Solar panels to generate electricity

jollyroger

Nov 3, 2019
I have 20 panels and 24 batteries. Fans. Large frig. Freezer. 2 large air conditioners. Casita with small frig. Barbecue with small frig. washer. dryer. dishwasher. lights throughout my property all night long. Water pump.

Initially, I was only solar. Eventually, when Jamao because 24 hour luz, I connected to street power. Since batteries are so expensive, to give them a longer life, I now have a system whereby I am solar. When the batteries drop to 60%, street power kicks in. When they are at 100%, automatically, we revert to solar.

My pool pump is also solar, but on a separate system.

I love my system. It is seamless. And I never worry about when or if the electricity will run out. I never know when we are on street power or solar power unless, I go look. And I rarely do.
Hi
What does a solar pool pump set up cost to buy?
Brand names????

Many thanks

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
Will check today and let you know.
Hi
Brand names????

Many thanks

Hi
Brand names????

Many thanks
Pumps are around $1200usd for 500w good for medium-Big size pools.
(there is 900w as well and 1200w I think but these are all overkill not worth the extra $$$)

Use 3 panels and the pump will run full for 10 hours a day.
Never had a cleaner pool.. dont have to use a timer it just starts and stops with the sun.

Talk to DR solar on pedro clisante 2 blocks down from century 21

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
One of the main problems is battery charging and charging cycles. Every time you drain and charge is a cycle that reduces battery life. We try to keep that drain/charge to once a day. Full batteries for the night keeps us going all night until the solar kicks in in the morning. 1 cycle.
Saying that, todays solar was not so good buti we didn't need any AC and didn't run the pool. Batteries not fully charged so this is when we use the generator for load and charging, it needs a good run for maintenance also. I could go to grid just for the load but not charge or for both.
Generator needs the run.

Aug 21, 2007
My system needs new batteries. Currently have 24 Trojan Red. My solar guy is recommending lithium batteries. Any thoughts?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
My system needs new batteries. Currently have 24 Trojan Red. My solar guy is recommending lithium batteries. Any thoughts?
Changed ours out a few months ago. Only wet cells here. Importing was just way too expensive. We did switch from Trojan T 105s to...Dyno. A little less Amp hours but only needs about 47.6 volts fully charged vs 62 with the T105s. Equalizing charge not recommended. A lot less energy to charge and a LOT less watering and cleaning.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I heard there is a DR vendor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For a replacement of 24 Trojan T105 Red batteries with Lithium Ion batteries, I suspect 3 Tesla Power Walls would do it.

They seem to be about $7,500 USD each plus installation in the US. A guess is about $40K should do it in the DR?
Just a wild guess until you can find out. Depends upon import duty and shipping and markup and installation.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
As far as i know, and I've looked. Only wet cell batteries in the DR.
Given that information about 'wet' cell. Might think of golf cart batteries as opposed to auto type.
They can take a lot more cycling of charge/discharge. That and you shouldn't need the cranking amperage either.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Given that information about 'wet' cell. Might think of golf cart batteries as opposed to auto type.
They can take a lot more cycling of charge/discharge. That and you shouldn't need the cranking amperage either.
Trojan and Dyno's mentioned above are deep cycle golf cart style batteries. Car batteries won't last long for backup be it solar or grid use for charging.

Lithium Ion batteries are indeed a pricey option. Probably far more pricey in the DR than in the US.

Reactions: Sailor51

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I looked into the Tesla power wall and and I would need 3. Estimated shipping, taxes and parts with my installing came to around $20k+.
As I remember, they have built in inverter and maybe. (?) Solar controllers. But they do not have an automatic generator support system.
If I was starting new, I'd really consider it. But doing away with my 8Kw 120/240 V inverter system (integrated with controllers, grid and gerator) that handles everything and I can interact via phone and computer, is a little much to replace.

The Dyno batteries are about the same price as T105s.
The BIG difference is the charging with boiling NOT recommended. Fully charged at 57.6 V. That saves a heck of a lot of amps, time, watering and acid cleanup that the T105s needed.
Approx same size and weight.
Our car mechanic (15 years) got them for us so don't know where he got them.
Will share his name and number in private mail only.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I looked into the Tesla power wall and and I would need 3. Estimated shipping, taxes and parts with my installing came to around $20k+.
As I remember, they have built in inverter and maybe. (?) Solar controllers. But they do not have an automatic generator support system.
If I was starting new, I'd really consider it. But doing away with my 8Kw 120/240 V inverter system (integrated with controllers, grid and gerator) that handles everything and I can interact via phone and computer, is a little much to replace.

The Dyno batteries are about the same price as T105s.
The BIG difference is the charging with boiling NOT recommended. Fully charged at 57.6 V. That saves a heck of a lot of amps, time, watering and acid cleanup that the T105s needed.
Approx same size and weight.
Our car mechanic (15 years) got them for us so don't know where he got them.
Will share his name and number in private mail only.
What is "Charging with boiling" signify? I've never heard of that before.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I been following this thread and other on Solar system. I am not a expert on solar systems. But I consider myself an expert on deep cycle lead acid batteries from many years maintaining power plants for telephone central offices. Telephone central office equipment work on DC voltage (Batteries) all the time and the grid keeps the batteries at float voltage. When the grid power goes out the batteries discharge until the generators kick in. In big installations (multi floors of equipment) it may take time as the monster generators are started manually.

Basic principle of unsealed deep cycle lead acid batteries is: float voltage = 2.17volts per cell and equalize voltage is at 2.33 volts per cell.
Usually after a long discharge an equalize voltage is applied to "equalized"the specific gravity of each cell.

Sealed gel batteries are usually float voltage at 2.33 volts per cell and are used in smaller locations (microwave-cell towers) due to space restrictions. Gel batteries have shorter life time.

Using the basic principle of unsealed deep cycle lead acid batteries for the Tojan T105 battery on a 48 volt system.
1 T105 3 cell 6 volt battery X 8 batteries in series= 24 cells at 2.17 volts = 52.08 Float voltage and 55.92 equalize voltage.
Any higher voltage causes excess corrosion and evaporation on electrolyte.

Note: Here in the DR hot and humid weather places lead acid batteries at extreme conditions. Also the cable connectors should be of lead with a thin amount of non oxide grease to help prevent corrosion.

My 2 cents.......

Aug 21, 2007
Thank you. I took a screen shot of your information. Will give it to my maintenance guy and solar guy. I wonder if they know this.