Sosúa Beach Renovations

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Better hospitals are a good idea all over the country. But what about a health care system and enough doctors and nurses.
A hospital. Yes, doctors and nurses are very important. Travel to Santiago or even Puerto Plata is daunting to many expats. You need to make sure you end up at the correct hospital. We are talking more affluent expats here....many who do not speak Spanish.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No but it closely resembles the designs for Sosua beach.
You mean the beach was changed from one thing to another? Playa Alicia was done legally from the beginning so it has zero to do with what is happening on the beach around the bend.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You mean the beach was changed from one thing to another? Playa Alicia was done legally from the beginning so it has zero to do with what is happening on the beach around the bend.
I am saying the design for the renovation of Sosua beach looks just like the facilities that have been built at Playa Alicia. Uninviting and sterile. The question was, "Like which other beaches will it look like?". Nothing more than that. Is it possible I misread your question. We seem to be on two different thought processes.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
As far as the beach area goes where I live, there could be considerable improvement. There are also bars/restaurants collapsing there like the abortion that was Rocky's Aqua. The beaches I go to range from Calleton, Magante, Rogelio, Congrejo, and Friday the first time at Playa Teco. I hope to add Sosua to that group in a year, but time will tell on that. Some people seem to be obsessed with Sosua.

I don't expect anything to be "ready" in Sosua for about a year. Meanwhile, aside from construction noise, the current vendors not actually displaced by the new plazas being built can remain, allegedly. Don't you love the incessant banging of hammers when concrete work is done? Sosua beach is not being destroyed, just the decrepit structures there will be destroyed. They make it most unpleasant now.
Yes looks like Sosua will be facing slow season this year due the constructions, I am glad I don't have not payments other than the electric bill and Internet as I get free water in my apartamento.

JJ

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can hear the chainsaws getting busy down near the beach this morning. Been cutting for the last 30 mounts.
From my window with morning coffee in hand I can not tell where they are cutting, and maybe they are only bucking up tree limbs they lopped off the other day when standing in the excavator bucket ?
No one can stop the progress 😉
Is sad but new development hurt the environment, I have four pine three and two sweet gumballs three on waiting list to be put down on the ground in order to add more construction to my property here in NC.
My wife wants to build a tiny house in the backyard.

JJ

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
No one can stop the progress 😉
Is sad but new development hurt the environment, I have four pine three and two sweet gumballs three on waiting list to be put down on the ground in order to add more construction to my property here in NC.
My wife wants to build a tiny house in the backyard.

JJ
For kicking you out ?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am saying the design for the renovation of Sosua beach looks just like the facilities that have been built at Playa Alicia. Uninviting and sterile. The question was, "Like which other beaches will it look like?". Nothing more than that. Is it possible I misread your question. We seem to be on two different thought processes.

I do not know HOW your Post could have possibly been misunderstood .. you have been very clear for a LONG time on the Specifics of WHY Sosua Beach is very Unique, and we all chimed in with making comparisons of how OTHER Businesses have jumped the shark by going "glass and stainless" as opposed to the Traditional Beach Huts with Shade Trees , etc .etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ... its Tiresome , explaining it already .
I am stunned sometimes by some comments which cant seem to grasp this simple concept .
What is the " LAW " is one thing .. that is a " FEEL or Ambiance " is what we are talking about here, and what you were clearly stating.
and yes , any rational person already knows that these New Plazas will never ever achieve that same feeling ,, it will be " Sterile " as you described.
But possibly Perfect for the Cruisers ,and the Amateur Vacation Families who never leave the fenced in Areas , like they do at the AI's .

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I do not know HOW your Post could have possibly been misunderstood .. you have been very clear for a LONG time on the Specifics of WHY Sosua Beach is very Unique, and we all chimed in with making comparisons of how OTHER Businesses have jumped the shark by going "glass and stainless" as opposed to the Traditional Beach Huts with Shade Trees , etc .etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc ... its Tiresome , explaining it already .
I am stunned sometimes by some comments which cant seem to grasp this simple concept .
What is the " LAW " is one thing .. that is a " FEEL or Ambiance " is what we are talking about here, and what you were clearly stating.
and yes , any rational person already knows that these New Plazas will never ever achieve that same feeling ,, it will be " Sterile " as you described.
But possibly Perfect for the Cruisers ,and the Amateur Vacation Families who never leave the fenced in Areas , like they do at the AI's .
Thanks. I am glad some get what I am trying to say. I have also said I understand I am not the target audience anymore and am willing to move on. I can still not like what they are doing after so many years of enjoyment.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Thanks. I am glad some get what I am trying to say. I have also said I understand I am not the target audience anymore and am willing to move on. I can still not like what they are doing after so many years of enjoyment.
Same here.
The last 8 years Sosua and RD government have made it clear they don't want my kind of tourist anymore, so I stopped going and can spend my $$$ elsewhere.
Let's hope for the Dominicans making a living there my replacements will indeed generate more revenue.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Chain saws still buzzing? What's up with the renovation work?
When I had a look yesterday, there were no chain saws in evidence. There were 2 excavator/loaders clearing brush, moving dirt, and loading dump trucks.. I was surprized to see that all of the old hardwood trees are still standing. Looks like they are going to stay at this point. Not what I was expecting at all. Let's see how things progress. Go Team Luis!!