Solar ovens: Does anyone have any experience with solar ovens?

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Given that many families can not afford to buy gas for cooking anymore, do you think solar ovens are an alternative?
Do you use them and who sells them in the DR?
Experiences?

Thank you for your input.

Alexander

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Given that many families can not afford to buy gas for cooking anymore, do you think solar ovens are an alternative?
Do you use them and who sells them in the DR?
Experiences?

Thank you for your input.

Alexander
Propane gas is typically cheaper a lot cheaper than all things solar. Cooking a simple meal with solar power can take several hours.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
In my hay days, many moons ago, I experimented with solar cooking here on the island. I used an old 1.8 meter satellite dish covered with reflective tape. It was quite the hassle to cook with this contraption. Don't get me wrong It was plenty hot but the heat was on a very localized spot. For boiling water or frying eggs it was great. For anything that required a longish cooking time it was not so good and the dish needed to be repositioned as the day progressed and the position of the sun changed. For cooking a typical dominican style lunch this is basically a no go.

Here is a review of some solar cookers.

If intended use is rural areas, 'el campo', a better solution might be a type of rocket stove. They work off twigs and fallen tree branches and can be made from a paint bucket a bit of rebar and concrete. These materials are abundant here and the local know how to work with them.

Maybe even a paint gallon can stove that also work from twigs.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Thanks to all posters for the input.

My summary:
Solar ovens are not suited to replace gas and charcoal for the poor in the D.R.

But they can save gas and money for simple daily tasks mainly for:
- making coffee or tea
- boil eggs

Topic is closed for me.

Alexander

Reactions: NotLurking