Solar Panels

gicamuci

Apr 15, 2014
I didn't aquire all these as a whole system. I did start with a 2kW system which proved to be too little for my needs.
During the summer the bills will be under 1,000 pesos per month. The smallest bill I had was on a winter month, just a bit over 300 pesos (water heater and maybe a bit of A/C).
In the summer I'm running one 12,000 BTU A/C for a couple of hours before going to sleep, not all day.
In the summer, sometimes in the afternoon and if conditions are right (sunny) I will run a 14,000 BTU portable A/C straight from my system :)
I went down this road just because of the independence a system like this is giving me.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I didn't aquire all these as a whole system. I did start with a 2kW system which proved to be too little for my needs.
During the summer the bills will be under 1,000 pesos per month. The smallest bill I had was on a winter month, just a bit over 300 pesos (water heater and maybe a bit of A/C).
In the summer I'm running one 12,000 BTU A/C for a couple of hours before going to sleep, not all day.
In the summer, sometimes in the afternoon and if conditions are right (sunny) I will run a 14,000 BTU portable A/C straight from my system :)
I went down this road just because of the independence a system like this is giving me.

Thats awesome. My electric bill in santo domingo is ridiculous during the months of june-September. Thanks for all the great info.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Just quickly estimating in my head, thats about what 4k, 5k usd?
excellent and cheap!
and what are your electric bills looking like today?
especially during the summer months when you have to use the ac all day.
Nearer to US$6K.

Reactions: alexw

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just quickly estimating in my head, thats about what 4k, 5k usd?
excellent and cheap!
and what are your electric bills looking like today?
especially during the summer months when you have to use the ac all day.
A few observations. The cost was in the $6K range (350K DR pesos)
Some back up systems will be 110Volt back up systems. Some AC units can run on that , but some require 220V so consider those options as you design a system.

Running AC is possible these days if you have enough panels and capacity in the rest of the electronics.

I only have had AC for the past couple of years at first only in my bedroom at night and more recently in my music studio, but still not in the rest of my house.

Reactions: alexw

gicamuci

Apr 15, 2014
One month of August a few years ago when I was staying for two weeks (wasn't s resident at that time), no solar system and running two A/C units without any care about the bills (I was still working in Canada and just vacationing down here) I paid 4,000 pesos for those two weeks.