Some Dominicans love to bite the hand that feeds them

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There is not one single Dominican I know that understands the word 'barrio' just as sector, even though that's the correct Spanish meaning. In Dominican Republic barrio has the meaning of a not so good neighborhood.

Then what do the Dominicans you know call the good neighborhoods? Because the Dominicans I
know do understand the difference between living in a good barrio and living en "un barrio caliente".

The majority of Dominicans do live in barrios whether good or bad.

Apr 7, 2014
Real negotiations may be difficult at times, but the one that always frustrates me is that no one ever wants to give an estimate.
If a car has a problem and you bring it to a mechanic. The mechanic says it seems like "such n such" is the problem. I then ask, how much do you think that will cost. The answer: I do not know until I do the work. Well, that is the wrong answer. I need an estimate before I say go ahead and do the work. And if they start the work and find other problems, then I need to be called for approval before doing the additional work. But they seem to want to do the work - and then just surprise you with a bill at the end.
I have had people do this many times on different projects, not just for car repairs. They seem so reluctant to give estimates. One time, I actually asked: Do you understand what an estimate is??? I need to know if this is going to cost me approximately 3000 pesos or 10,000 pesos before I can tell you to do the work - and an estimate is an estimate, if you tell me 4000 pesos and it comes out to be 4500 pesos, then that is close to the estimate and acceptable.
It seems that they are wary of telling someone a estimated price in case they underestimate.

yea sirree bob, because in the US, for example, time is money and using your example there a guidelines for what time is needed to do a repair but then in there is also reality which can hinder the terminus of the job. For example, I bought the last generation Lincoln Continental made by Ford. I bought it used, with certain problems, namely the power steering pump has a massive leak. Here is where estimates will ruin you. Had I bought the Town Car which has the same 4.6L V8 engine the repair would be a simple 2-3 hour job, but because the Continental is a front wheel drive car the motor is installed sideways this thing is estimated to be a 4-5 hour job. If a guy spit balls you the lower number to be fair he will be losing money when the job roughly will take twice the amount of time because he hadnt considered the different layout in the engine area. These guys are scared to give firm estimates because then they are playing fast and loose with their income if the job is a bit more complicated or take much longer or needs more detail. I think this is fair

Apart from this is just the guys who want to do a job with an open ticket and expect you to pay whatever when its done. These guys may be crooks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Maybe it's that I don't live in the coast (ie gringo) areas.. or maybe that I don't have a car (which would probably entail massive estimates and repairs...)
but, I have not had such problems ONCE I figured out that the landlady is simply not going to make the repairs, end of story, finished.

I got the name of the plumber from the neighbor, he comes over to look at the job, gives me the estimate on the hot water heater repairs, I give him the money for the part, he fixes it. Under an hour. Under $50 or so. OK once I had to replace the entire heater and I talked to the NEW landlady but she pointed out that the heater was new..

(maybe the guys in the car business know that your car is essential whereas the hot water heater is optional?)

and the neighbor confirmed that once she went through three heaters. so that is just luck

and I did think my former land lady was just scamming by saying she wanted to sell in order to get more rent but she did sell the place pretty quickly once I moved out.

The phone company has come to my house within a day to climb all over the roof etc to fix the phone. The gas company, ditto. The plumber, ditto. All great service.

Just wanted to pipe in with a contrary opinon.

Maybe you folks were just talking about leaving apartments or houses empty or vacant but I did not want it to turn into another bash the Dominicans thread without saying how pleased I have been with being treated fair and square.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Mountainannie,

I think originally we were griping about 1 Dominican landlord in particular. Then it expanded to include his family, but in no way am I attempting to paint everyone Dominican with the same brush. Just as with us foreigners, there are good ones and some not so good ones.

Boy oh boy can individuals from both cultures pull of some real boneheaded moves...