Someone stole my propane tank...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am of the mind, that if someone really wants to rob you.. they will find a way.

So I try to be active in watching what is going on around my property. Security camera with monitor in my office and a few motion detectors. Dogs that bark (a lot). NO ONE, especially the police and the people that work for my neighbors, come past the gate and I do not open it unless I know the person. I make it a point to go out and look at anyone hanging around in the eye and take photos, annoying some that don't return. I have the glass shards on most of the wall and plants with nasty stickers in certain areas. Everything outside is put away or locked down. I keep several security lights on at night and the front gate is opened/closed with the hand held button, not having to get out of the car at night or having to approch the gate to open, leaving a distance from a person that I do not know. Live in caretaker (that can sleep thru anything) Door bolts that require a key to lock/unlock, not only on the entry doors but some of the inside ones too. Bedrooms and office on the second floor, a locked iron gate on the stairs at night. (We do have an emergency escape plan if needed.) I do not have bars on my windows, I don't like to have that live in prison feeling, but have thick safety type glass (and double glass at some windows/doors) that is difficult to break and takes a lot of time and more noise to get thru.

I can not stop the determined thief, I do let them know that I am watching, slow them down, make them make noise and provide more time for me to hit the alarms, house and car.....and get my gun. (That I have let everyone know I have.) And yes, our main house construction materials have been stolen while we lived in an apt. in front of the property. .. was three of the neighbors live in people that learned our habits and how to get over the wall.

Good luck, Ringo

Great life in "Paradise" isn't it.
I admire you. No way I could do it.

Many years ago, a person I know from Costa Rica told me he lived that way. In some islands you can't even go out after 19:00 hrs. It's slowly getting the same here. When it happens, BACK TO CANADA I GO.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I agree!

ITS NOT A TRAP, it is pulsed high voltage, designed to shock and deter passage not to kill, you ever get a spark plug coil shock will you toch it again on PURPOSE, No of course not.

I do suppose if one managed to get tangled up that it would stop the heart but what were they doing crossing over an eight foot high block wall topped with barbed wire??????????????????

I do not know what the ramifications if it could happen but, my wife and my two boys saftey are worth the risk!

I would use that method in a NY minute, but I would be afraid to use it in NY. I plan to use all the methods I have learned on this board to secure my DR home.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Luperon. I don't use an electric fence for the reasons you bring up... plus something else to maintain and pay on the electric bill.

GOOD security camera with night vision, zoom, pan are very expensive. The cd is in the house... house gets robbed... they take equipment with cd. I look at a/some cameras are in view of people.. as a deterrent.... even if it is a dummy camera, they don't know that. As for photos, if they have a car/moto, I will take a photo of the license plate... I let them see me do it. I download and send to my daughter in the states for storage on her computer.

Hope this helps. Not perfect, but have not found anything that is. Ringo

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I have the impression that some of you guys are overdoing it. Don't you realize the expense in money and time, plus the emotional drain, being in constant alert for thieves? It reminds me of the old Dominican proverb that states, m?s cara sale la sal que el chivo

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Mirador. Some of the things that I do here in the D.R. are the same that I did in the States.

A dummy camera is cheap. Digital camera or cell phone camera, most people have. Basic security camera with cable is about $80. US. hooks into a TV that most people have. Dogs came to me free... (so I pay for food.) I live on the ocean.. my windows provide some protection from robbers as well as storms and keeps a AC in the house.

Since I started the... go out and watch/take photos... I have met some good people that will "ham it up". I also have a lot less people just hanging around.. don't want thier picture taken.... Including police.

As for time, ya, a lot in the beginning, but now I can enjoy more time with less stress. Still alert but word has gotten around that I watch and take "free" photos. lol

Ringo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chip00

I agree with both the broken glass embedded in cement and the use of razor wire, easily available.

I used to chain my tanks to the wall, anymovement made one heck of a racket.

Now I rely on Yoshi and Hulk...plus a lot of light in the patio..

HB

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Luperon. I don't use an electric fence for the reasons you bring up... plus something else to maintain and pay on the electric bill.

GOOD security camera with night vision, zoom, pan are very expensive. The cd is in the house... house gets robbed... they take equipment with cd. I look at a/some cameras are in view of people.. as a deterrent.... even if it is a dummy camera, they don't know that. As for photos, if they have a car/moto, I will take a photo of the license plate... I let them see me do it. I download and send to my daughter in the states for storage on her computer.

Hope this helps. Not perfect, but have not found anything that is. Ringo

There is maintenance, every once in while I have remove a cooked largata or a culebra other than that is to keep it free of vegetation, only thing that grows that high beside trees, but trees need to be trimmed back anyway, the other are vines and a shot of round up once every eight to ten weeks keeps them under control. Stuff ya gotta do anyway to keep up the yard, well except the cooked critters.

Electric use is minimal, you could power one with a solar cell and a deep cycle battery for night use, they are available all set up, about US$150.00.

I have not noticed any increase with the electric bill, main perimeter unit is volt amps @ 9,700 volts, and my garden unit is 1 volt amps @ 2,900 volts, it keeps the dogs from getting in and digging up my tomatillos, banana peppers
& jalape?os.

No nothing is perfect, but hey I guarantee the word around the neighborhood is its electrified, go for something else easier, unfortunately my neighbor just got hit for the third time, I just learned about it and we are the only two houses surrounded by bosque at the edge of the city and two barrios.

But then again, he who works in your house will tell (sell) others whats in it.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Put this on your wall:

200pxnatodrahtcx0.jpg

m'frog

Yes, m'frog, that's "concertina wire" ( I think) and is used by the military very effectively.
Also, I have noticed that many property owners here are beginning to install this wire around their property.
Luis, you might consider this wire in place of the spikes@8" on center, instead.

Texas Bill

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
donluis99.

I think that we both look at how we deture robbers is similar, just executed differently. I give anyone that is watching/looking at my place some little clues, something for them to think about... And YES, they will talk to other people in the area to learn about you and your security. They don't know that not all the cameras are real, the red alarm box on the outside of the house may not be real. With my reputation for watching and taking photos... am I doing it now? Getting over a wall and past the dogs is easy as is cutting bars on windows.... I give them just a little more to.... think about?

Oh.. btw.. send me your cooked critters. My dogs are hungry. lol

Ringo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, m'frog, that's "concertina wire" ( I think) and is used by the military very effectively.
Also, I have noticed that many property owners here are beginning to install this wire around their property.
Luis, you might consider this wire in place of the spikes@8" on center, instead.

Texas Bill

Yes, I'm starting to see it, too. Place near me recently put it on top of a 6' high concrete block wall. Looks a lot more scary than spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

batich

Mr. Batard--you REALLY have a problem! Why don't you re-read several comments made about your personality earliar this week and get a life and stop the US bashing whether it be implied or direct.

Have a rotten day.

JOHN

Only when you will be able and allowed to have sex at will whenever you want it with a choice of 50 beautiful willing young girls - we will talk like equals.

Until then please insert your tongue you know where and keep jerking-off successfully my friend.

Good luck.

;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have the impression that some of you guys are overdoing it. Don't you realize the expense in money and time, plus the emotional drain, being in constant alert for thieves? It reminds me of the old Dominican proverb that states, m?s cara sale la sal que el chivo
What's that old saying?

"People have nothing to fear but fear itself."

I forgot who originally said that quote, could had been Churchill, but I'm not sure.

One thing I'm sure is that taking consel of one's fears is a quick way to paranoia and paranoia is only one step short of losing one's mind!

But to each his own... I guess.

-NALs :ermm:

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
HAHA wow thats some funny stuff put it in a cage that how my grandmas house is or chain it down like someone else said. And one more thing....were you home?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chipp00

Sorry to hear that primo, but you have experienced something that many have gone through in the DR. My question to you is what is your opinion of the area were you live in? Has it changed any?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, I'm starting to see it, too. Place near me recently put it on top of a 6' high concrete block wall. Looks a lot more scary than spikes.

Wouldn't wire cutters solve that problem or am I missing something. The thieves are carrying small hydraulic jacks I guess they will have to add cutters to their toolkit.
I will go with alarm solution any day. Isn't depressing to have to come home to a barbed wired house every day?

C

Chip00

Chipp00

Sorry to hear that primo, but you have experienced something that many have gone through in the DR. My question to you is what is your opinion of the area were you live in? Has it changed any?

No my opinion hasn't changed because from the beginning my family here has told me not to leave anyhting outside. Also our house was relativley new so los tigueres didn't have it in the radar.

Lesson learned - I'll be ready next time I hope.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
That's lame. Not as bad as what got stolen from the apartment I was staying at. Thy took the water pump, mind you they removed it and didn't brake anything - how kind of them. Anyhow, no water pump for semana santa meaning no showers for the weekend- bastards!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Alive and Well

I stopped by Chip's house this morning. Before going I called and asked if he was enjoying his cold breaksfast (No way to cook something hot)! ;)

When I got there, he was alive and well, no worse for the ordeal, except being sleepy form being up for 3 hours in the night checking out every little noise in the darkness.

I fixed up an emergency survial kit for him.

It consisted of the following:

(1) A filled Emergency Liquid Gas Container (Butane cigarette lighter)

(2) Box of Emergency Fire Sticks (Matches).

(3) Fire Sustaining Material (Firewood/Twigs).

So now he is all set to rough it out until he gets his new propane tank.

Don SantiagoDR