 various hotels, rooms and flats in this country and maybe 3 or 4 of them had mosquito nets
and I'm not talking about wooden shacks here, just normal concrete/stone buildings
Anyway, one of the reasons is that nets are definetively expensive.

Can we have a poll? Do you poop and throw toilet paper in the same hole. I know we can't checkup on you but be honest.

Yup poop and throw toilet paper in my house and mostly everywhere else in the DR bc I always forget you aren't supposed to! Sorry to the many peoplewho I have ruined the plumbing!

I could not live somewhere with a no throw toilet paper toilet!!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
In my cousin's building, in Santo Domingo, you can throw the paper in the toilet and it won't clog it. I'm wondering if it's also the norm in newer buildings.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hehehehehe......

Seems we have an adept of 1 up, 1 down, 1 shine !!!:):)

I DO like to wrap 15 sheets of my european charmin ( the one sold here is not up to my standards.....), around my hand......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just curious but how much is the cost to upgrade that kinda thing?

depends on what you have already. you may have to change all the plumbing in and out and put a new septic tank. so it may include breaking floors and major digging.