Sosúa Beach "Renovation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Anybody have any idea what this so-called "plaza" for the vendors is proposed to look like after they bulldoze all the charming "shacks" that exist on the beach now? I'm imagining something completely sterile, absent of the trees and the charm. I haven't seen any artist's depiction.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anybody have any idea what this so-called "plaza" for the vendors is proposed to look like after they bulldoze all the charming "shacks" that exist on the beach now? I'm imagining something completely sterile, absent of the trees and the charm. I haven't seen any artist's depiction.
Breaking news has it a 3 plazas in the other thread on this. So three sterilized places seems like a possibility with a safe place for everyone and everyone in their safe place. They will all be happy forever and after.

Here is a new, yet non-specific generic article. Did Abinader show up in Sosua?

Reactions: David B

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Abinader leaves Sosúa beach renovation work started​

The work involves the complete readjustment of the sales modules of the merchants who provide service on the beach​

Edgar Lantigua
Puerto Plata, RD

In the first of a dozen activities headed this Saturday in Puerto Plata, President Luis Abinader, together with Minister David Collado, began the renovation work on Sosúa beach with an investment of 615 million pesos.
The work involves the readjustment of the sales modules of the merchants who provide service on the beach, the construction of a modern parking area and its beautification.
The president stressed that the initiative is a transcendental step for the relaunch of the important tourist destination, which he defined as "the first truly tourist town in the country", indicating that he seeks to recover its development as a healthy, family tourist destination where visitors can walk its streets with complete freedom and integrating all sectors.
Collado, highlighting the development of the work, said that it seeks "the integral development of tourism in Sosúa, with a set of initiatives that go beyond the intervention of the beach and that includes a protection program for the children and adolescents, in conjunction with UNICEF, the governor's office, the mayor's office, the senatorial office and community entities.
He also stressed that for 50 years slums and disorder have reigned on the beach but that with the start of the project a new stage begins.
The Minister of Tourism praised the transparency of the bidding process with the participation of five universities, the Catholic and Evangelical churches, while reiterating that they do not seek to do business but to provide solutions to the problems of the communities and promote their development and indicated that in In the case of the historic center of Puerto Plata, the government initiated the investment of 150 million pesos for the renovation of the different areas of this important destination.
During the ceremony , the mayor of Sosúa, Wilfredo Olivence , thanked the president for his willingness and the effective work of Minister David Collado to make a dream come true for the community that has been fought for decades.
For his part , José Manuel González , spokesman for the Sosúa beach merchants, affirmed that today history is being made in that community, thanks to the efforts of Minister David Collado and the timely call from the president, giving them guarantees that those who carry out their work on the beach they will not be excluded, qualifying the day as one of Joy for this community.
The event was attended by the Administrative Minister of the Presidency José Ignacio Paliza, Governor Claritza Rochette, Senator Ginette Bournigal, Vice Minister Igor Rodríguez, the Commander General of the Navy of the Dominican Republic Vice Admiral Gustavo Betances, the Director General of the National Police, Major General Alberto Then, the director of the DNCD, José Manuel Cabrera, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza, representing the family that owns the land and who ceded part of it to facilitate, and Bishop Julio Cesar Corniel Amaro, who had his charge the blessing of the act.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
"Readjustment of the sales modules." I realize that's a translation, but it sounds appropriate, like something out of Orwell's 1984. Without starting a new thread, I was curious if anyone has seen anything happening at that weird complex they built at the end of Pedro Clisante to move the interesting activity away from the center of town. The last time I passed last fall, it still wasn't showing much other than a little bar in front.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"Readjustment of the sales modules." I realize that's a translation, but it sounds appropriate, like something out of Orwell's 1984. Without starting a new thread, I was curious if anyone has seen anything happening at that weird complex they built at the end of Pedro Clisante to move the interesting activity away from the center of town. The last time I passed last fall, it still wasn't showing much other than a little bar in front.
This is my best understanding of the latest published information, those links are in the other thread on this topic.

All current structures are going to be removed. Three plazas will be built where "all" of business owners will be provided government assistance in the form of loans to relocate into those three plazas. Will that really work well for the vendors who all sell the same things or provide essentially the same food? Nobody knows.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Without starting a new thread,

Maybe you will find your answers in the other thread that already has over 850 + post.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Maybe you will find your answers in the other thread that already has over 850 + post.

True that, and I apology if I'm wasting anyone's time, but I don't usually scroll to the end of a thread with so many pages because I get bogged down in all the in-fighting, character assassinations, and general nastiness that most threads invariably devolve into.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
They have been open, over the winter there were a few live acts. Seems like the Ahnvee is still the first choice in that end of town. But once the beach changes, there could be a renewed push to move the action to the east end of town.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think David B is asking about the plaza at the end of Pedro clisante where the loud bars and equally loud ladies would be selling their wares

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think David B is asking about the plaza at the end of Pedro clisante where the loud bars and equally loud ladies would be selling their wares
It will be interesting to see whether or not they (the businesses) succeed. If I'm with the "Pride of the Atlantic" team and I am looking at ways to "clean up" the town, I'm going to make life tougher on those who prefer the status quo and not easier by helping them to relocate down the road.
They can't have it both ways.
Indeed it will be interesting to see how all of this unfolds.

Either way, I've no dog in the fight as I only visit Sosua about 2 times a year now even tho I only live on the otherside of the mountains here in Santiago. If they clean the place up, I will visit a lot more than do I now.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Nobody really gives a @#$% that one or two posters here on DR1 do not like to visit Sosua.
Somebody tell me the illegal activity that needs to be "cleaned up".
No, no wait...
No one can do that because there is not any illegal activity that anyone can point to that the controlling legal authorities need to address.
Now before all the moralists start with their personal attacks...rest assured that I don't care what you think.

Everything could be changed in Sosua with zoning laws that are enforced equally without public officials granting "exceptions" to businesses they have special relationships with.
But I am going to call it the way I see it.
The real estate closest to the beach has just become more valuable.
Individuals are eying the current businesses occupying this valuable real estate with envy.
They want the money in their pockets not in the pockets of the current operators of business who have set up successful operations.
This is Dominican Republic @#$%ery 101.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
They have been open, over the winter there were a few live acts. Seems like the Ahnvee is still the first choice in that end of town. But once the beach changes, there could be a renewed push to move the action to the east end of town.
Nothing is going on that end of town other than Ahnvee.
They have their clientele on lock already.
When you walk down that street it is full of abandoned half completed buildings that need a pretty significant infusion of capital to bring any of them up to prime time status.
Even the public road and sidewalks are poorly cared for.
The government cannot force people to invest in things they don't want to.
They can improve infrastructure and provide financial incentives such as tax breaks and credits to induce investment.
Until they start doing that...you know the way they are doing for the Sosua Beach project.
Wish in one hand and :poop: in the other and see which one fill up first.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
True that, and I apology if I'm wasting anyone's time, but I don't usually scroll to the end of a thread with so many pages because I get bogged down in all the in-fighting, character assassinations, and general nastiness that most threads invariably devolve into.
You don't need to apologize for anything. You are not wasting anyone's time because a lot of these DR1 posters got nothing but time. Sitting around being keyboard warriors while waiting for death.
Sometime it is good to get a new perspective.
Focus on a different direction.
Change is good.
It would be interesting to know if any of these newly announced plazas actual have places for the Beach Vendors and has there been any liaison with the Beach Vendors being displaced other than press release announcements.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Nobody really gives a @#$% that one or two posters here on DR1 do not like to visit Sosua.
Somebody tell me the illegal activity that needs to be "cleaned up".
No, no wait...
No one can do that because there is not any illegal activity that anyone can point to that the controlling legal authorities need to address.
Now before all the moralists start with their personal attacks...rest assured that I don't care what you think.

Everything could be changed in Sosua with zoning laws that are enforced equally without public officials granting "exceptions" to businesses they have special relationships with.
But I am going to call it the way I see it.
The real estate closest to the beach has just become more valuable.
Individuals are eying the current businesses occupying this valuable real estate with envy.
They want the money in their pockets not in the pockets of the current operators of business who have set up successful operations.
This is Dominican Republic @#$%ery 101.
Since living in Charamicos back in 2013,
I don't travel up there often at all but I guarantee you
I know more Dominicans living up there than you do
who I speak with all the time.
When is the last time you were in Sosua?
Drugs are a huge problem and so are the tourist hustling
robberies often committed by wildebeest in Spandex.

The degenerate "boyfriends" chulos who follow the women up to
Sosua from whichever sh*thole they came out of...
aren't exactly the most upstanding citizens either but perhaps
that is your crowd?

I won't even get into the amount of young Haitian women being
pimped by their fellow compatriots.

People, this includes hundreds of local Dominicans, do care what
guys like me think and unfortunately for you and yours... there are
a lot of them.

It also wouldn't hurt to remind a few of the foreigners up there we are a
guest while traveling/ living in country other than our own, so act like it.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Since living in Charamicos back in 2013,
I don't travel up there often at all but I guarantee you
I know more Dominicans living up there than you do
who I speak with all the time.
Because you lived up there in 2013 (9 years ago) and even though you don't travel there often...you are the expert.
I will stipulate to that.
I have never lived in Charamicos.
I do not travel Sosua often.
I 8 years, I have been there four times.
When is the last time you were in Sosua?
You start by stating when you were last in Sosua. Cause I'm not playing that game with you.

I see you did not challenge my description of a part of town that was mentioned by me this thread.
You did not challenge it because my description is factually correct.
Has the situation changed on that part of the street since I visited?
Call one of Dominican friends and verify my description.
Then tell me right in this forum that my description is incorrect.

I am surprised you step to me with that DR1 chest out attitude when you know more than just a little about me.
Because you know when I post I am not talking out the side of my neck.
I make it a point to KNOW what I am talking about when I post.
I make it a point to get out and put "boots on the ground" in different parts of the Dominican Republic to build on and enhance my experiences.
We all got opinions.
Drugs are a huge problem and so are the tourist hustling
robberies often committed by wildebeest in Spandex.
Where is the DNCD office in Sosua?
Cause if drugs are a big problem I should have seen the drug boy at least once. (I didn't)
There is a DNCD office in the town that I live in and I know exactly where it is.

Politur is on the street deep in Sosua.
Why are they not protecting the tourists?
That is their job after all.
The Dominicans and Haitians I talk there tell me they focus on a different type of harassment (pardon me) enforcement than actually preventing crime.
I will say that from what I saw, whenever I had to deal with them they were very professional and respectful.
The degenerate "boyfriends" chulos who follow the women up to
Sosua from whichever sh*thole they came out of...
aren't exactly the most upstanding citizens either but perhaps
that is your crowd?
You really gonna go there with the personal insults my man.
It is beneath you. Not really something I would expect from you. But sometimes it is just easier to follow the DR1 crowd now isn't it?
But since you asked the question, no it isn't.
I roll solo.
Not a crowd follower.
And I don't spend a lot of time with degenerate people of any type nor from any location in the Dominican Republic and elsewhere.
So I am going to have to just stipulate to the problem that you present.
You gotta solution for it?
I won't even get into the amount of young Haitian women being
pimped by their fellow compatriots.
Yes, and Dominicans don't pimp. ****** please ‼️
Once again, I don't roll in crowds like that.
So I will have to stipulate and defer to your expertise.
People, this includes hundreds of local Dominicans, do care what
guys like me think and unfortunately for you and yours... there are
a lot of them.
I'm sorry.
I did not know you were a Dominican citizen with a vote on this issue.
I hope you are supporting the political entities within the Dominican Republic that support your views and desires.

But I am more interested to know why you say "unfortunately for you and yours" another personal insult perhaps.
I never figured you for a player hater.
I did not create the game.
And if the nature of Sosua changes.
I will still enjoy the beach and the many excellent restaurant choices and bars and the company of the owners of those restaurants and bars. They have schooled me on doing business in the Dominican Republic and have welcome me with open arms in their business even though I am Gringo Negro as opposed to just Gringo.
So well I could feel sorry for those who joust at windmills...I don't.
Everybody can think what they like.
And more importantly: DOWHATCHALIKE
It also wouldn't hurt to remind a few of the foreigners up there we are a
guest while traveling/ living in country other than our own, so act like it.
We are in agreement on this point.
But that is not my job.
From what I observed it appears that promoting an environment where foreigners can come and do what they can't in their countries of origin is the objective.
Let's be keep it real @CristoRey
You and I both know that if they wanted to make changes
They could make changes.
They are making changes at the beach.
They will in the town.

For most posting in DR1 the problem is the pace of things.
Because they drag their attitudes and biases from their countries of origin and ever after years of living here cannot adapt to the pace and ways of the Dominican Republic.
It is not a matter of morals or appearances...It is a long term money grab, pure and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.