Sosúa Beach Renovations

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From Sosua group on Facebook:

Some type of earth moving equipment down at beach level doing the clearing for new plazas:

1666615725650.png

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am going to make a wild guess that the businesses currently located where any of the three new plazas are going won't be able to remain until the plazas are open.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Truth be told, it was never my intent to "win" anything with regard to the plans to eventually renovate the scummy parts of Sosua Beach.
I tried to present the information that there were plans and large investors are looing at the north coast for several things. Sosua Beach is just one part of that plan.

A few people never thought anything would happen simply because it never happened before. I don't think they are still in denial, but I could be wrong.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
In Dr we call that one escarbadora and the one behinds "palita".
Pala mecánica.

JJ

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Truth be told, it was never my intent to "win" anything with regard to the plans to eventually renovate the scummy parts of Sosua Beach.
I tried to present the information that there were plans and large investors are looing at the north coast for several things. Sosua Beach is just one part of that plan.

A few people never thought anything would happen simply because it never happened before. I don't think they are still in denial, but I could be wrong.

Because it never happened before? ..... forgot about Long Beach Puerto Plata?.....
When I first heard about the rumors about Sosua Beach and people telling me it would never happen, I immidiately told them that they also said that about Long Beach and one day the bulldozers came and all business owners had like 3 or 4 hours to get everything out of their business before they took everything down. Pool tables were sold for 200 pesos, because the owners didn't have time to take them home.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Because it never happened before? ..... forgot about Long Beach Puerto Plata?.....
When I first heard about the rumors about Sosua Beach and people telling me it would never happen, I immidiately told them that they also said that about Long Beach and one day the bulldozers came and all business owners had like 3 or 4 hours to get everything out of their business before they took everything down. Pool tables were sold for 200 pesos, because the owners didn't have time to take them home.
I certainly get your point. Squatters were cleared from ocean front property in one day across from where I live some years back. They were given warning to leave but did not believe it would happen until the tear gas was used. There was not a trace of over 40 houses a week later. I never saw people work so fast here.

My point was it never happened before in Sosua. There was a lot of talk for 30 years and nothing happened. Some thought it would never happen. A lot more hand wringing with so-called negotiations with unkeepable promises made this time preceded the work on Sosua Beach that just got started and is apparently moving SLOWLY.. Dominican time this time for this job, it would seem.

Reactions: BelgianMik

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
And Long Beach Hotel and land where the bungalows we're located was private owned by Luis Pelegrín at that time. Today family Pelegrín.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I was their first overnight guest when they opened.
I went there once but not to stay, I don't remember very well but it was some type of event in an activities facility with a pretty view to the ocean.
Long time ago.

Hopefully will be true the rumor about a US investors trying to renew this sleeping monster Hotel.

JJ

Reactions: JD Jones

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
In the narrative of the video I shared in Spanish the author mentioned two possible cause for the closure of the hotel, first the assassination of the general manager and second due to the high water contamination of the beach especially during rain season.
The water contamination had been taken care by Medio Ambiente, the illegally invasion of land in the sorrounding areas where people built houses without sanitary conditions was turned down by Dominican authority.
The old guy in the video is a homeless Dominican who claim to be living in the hotel facility ever since 1989. He stated that the original investment of the edification was tie to some type of international drug cartel... Who knows???

JJ

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Is the Adjoining BEACH also part of the Property ? If so ,then Yes, its a an absolutely spectacular Property for the right investor .. I am shocked that no one has tried to acquire it .

But if that Beach is NOT par of it .. then all you got is a Fantastic View, a Pool and a Cliff with Rocks below .. People come for a Beach , which they can easily walk to , Anything Oceanfront with no beach has very little value as a Hotel , except for Condo units perhaps .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I drove by there last week. Didn't stop and get out but from what I could see it didn't look a whole lot different from the last pictures. The two machines that were there were not moving, but it was lunch hour. There was no sign of any work having been done in a long time on the site across the road,

Reactions: ramesses