Sonia Pierre in Houston

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
From a mailing list I subscribe to:

The United Nations Associations of Houston is hosting Sonia Pierre,founder of the Movement for Dominican Women of Haitian Descent, as well as the recipient of the 2006 Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award.

Saturday, August 14, 11 a.m.

Cafe Piquet
(Lunch on your own)

5757 Bissonnet

Ms. Pierre became an activist at the age of 13 when she was arrested for being the spokesperson of a group of Haitian sugar-cane cutters in her migrant labor village who were protesting for better wages and living conditions. She was awarded the The 2010 U.S. State Department International Woman of Courage and was the recipient of the 2006 Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award as a result of her tireless work advocating for the rights of Haitians living in the Dominican Republic.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I don't know. From what I read of her bio, she was born in the DR to Haitian parents, and identifies as Dominican of Haitian descent.

I found this quote of hers here:

...During that same period Radham?s Batista, the Director of the Consejo Nacional de Frontera (CNF) questioned my nationality and informed the press that I was not entitled to Dominican nationality as my documents were false. After this Dr. Roberto Rosario, Chief Judge at the C?mara Administrativa de la Junta Central Electoral, asked the the Consejo Nacional de Frontera for documentation of the invalidity of the birth certificate of Sonia Pierre at the request of Louis Ventura, political representative of the Fuerza Nacional Progresista (FNP). This request was based on the fact that the parents of Sonia Pierre were illegal at the time of her birth and moreover her parents had false identity documents. All this was accompanied by words and images in which I was denounced to Dominicans and denigrated before the country.

I believe that this would indicate she currently holds a Dominican passport/citizenship.

I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say.