Some Cognac Questions

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

Recently, I no longer needed to take medications that prevented me from drinking alcohol for 30 years! Yay! To celebrate I ordered a pewter flask made in Sheffield, England.
I really like the Cognacs and would like to find a small bottle of Remy Martin XO. But that appears to be a "no go." La Sirena has a bottle of VSOP for RD$ 4,000 and Mercado Nacional for RD$ 5,000.

a. First question: My take is that there are no specialty liquor stores in this country. It's what you see: colmados, La Sirena, etc. So is there a best place in Sto. Dom. to buy liquors, specifically Cognacs?
b. How about shipping from the U.S. Is that doable? Any taxation even if less than $200.00.
c. And then there's the fear that I'm going to buy a fake bottle with real methyl alcohol (e.g. blind and dead).
d. I will fly to Berlin in August. Maybe I should buy something at the airport?

Thank you! Prost! Cheers!

Reactions: jinty05

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hello All,

Recently, I no longer needed to take medications that prevented me from drinking alcohol for 30 years! Yay! To celebrate I ordered a pewter flask made in Sheffield, England.
I really like the Cognacs and would like to find a small bottle of Remy Martin XO. But that appears to be a "no go." La Sirena has a bottle of VSOP for RD$ 4,000 and Mercado Nacional for RD$ 5,000.

a. First question: My take is that there are no specialty liquor stores in this country. It's what you see: colmados, La Sirena, etc. So is there a best place in Sto. Dom. to buy liquors, specifically Cognacs?
b. How about shipping from the U.S. Is that doable? Any taxation even if less than $200.00.
c. And then there's the fear that I'm going to buy a fake bottle with real methyl alcohol (e.g. blind and dead).
d. I will fly to Berlin in August. Maybe I should buy something at the airport?

Thank you! Prost! Cheers!
Homemade hooch is generally not found in the commercial centers like Sirena, etc it's a thing of colmados for the most part. If you don't drink the Rompe Creta, you will be ok is my guess. In Las Galeras i got a hold of some bad barcelo at a Haitian colmado, but i had had so much booze in my system it really had little effect. You don't strike me as that profile drinker.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Homemade hooch is generally not found in the commercial centers like Sirena, etc it's a thing of colmados for the most part. If you don't drink the Rompe Creta, you will be ok is my guess. In Las Galeras i got a hold of some bad barcelo at a Haitian colmado, but i had had so much booze in my system it really had little effect. You don't strike me as that profile drinker.
Good point: avoid colmados and "Mom and Pop" stores.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cognacs are under other < brandy. I do not recognize any of these brands and the low costs make me suspicious. This is a "no go" but thanks.
The Carenal Mendoza is a TOP brandy known throughout the universe. Therefore there must be a mis connection Mr. Lucas.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for! Thank you! As soon as I drain my flask, I'll be catching an Uber and report back about the selection of Cognacs for anyone else who might be interested . . .
There is a high end kind of roped off area where you will find the expensive Cognacs and other top flight products.........

Reactions: johne

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Really? Those are well known cognac brands. https://www.cognac-expert.com/cognac-brands
Thanks for that great link on brandies! If you are referring to the website almaceneshatuey.com that another member mentioned, no, these are NOT well-known brands: Brandy de Jerez, Brandy Fortier, Brandy Napoleon Le Cuvier. No wonder some of these bottles are < RD$ 500 each. Not a single recognized brand in the popular section of the site you recommended, such as Hine, is available at the former website, so this former website is a "no go."

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
There is a high end kind of roped off area where you will find the expensive Cognacs and other top flight products.........
Roped off? Cool, now you're talkin' my language. I remember 25+ years ago I would go to a Wally's Liquor on Westwood Blvd. in Westwood, CA. Their Cognacs were in a locked glass cabinet. Some bottles were $1,000 USD and that was a quarter century ago! Me? A small bottle of Remy Martin XO and I'm good to go.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I never referred to brandy and the hatuey site has cognacs starting at around 3500 pesos to 11000. Remy Martin, Hennessy , and Martell.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for that great link on brandies! If you are referring to the website almaceneshatuey.com that another member mentioned, no, these are NOT well-known brands: Brandy de Jerez, Brandy Fortier, Brandy Napoleon Le Cuvier. No wonder some of these bottles are < RD$ 500 each. Not a single recognized brand in the popular section of the site you recommended, such as Hine, is available at the former website, so this former website is a "no go."
Learn to navigate the website by typing in cognac, not brandy.

• Sad
Reactions: Tamborista

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I never referred to brandy and the hatuey site has cognacs starting at around 3500 pesos to 11000. Remy Martin, Hennessy , and Martell.
Sorry about the confusion. At the Hatuey site, congnacs were not in the drop-down menu but brandies were. Brandy and Cognac are the same thing. Anwyay, for the purpse of this thread, my question is answered. The place to go is LicorMart!

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Learn to navigate the website by typing in cognac, not brandy.
"Learn to navigate" the website? Please, you're out of line. I don't need your snark. When I use the drop-down menu under BEBIDAS and Cognacs do not exist, does that mean I'm an idiot? No, it means that the website doesn't pass muster and . . . good-bye. Give me a break!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Brandy is distilled fruit juice, and it can be any kind of fruit juice, while cognac is a specific type of distilled fruit juice with lots of qualifications. Cognac comes from the Cognac region of southwestern France, and is made with a fruit juice base of white grapes. There can be a big difference, and non Cognac region products are NOT Cognac, but Brandy.........

Reactions: Fulano2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Really, really sad...this forum board. He asks a question. Gets qualified info in minutes. He says take your info and shove it. I don't get it.