Sol Bonito language school

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Hello,
I would like to know about the following language school that has children on-site all day in Sol Bonito outside of Cabarete. It is allegedly situated in a zoned residential area.

How can i find out if it is operating legally or otherwise?
Or, if it is registered with the appropriate education agency?
Or, if the employees are employed in accordance with Dominican Law?

The construction of the school is very poor

I would like to ensure that the appropriate Dominican agencies know of its presense

Please advise

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hello,
I would like to know about the following language school that has children on-site all day in Sol Bonito outside of Cabarete. It is allegedly situated in a zoned residential area.

I would like to ensure that the appropriate Dominican agencies know of its presense

Please advise
Why?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Hello,

What negative impact is this school having on your life?

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
Think deeply about why my concerns could be viewed as legitimate? I will not provide you the answers at this time. My concerns are not just my own, there are many that are preparing to complain.
So i ask you again, think about why setting a school up in a zoned 'residential area' is wrong; determining if legal authourities know about it; and if the employees are working in accordance with Dominican law (keeping in mind the position that they supposedly hold i.e. a Teacher); not to mention building construction which is equivalent to your back yard tool shed
Think hard, would your country allow anyone to set up a school without any type of over-sight, or monitoring????

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Think deeply about why my concerns could be viewed as legitimate? I will not provide you the answers at this time. My concerns are not just my own, there are many that are preparing to complain.
So i ask you again, think about why setting a school up in a zoned 'residential area' is wrong; determining if legal authourities know about it; and if the employees are working in accordance with Dominican law (keeping in mind the position that they supposedly hold i.e. a Teacher); not to mention building construction which is equivalent to your back yard tool shed
Think hard, would your country allow anyone to set up a school without any type of over-sight, or monitoring????
All you need to do is contact or go to the local school district and voice your concerns. Your other option is city hall. I doubt there is much going on in the city that neither entity is unaware of. Juntas de Vecinos as well.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
With respect, Sir. Schools are most frequently in residential areas? Whether private or public, schools are very often found in neighborhoods where their families and students reside.

There are no laws regarding teachers in the DR. Anyone can be hired to teach, anyone. Most schools will require a degree in something, but it definitely does not have to be education. Publicly funded schools would be the exception and require education degree. However, this is not a requirement by any means for private schools.

And to be honest, a corrugated aluminum chicken coop is a step up from what has been available to many Dominican children in the past 2 years.

You could try speaking to someone in your local government, but that would require patience and persistence as I’m sure you know.

Reactions: chicagoan14

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With respect, Sir. Schools are most frequently in residential areas? Whether private or public, schools are very often found in neighborhoods where their families and students reside.

There are no laws regarding teachers in the DR. Anyone can be hired to teach, anyone. Most schools will require a degree in something, but it definitely does not have to be education. Publicly funded schools would be the exception and require education degree. However, this is not a requirement by any means for private schools.

And to be honest, a corrugated aluminum chicken coop is a step up from what has been available to many Dominican children in the past 2 years.

You could try speaking to someone in your local government, but that would require patience and persistence as I’m sure you know.
You are incorrect private schools require teachers with teaching degrees. We are required to submit the qualifications of our teachers to the school district. We do have some teachers in kinder and pre-primero that are still attending university for teaching. The district does permit that. We have a grade six teacher that has a degree in architecture but she has a one year course for teaching that the ministry has approved.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I haven't lived in "my country" for 17 years.
All of this sounds very Dominican to me.
I don't see a problem with it at all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How do you know there was/is none of that? It is a language school not a regular school; I am sure the rules may be different. What is the real reason you have a bee in your bonnet about this business- traffic, noise...etc?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here is a snap shot of the Dominican Republic I live in.
Not sure what Dominican Republic JollyRoger is living in.
Good luck with quest.
Enjoy the snap shot!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good luck with quest.
Enjoy the snap shot!
I'd move if I lived there.

As for schools, one is being built right now inside the confines of my residential development in Cabarete.

My step daughter was teaching English at a language school in Cabarete when she was 13. Requirements, you say?

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Good luck with quest.
Enjoy the snap shot!
At least it's not boring. LOL!

You should move to San Cristobal where I am.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At least it's not boring. LOL!

You should move to San Cristobal where I am.
Actually this incident took place in an area about 15 minutes drive up the road from where I live. Not exactly close to home. Perhaps not the best example however my point is this country along with the folks who run it have more important things to worry about than some school being built in a residential neighborhood.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Good luck with quest.
Enjoy the snap shot!
lmao, that was more fun than watching a rugby scrum

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
You are incorrect private schools require teachers with teaching degrees. We are required to submit the qualifications of our teachers to the school district. We do have some teachers in kinder and pre-primero that are still attending university for teaching. The district does permit that. We have a grade six teacher that has a degree in architecture but she has a one year course for teaching that the ministry has approved.
I don’t think I’m incorrect, I think some private schools find a way around this.

It is less common than before, but even the $10,000USD tuition schools will hire someone with an architecture degree and call it a day.

Standards could be different for “local” or Dominican hires vs foreign teachers due to the visa etc. But I know a Dominican who taught for a year in one of the more well known private schools about 3-4 years ago. Science degree but zero teaching credentials. They have since moved out of country.

Maybe if they’re only teaching for a year, the school doesn’t have to proceed as you’ve described? So the school and the “teacher” say yes, I’m doing the one year course and all boxes are checked and then the teacher leaves or is conveniently dismissed. Local hires are paid less.

There is a way around everything depending on who you know, and that person’s connections (and concern over ethics) in the DR.

Reactions: bob saunders

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
How do you know there was/is none of that? It is a language school not a regular school; I am sure the rules may be different. What is the real reason you have a bee in your bonnet about this business- traffic, noise...etc?
The name of “Language School” could be the window to avoid regulations.

As an adult, I took Spanish lessons at the Cabarete Language Institute in Pro- Cab from someone with no degree at all, but they were bilingual. I think they mostly taught adults but I’m not sure. I learned a lot.
I think it’s closed now.

Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The name of “Language School” could be the window to avoid regulations.

As an adult, I took Spanish lessons at the Cabarete Language Institute in Pro- Cab from someone with no degree at all, but they were bilingual. I think they mostly taught adults but I’m not sure. I learned a lot.
I think it’s closed now.
I was offered a job teaching ESL with just my TESOL certificate. I do have teaching experience and qualifications from the military but that is not the same as a teaching degree. I taught at the

Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Technology and Engineering which would be like teaching college students.​

Reactions: Auryn

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Welcome to the Dominican Republic! Please stop trying to make the island more like your former home. No one cares how things are done "back home".

Status
Not open for further replies.