Sosúa Beach Renovations

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

August 30, 2022​

Playa Sosúa

The hotel sector and neighborhood associations of Sosúa express their support for the renovation of the beach to ensure tourist growth. Last Monday afternoon a fruitful meeting took place with the business community, hoteliers and chairmen of neighborhood councils, who, like the rest of the population of Sosúa, support the initiatives to renovate the beautiful beach of Sosúa. Entrepreneurs and the vast majority of popular sectors understand the need for this great project, which will greatly benefit the economy of Sosúa. The project, with an investment of more than 600 million pesos, marks the relaunch of tourism in Playa Sosúa and the generation of jobs in that area of the Puerto Plata province. The work includes the construction of three plazas for handicraft sellers, with shops, 300 parking spaces and recreational areas with surveillance cameras for the enjoyment of the whole family and tourists visiting the beach. Deputy Tourism Minister Patricia Mejía was accompanied by the provincial governor of Puerto Plata Claritza Rochette de Senior and the provincial senator Ginet Burnigal.​

Meeting Playa Sosúa

Meeting Playa Sosúa​

The Mayor of the Municipality of Sosúa, Wilfredo Olivences (El Chamo) was of course also there and Stephanie Kfouri, Provincial Director of Tourism, General Manager of the Puerto Plata Cable Car, Atahualpa Paulino and Sosúa's Tourism Manager, Ronny Brito. Also present were representatives of many associations from Sosúa involved in tourism.
But whether something will actually happen and when?
The future will tell!​

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I see the pic and read the post, same ol’ same old. Opportunity for a photo-op! Adolfo’s paintings look nice.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They are already gone again... There was some kind of reunion and it looks like the ones attending it where afraid to get in to some troubles.... :rolleyes:
Interesting.
Must have been one hell of a reunion.
Which beach shack do you own/ operate?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I drove to Charamicos and there seemed to be dome sort of gathering/protest going on at the road leading to the beach entrance and an army of Policia National watching over said gathering. The road was blocked off so I couldn't go down there to get a closer look.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
It’s happening, National Police in swat gear on the beach now. They are closing access in the morning. I’ll keep you guys posted as best as I can.
I went to both the east entrance where the parking lot is and the middle entrance on the highway and both were open. The road to the Charamicos entrance is blocked due to police watching over some sort of gathering.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
I went to both the east entrance where the parking lot is and the middle entrance on the highway and both were open. The road to the Charamicos entrance is blocked due to police watching over some sort of gathering.
They started to unload materials to build the fence for the construction at the park on Charamicos side. The playeros did not agree to that hence the police... Andres (president of the beach vendor asosiation) did say to the press that they will have an other meeting tomorrow at 10;00 in Santo Domingo to discuss the playeros concerns....
@CristoRey, non just working....

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
It is happening everywhere. They cleared all the shacks off Playa El Valle. Now if you want food, they bring it in from the villages a few hundred feet back. They are also cleaning up Playa Grande in Las Galeras. When it is finished you will have some nice clean shops and modern bathrooms. I am not sure why people want the status quo. When you arrive at some of these beaches like Sosua, a tourist needs to run the gauntlet of aggressive vendors, gordas, the smell of urine, zero organization or planning, bad bathrooms, and then finally you get to the beach and the ocean. Sometimes change is good.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Has to do with your perspective.

I saw the renovations at Playa Grande with my own eyes. There they are not running off all the local vendors in a full blown gangster like take over move (you seen the pictures in the article about the government intervention on Sosua beach today).

In fact, in Playa Grande the renovations are occurring in such a way that the vendors operating there are able to continue to operate. It appears to me and some up in here are comparing 🍅 s to 🍊's.

I do not know who does not want modern facilities to be available at the beaches the frequent. I want this. But without changing the unique nature of the ambiance of the beach in question. I hope this helps some people understand why everyone does not see everything through the same eyes.

Change is good if done in the right amount and in the right way.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Has to do with your perspective.

I saw the renovations at Playa Grande with my own eyes. There they are not running off all the local vendors in a full blown gangster like take over move (you seen the pictures in the article about the government intervention on Sosua beach today).

In fact, in Playa Grande the renovations are occurring in such a way that the vendors operating there are able to continue to operate. It appears to me and some up in here are comparing 🍅 s to 🍊's.

I do not know who does not want modern facilities to be available at the beaches the frequent. I want this. But without changing the unique nature of the ambiance of the beach in question. I hope this helps some people understand why everyone does not see everything through the same eyes.

Change is good if done in the right amount and in the right way.
Playa Grande sucks since the renos. Many people have stopped going.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
It is happening everywhere. They cleared all the shacks off Playa El Valle. Now if you want food, they bring it in from the villages a few hundred feet back. They are also cleaning up Playa Grande in Las Galeras. When it is finished you will have some nice clean shops and modern bathrooms. I am not sure why people want the status quo. When you arrive at some of these beaches like Sosua, a tourist needs to run the gauntlet of aggressive vendors, gordas, the smell of urine, zero organization or planning, bad bathrooms, and then finally you get to the beach and the ocean. Sometimes change is good.
I agree with you on many fronts. On Sosua beach, I would say only 5 restaurants should have the privilege to stay open. Most of them have no backup power, water or sanitation. I go for coffee at Diversity (their coffee is good), but they never have hand towels in the bathroom and many days no running water. So, I would never eat there based on what I see.

I don't feel bad for most of these vendors. They had time to get with the program and offer its clients a clean atmosphere. I do feel terrible for us expats, tourists and especially the kids that go to the beach after school. What happened yesterday with the military has already lit up social media and it's gonna hurt tourism this season. For some reason, this town loves destroying things just before high season is about to start.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I agree with you on many fronts. On Sosua beach, I would say only 5 restaurants should have the privilege to stay open. Most of them have no backup power, water or sanitation. I go for coffee at Diversity (their coffee is good), but they never have hand towels in the bathroom and many days no running water. So, I would never eat there based on what I see.

I don't feel bad for most of these vendors. They had time to get with the program and offer its clients a clean atmosphere. I do feel terrible for us expats, tourists and especially the kids that go to the beach after school. What happened yesterday with the military has already lit up social media and it's gonna hurt tourism this season. For some reason, this town loves destroying things just before high season is about to start.
They had all summer. People were prepared for this to start after Easterish. Imagine having plans to come for the winter and they do this? I sometimes think they don't understand tourism and how it works. I am changing my plans for the winter.

Reactions: David B

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
They had all summer. People were prepared for this to start after Easterish. Imagine having plans to come for the winter and they do this? I sometimes think they don't understand tourism and how it works. I am changing my plans for the winter.
Umm this is slow time…would January work better?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
This changer over is going to take months and months to complete. If they started earlier, they would have been ready for January. Most people I know are planning October and November for winter.
It won’t take them more then two weeks to clear the beach and open it up again …Dominicans resilience to selling you something will always prevail it’s always about the peso that will never change.