Some Cognac Questions

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Brandy is distilled fruit juice, and it can be any kind of fruit juice, while cognac is a specific type of distilled fruit juice with lots of qualifications. Cognac comes from the Cognac region of southwestern France, and is made with a fruit juice base of white grapes. There can be a big difference, and non Cognac region products are NOT Cognac, but Brandy.........
Thanks for the clarification. I'm aware of the difference between "cognacs" as a generic term (and a little misleading) and Cognac, as a geographical region in France. From the first sentence in Wikipedia under "Cognac": "Cognac is a variety of brandy . . . " So, without splitting hairs, a cognac is a brandy. MAYBE the reverse is not true.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the clarification. I'm aware of the difference between "cognacs" as a generic term (and a little misleading) and Cognac, as a geographical region in France. From the first sentence in Wikipedia under "Cognac": "Cognac is a variety of brandy . . . " So, without splitting hairs, a cognac is a brandy. MAYBE the reverse is not true.
The only thing you really need to know is that Cognac has to come from Cognac, France. The same as Champagne has to come from Champagne, France. So when you go to one of the AI's here and they tell you that you are getting Champagne they are almost always Full of It..................

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for that great link on brandies! If you are referring to the website almaceneshatuey.com that another member mentioned, no, these are NOT well-known brands: Brandy de Jerez, Brandy Fortier, Brandy Napoleon Le Cuvier. No wonder some of these bottles are < RD$ 500 each. Not a single recognized brand in the popular section of the site you recommended, such as Hine, is available at the former website, so this former website is a "no go."
on the front page of the website you type in cognac where it says busco productos and you get all the cognac. Very simple.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I went through a period in my life ( mid to late 20's ) where I was on a mission to sample just about every alcohol drink made. I was especially fond of Ouzo, sambuca , brandy sours...etc. My first wife was Italian and she loved that shit, as well as port and cognac. My body didn't like the mass consumption of all that crap so I quit.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Really, really sad...this forum board. He asks a question. Gets qualified info in minutes. He says take your info and shove it. I don't get it.
I do.
I get it.
That's the way I feel about most DR1 posters that respond to my posts.
They rarely provide any information and they are just trying to make a point or be critical.

I'm with @Lucas61 on this one
The Professor talks down to people.
Posts irrelevant information (the Bourbon thread)
Asks questions designed to make a point.
And we are not in law school so he does not have to use the socratic method just because he is an educator in his new life.
He put it a lot mildly than I would.

On the subject of Cognac I don't really @#$% with that juice.
But I would also recommend Licormart on Kennedy (best selection and the prices to go with that exclusive selection)
But for price (less selection) I recommend Ron Depot (both locations on 27 Febrero).

I stop at every liquor store I have time for all over the Dominican Republic.
So, I don't know many posting up here that have a greater breath of knowledge than I have on the general subject of sales of spirits in stores here.

One idea is to check out smaller liquor stores in more affluent areas like Piantini, Naco, Arroyo Hondo.
They often carry stock to please their local clientele and their tastes.
A place that is a really surprising is the Carrefour in Duarte Plaza.
They have a two long grocery store aisles they call "The Bodega" that rivals the selection of many free standing stores and they have excellent prices.

Nobody speaks
Nobody gets choked

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do.
I get it.
They rarely provide any information and they are just trying to make a point or be critical.

And we are not in law school so he does not have to use the socratic method just because he is an educator in his new life.

But I would also recommend Licormart on Kennedy (best selection and the prices to go with that exclusive selection)
But for price (less selection) I recommend Ron Depot (both locations on 27 Febrero).

So, I don't know many posting up here that have a greater breath of knowledge than I have on the general subject of sales of spirits in stores here.

One idea is to check out smaller liquor stores in more affluent areas like Piantini, Naco, Arroyo Hondo.
They have a two long grocery store aisles they call "The Bodega" that rivals the selection of many free standing stores and they have excellent prices.

Nobody speaks
Nobody gets choked

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do.
I get it.

Nobody speaks
Nobody gets choked
Lucus started telling people I steered him wrong and pointed him towards brandy. I did no such thing. i NEVER MENTIONED BRANDY.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
With all of the local libations, beautiful beaches and nalgas, you folks choose to have a pissing contest, pretty pretty sad, if I may say.
Do you live in 🇩🇴 ?
I only asked because I have rarely seen a post from you that adds any actual information about the Dominican Republic.
I have seen lots of color commentary that I sure you think is very witty (but I don't).
If you want actual information on spirts in the Dominican Republic check out the Bourbon thread

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Do you live in 🇩🇴 ?
I only asked because I have rarely seen a post from you that adds any actual information about the Dominican Republic.
I have seen lots of color commentary that I sure you think is very witty (but I don't).
If you want actual information on spirts in the Dominican Republic check out the Bourbon thread
Are you the rabble rouser layman creation of a certain embattled member? You must be because Eastside is a ghetto and no one really cares about your profound knowledge of where to buy booze. No one is waiting on you mafriend. But i wish you a good evening for you and yours!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Are you the rabble rouser layman creation of a certain embattled member? You must be because Eastside is a ghetto and no one really cares about your profound knowledge of where to buy booze. No one is waiting on you mafriend. But i wish you a good evening for you and yours!
The next time you wish to take a :poop: use a 🚽 please, if just for sanitation purposes. 🧻 is optional

I owe an apology to @Tamborista
My post was in bad taste.
Not only do I sometime enjoy your sense of humor
I understand the point of your post now (@El Hijo de Manolo comes to mind)

Now can you help Hijo out?
He seems to be having a bad night,.

The subject is Cognac.
I posted information that I thought the original person might be interested in.
If he is then the "no one really cares..." part of your above post will be inaccurate.
Do you have anything to add on the subject of Cognac?
Cause I got nothing more for the OP.

I am having a great evening.
I just poured up a glass of Don Miguel Legado Special Blend.
I got it from Licormart.
One of the places several others have recommended for Cognac.

Nobody speaks
Nobody gets choked