Sosúa Beach Renovations

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Give a full report, I like different prospectives.
It will also be interesting to compare it to the pre-pandemic Jet Blue "heydays" and all of the YouTube videos that were posted of that time. It sounds like it was even wilder then than when I was there.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Are you there now? I'm just repeating what some friends of mine have told me who are there and are comparing it to what it used to be. I took a drive today down Dr. Rosen and PC just to see and it's definitely not like it used to be in the afternoons anyway. I haven't been to Sosua at night in a long time.
Super busy in town tonight.
Give a full report, I like different prospectives.
Just returned home tonight and Bar central was full and City lights was mostly full. Drinking tonight so what do I know.

Reactions: cavok and Big

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps Ahnvee missed the demographics of the typical Sosua visitor.

How many higher end hotels does Sosua have..... who might want to use the new beach ?

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Danny's video update showing the vendors closed yeat again to protest the beach construction yet again at the one new plaza (so far), the protest march, etc:
It accomplished nothing other than they made zero money that day.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Sosua beach looks arravalizada, watch in this video coming from Los Charamicos it is a lot worse than in the Batey side, the walking path and the beach it self needs urgent attention.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Looking at the video, I can't believe that after all this time, that is ALL the construction that has been done! Plus, there were architectural plan drawing posted here in this forum and the plaza site in the plan looked MUCH bigger than what I see in the video(?).

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Looking at the video, I can't believe that after all this time, that is ALL the construction that has been done! Plus, there were architectural plan drawing posted here in this forum and the plaza site in the plan looked MUCH bigger than what I see in the video(?).
Maybe some of the money is disappearing? How much did the government say they were injecting?

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe some of the money is disappearing? How much did the government say they were injecting?
I sure don't see how anywhere near $RD600 million could be spent on that tiny looking site I see in the video(?).

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sosua beach looks arravalizada, watch in this video coming from Los Charamicos it is a lot worse than in the Batey side, the walking path and the beach it self needs urgent attention.

JJ
The place has looked run down and decrepit for years. Some people like it that way.

Time will tell what happens after the shacks are all gone., the plaza(s) are built and the 300 parking spots are available.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Collado (aka Mr. Selfie) has a decent track record of following thru and getting things done so I wouldn't bet against him just yet.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Collado (aka Mr. Selfie) has a decent track record of following thru and getting things done so I wouldn't bet against him just yet.
Oh, I'm not betting against him, and I sure hope they do what they said, I'm just trying to square that with what my lying eyes see in the video.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Oh, I'm not betting against him, and I sure hope they do what they said, I'm just trying to square that with what my lying eyes see in the video.
They might be dragging their feet on purpose so to bleed out the die hard vendors. They (local gov) could also be looking at different ways to steal the money while moving at a snail's pace.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
That video only shows a small parcel of the actual land being re worked for that part of the project

This was his update 3 months ago

If this it the entire project then less they are only looking at a very small number of shacks that would be affected which leads one to believe there is more to it if they are going to remove all of the shacks. But the reality also is that there are more shacks there then are needed to service the customers that utilize the beach. All you really need is a few places and some waitstaff to bring it to you. Or perhaps a few mobile coolers working there way up and down the beach.

And seriously your surprised at how slow the progress is.
Remember this is the DR where nothing gets done quickly

Whatever eventually happens with this project will likely take years to complete if ever.

Just look up to the road behind this project. How long did that sidewalk from Charamicos to Sosua take. That little project was a multi year endeavor.

Nobody other than the government knows what is really going to happen hear.
But you can pretty much be assured that what the beach vendors think will happen and where it actually ends up will be 2 very different things

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That video only shows a small parcel of the actual land being re worked for that part of the project

This was his update 3 months ago

If this it the entire project then less they are only looking at a very small number of shacks that would be affected which leads one to believe there is more to it if they are going to remove all of the shacks. But the reality also is that there are more shacks there then are needed to service the customers that utilize the beach. All you really need is a few places and some waitstaff to bring it to you. Or perhaps a few mobile coolers working there way up and down the beach.

And seriously your surprised at how slow the progress is.
Remember this is the DR where nothing gets done quickly

Whatever eventually happens with this project will likely take years to complete if ever.

Just look up to the road behind this project. How long did that sidewalk from Charamicos to Sosua take. That little project was a multi year endeavor.

Nobody other than the government knows what is really going to happen hear.
But you can pretty much be assured that what the beach vendors think will happen and where it actually ends up will be 2 very different things
The site does look bigger in the video you posted but in the new one all I see that has been done is that they have pushed some dirt around. Other than the equipment operators, I only saw four workers - on a $RD600 million project. I've seen more workers than that building a house.

I live here and have been for a long time. I well know how long things can take. It took Sosua over a year just to build that simple sign marquee with the letters "SOSUA".

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
The site does look bigger in the video you posted but in the new one all I see that has been done is that they have pushed some dirt around. Other than the equipment operators, I only saw four workers - on a $RD600 million project. I've seen more workers than that building a house.

I live here and have been for a long time. I well know how long things can take. It took Sosua over a year just to build that simple sign marquee with the letters "SOSUA".
600 million RD is just propaganda and makes it all look good
What actually gets spent in the actual construction of the Plaza or Plaza's will be a fraction of that

They announced a 400 million RD project to do essentially the same thing.
That announcement came in 2013

I am looking forward to the thread in 2033 that announces the new beach project. With inflation that project should be well over 1 billion RD

Maybe they will include a hospital with that project. :)