Some Cognac Questions

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This reminds me of the AI's here that offer a glass of "Champagne" to the suckers checking in. In reality it is from a $9 bottle of sparkling wine from who knows where...............And the people are thrilled.............

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
But if the AI's got a good deal from duty free 🤪
And the guests that are checking in enjoying their welcoming drink...
Why not?

Pass the Couvoisier

Don't hate player
Hate the game

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
OP: Update on LicorMart. Yesterday my wife and I took an Uber to LicorMart with high hopes. Although I am happy with my purchase, it was a big disappointment. Only two bottles of brandy from Cognac, France in the entire store! Are you kidding me? One bottle of Hennessey and one bottle of Remy Martin V.S.O.P. and that's all! No XO. One can find the same at Supermercado Nacional and almost the same at La Sirena, one block from my house. So I do NOT recommend this venue for buying brandies from Cognac if you are looking for selection. The prices, however, were good. The Remy Marin was RD$3600 compared to 4000 at La Sirena and 5000 at Supermercado Nacional. I purchased the Hennessey for 4100, just 100 more than I would have paid for the Remy Martin at La Sirena . . .

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
@Lucas61
You have hit upon a common problem with spirits that are unpopular here in the Dominican Republic.
You simply are not going to find a good selection nor prices.
I have found this to be true for Bourbon and Tequila.
But if you want Scotch, Vodka, Gin, Rum you have an excellent section at all price points.
I am uncertain why (in general) Dominicans have such limited preferences.
But I suspect it has to do more with prestige (they want people to see WHAT they are drinking) and less with the juice in the bottle (taste is secondary).

Respectfully,
Gringo Negro reppin EASTSIDE!!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
@Lucas61
You have hit upon a common problem with spirits that are unpopular here in the Dominican Republic.
You simply are not going to find a good selection nor prices.
I have found this to be true for Bourbon and Tequila.
But if you want Scotch, Vodka, Gin, Rum you have an excellent section at all price points.
I am uncertain why (in general) Dominicans have such limited preferences.
But I suspect it has to do more with prestige (they want people to see WHAT they are drinking) and less with the juice in the bottle (taste is secondary).

Respectfully,
Gringo Negro reppin EASTSIDE!!
Hmm. Interesting. Given that the D.R. is one of the world centers for cigar production, and given that a Cognac is frequently taken with a cigar, and given venues like Club Arturo Fuente, it's a surprise that the selection is not greater. In fact, a selection of two can't be worse because if it were one, it wouldn't be a selection.
Just for fun, next time I go to Club Arturo Fuente, I think I'll check their "selection."

Eastside is cool. I once lived on Calle Tercera, an apartment of three bedrooms for RD5,000/month. The only problems were insects and electricity. The electricity would often be off for the entire day. When it came on, everyone in the neighborhood cheered and clapped.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hmm. Interesting. Given that the D.R. is one of the world centers for cigar production, and given that a Cognac is frequently taken with a cigar, and given venues like Club Arturo Fuente, it's a surprise that the selection is not greater. In fact, a selection of two can't be worse because if it were one, it wouldn't be a selection.
Just for fun, next time I go to Club Arturo Fuente, I think I'll check their "selection."

Eastside is cool. I once lived on Calle Tercera, an apartment of three bedrooms for RD5,000/month. The only problems were insects and electricity. The electricity would often be off for the entire day. When it came on, everyone in the neighborhood cheered and clapped.

Lucas, please let us know what you find at Club Arturo Fuente.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

I lived on EASTSIDE!! the entire time I have lived in the Dominican Republic. After seven months of living here I installed my first inverter and two batteries and I upgraded my system throughout the years I have been living here. Sad stated of affairs that they can't even keep the lights on in the country but there is currently a celebration going on for Sosua beach development. Priorities out of wack if you ask me.

One of the things you need to remember about the Dominican Republic is that most cigars manufactured here are for export. In fact some of the best ones are only made for export and are not even available here. It just comes down of volume and demand when it comes to what the distributors stock. Cognac is not high on the list. Neither is Bourbon. The Dominican Republic is close to the Bourbon production country. Bourbon costs a lot less than Scotch and yet the prices and selection for Bourbon here in the Dominican Republic is poor. And that is an understatement. I look forward to the your report about Club Arturo Fuente.

Have you checked out duty free @SKY is a big fan of duty free. He says everything is cheaper there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Duty free stores sell products without adding local import taxes. For example, if you buy a bottle of Cognac from the duty free store at the airport in Berlin, you don’t end up paying the taxes that Germany normally puts on imports from France. You also avoid paying local sales taxes that you’d pay outside the airport, which are often based on the price of the product and can get pricey when you’re buying an expensive spirit.

“The higher the price of the brand in foreign countries, the higher their local taxation, so the greater the value to buy in duty free,” Chao says. “That’s why high end spirits such as aged Cognacs and whiskies are the best deals to look for in duty free.”

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In la sirena santiago

Attachments

• 20220625_143347.jpg
    20220625_143347.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220625_143407.jpg
    20220625_143407.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74