Social Distancing: Failures, Successes, and a Paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
The three measures I hear are for 1, 1.5, and 2 meters. By definition, two meters is the safest!

Here is a contradiction that we all would do well to heed. Perhaps you’ve experienced, as I have, or seen on national media, as I have, the following situation which applies to banks and to chain markets such as La Sirena and Supermercado Nacional.

Inside these venues, company policy takes great pains to maintain social distancing by various methods, including an employee designated to monitor clients or the use of duct tape on the floor to demarcate appropriate distance.

But on the outside, where people are in queue, you see all manner of folk scrunched together, not practicing social distancing, obviating the salutary benefit of the same policy practiced within!

What to do? Here is a solution which I will begin to apply. In queue, I will ask the person behind me and in front of me to move by two meters. This may cause some consternation in the line as this will force others in the front of the line and in the back of the line to move as well. But what is the alternative?

Another option would be to speak discreetly to the guard in front of the line and ask politely why social distancing is not being practiced. That might get the ball rolling.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well i was kind of amazed that people were 1. Actually queuing, 2. That they kept a distance of some sort. 3. The amount of masked, gloved and eye protected people.

So, sure mine is a campo, and we are--- thankfully ;)---- social distanced at the best of times.

I also noticed at the bank and the agrovet thingy that they are even crazier than me with the disinfecting spray on the door handles and countertops..... i swear in the 15 mn i was there they cleaned them 3 times......
As opposed to the colmado i go to where no fukcs are giving...... no masks, no disinfecting, no social distancing, 3tc........ oh well we can't win them all ;).

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I have a concern about the concept of social distancing and one reason it might not work as well as we hope.

I will explain what I mean using myself as an example.

I'm a U.S. citizen living full time in the Dominican Republic. I have some health issues.

I have not left my condo for more than a month. So, I should not be worried about being exposed to the Corona virus. Right?

Here's the catch. I have a full-time live in nurse. She is very diligent in washing her hands and taking other precautions to protect me. But she also has a a sister that lives nearby whom she visits every day. In addition, she also visits an elderly woman nearby every other day to check her bloody pressure and monitor her health. She also takes deliveries from the local market and pharmacy.

Also, I have a young woman who lives with me who has a five month old baby. She's a psychologist and is still required to go to the office to see at-risk mental health patients. Her mother (Abuela) comes to my home to care for the baby every weekday. The grandmother lives with the grandfather in the same condo complex. The grandfather works at the complex and brings 5 gallon bottles of water to my condo and 14 other condos.

I have not been in a large group of people, and there are only three people in my immediate circle--my nurse, the young working mother and me (and the baby). However, my potential circle of exposure is much larger because of the interactions between my immediate contacts and their contacts and their contacts' contacts and so on!

Perhaps, in addition to physical social distancing, we need to think about keeping our circle of contacts as small as possible!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have a concern about the concept of social distancing and one reason it might not work as well as we hope.

I will explain what I mean using myself as an example.

I'm a U.S. citizen living full time in the Dominican Republic. I have some health issues.

I have not left my condo for more than a month. So, I should not be worried about being exposed to the Corona virus. Right?

Here's the catch. I have a full-time live in nurse. She is very diligent in washing her hands and taking other precautions to protect me. But she also has a a sister that lives nearby whom she visits every day. In addition, she also visits an elderly woman nearby every other day to check her bloody pressure and monitor her health. She also takes deliveries from the local market and pharmacy.

Also, I have a young woman who lives with me who has a five month old baby. She's a psychologist and is still required to go to the office to see at-risk mental health patients. Her mother (Abuela) comes to my home to care for the baby every weekday. The grandmother lives with the grandfather in the same condo complex. The grandfather works at the complex and brings 5 gallon bottles of water to my condo and 14 other condos.

I have not been in a large group of people, and there are only three people in my immediate circle--my nurse, the young working mother and me (and the baby). However, my potential circle of exposure is much larger because of the interactions between my immediate contacts and their contacts and their contacts' contacts and so on!

Perhaps, in addition to physical social distancing, we need to think about keeping our circle of contacts as small as possible!

Sounds like you are in a awkward
situation which is only as good
as your weakest link. Good luck.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
New information available. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.