Sosúa Beach Renovations

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think the beach redevelopment has much to do with prostitution. The owner of the land wants to develop it with luxury oceanfront condos. Plain and simple.
I am thinking you are correct. This whole thing is about money...nothing else. Otherwise there would be programs to help the people in the area, not just putting the cost of visiting the beach out of most locals reach....most current tourists that being said. They are glossing over the real reasons for the "repurposing". Hey, they are the ones who own the land, have the money and the power...it's the way things go in life.

Reactions: aarhus and cavok

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Agreements have been signed this afternoon....

ANNOUNCEMENT OF AGREEMENTS BETWEEN SOSUA AND MITUR BEACH SELLERS:
Thirsty. Given the conflicts that have been generated between sellers of Sosúa beach in the Puerto Plata province and the Ministry of Tourism, for the construction of squares in that area, in a press conference held this Thursday on the same beach Sosúa finally the pleyeros they show a signed agreement, where they set all the points.
They also said that three squares two of 150 meters will be built one in the north, one in the south and a third plaza of 75 meters in the middle.
The Players showed great satisfaction with the jointly agreed decision and pointed out that the authorities gave it a deadline of about 30 days in case some of the owners wanted to negotiate their investment. #WellingtonInTheNews @wellingtondjmOfficial

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
100 % true un till economic conditions improve wages social programs and a new law banning prostitution,, redoing the beach wont end the problem chicas will just shift operations else where
And That’s what they want to do shift it elsewhere …he’ll I’ve been coming here before there was a playa Alicia …it was nice yes there where women selling there wares but it was classy and women where beautiful…then it turned into Wild West then over sized spandex queens..now is another new phase like it or not it is coming, It’s not our country we just get to enjoy it, or leave! Demographics are changing again.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Thirsty. Given the conflicts that have been generated between sellers of Sosúa beach in the Puerto Plata province and the Ministry of Tourism, for the construction of squares in that area, in a press conference held this Thursday on the same beach Sosúa finally the pleyeros they show a signed agreement, where they set all the points.
They also said that three squares two of 150 meters will be built one in the north, one in the south and a third plaza of 75 meters in the middle.
The Players showed great satisfaction with the jointly agreed decision and pointed out that the authorities gave it a deadline of about 30 days in case some of the owners wanted to negotiate their investment. #WellingtonInTheNews @wellingtondjmOfficial

I just talked to an owner friend of mine a few minutes ago...he said nothing about this.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I am thinking you are correct. This whole thing is about money...nothing else. Otherwise there would be programs to help the people in the area, not just putting the cost of visiting the beach out of most locals reach....most current tourists that being said. They are glossing over the real reasons for the "repurposing". Hey, they are the ones who own the land, have the money and the power...it's the way things go in life.
Most locals bring there own rum and food.do not spend money at shacks, most shacks are empty 70% foreigners own for joy of it..times change most think it’s for the better ..new generation of bloggers ruined it for mongering crowd simple..

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Most locals bring there own rum and food.do not spend money at shacks, most shacks are empty 70% foreigners own for joy of it..times change most think it’s for the better ..new generation of bloggers ruined it for mongering crowd simple..
This is what I don't understand...this is not a mongering thing. Not to me and the people I know. I know they are blaming it on that.

Do you really think the locals will be allowed to continue bringing their own rum and food and spending the day? I hope so.

Times are not changing....ownership changed.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
This is what I don't understand...this is not a mongering thing. Not to me and the people I know. I know they are blaming it on that.

Do you really think the locals will be allowed to continue bringing their own rum and food and spending the day? I hope so.

Times are not changing....ownership changed.
Times are changing that’s why ownership changes just like prices have almost doubled because of changes and new demographics it fits to what government has Been saying past and present …I’m sure of one thing and that is a bottle of rum will pop out of Sosua water with a local asking me wanna a drink with a friendly smile Be it tomorrow or 25 yrs ago. Maybe the reef will bounce back when we all have a decent place to pee instead of water :cool:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Well, I say: "good luck with that" Let's see what they end up getting after all the shacks are torn down. Having a third plaza in the middle doesn't seem to make much sense, nor does giving up close to half your ocean frontage. Plus, only two parcels, one at either end, were deeded to the government. Kind of hard to change the size of the parcels after the fact. At least once or twice before the vendors were celebrating that they had a deal.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
100 % true un till economic conditions improve wages social programs and a new law banning prostitution,, redoing the beach wont end the problem chicas will just shift operations else where
Yes operation will be reduced this year.
I can predict what is going to happens.
Construction will beging soon, some vendors are going to take that money together now and will move away, some others are going to wait until the project completed then they will sell the right to an investor.
All the chicas will be spread out somewhere else as business starts late night in downtown Sosua.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Considering it's been almost a year and they still haven't been able to complete that sign with the letters "SOSUA" on the hwy as you come into town, it'll be interesting to see just how long it takes them to build a plaza.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Considering it's been almost a year and they still haven't been able to complete that sign with the letters "SOSUA" on the hwy as you come into town, it'll be interesting to see just how long it takes them to build a plaza.
At least it looks as it is "almost" finished.... ;)
Not like the new building for the firefighters/Defensa Civil (they started to build that before the sign) or the new police station.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: cavok

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Well, I say: "good luck with that" Let's see what they end up getting after all the shacks are torn down. Having a third plaza in the middle doesn't seem to make much sense, nor does giving up close to half your ocean frontage. Plus, only two parcels, one at either end, were deeded to the government. Kind of hard to change the size of the parcels after the fact. At least once or twice before the vendors were celebrating that they had a deal.
If the "agreement" is true, I think it sounds a good compromise, which is what the beach vendors have been looking for. The two plazas, one at each end, always seemed too far away for serving anyone in the middle, so for me, the plaza in the middle, along with the two larger plazas at the ends seems a good solution. As usual, we will have to wait and see what actually happens. I do agree with you about the missing sign at the middle beach entrance!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't think the beach redevelopment has much to do with prostitution. The owner of the land wants to develop it with luxury oceanfront condos. Plain and simple.
In addition to the luxury development which will most certainly follow... according Mr. Collado aka Mr. Selfie
this has everything to do with getting rid of the in your face prostitution Sosua has become known for. It was tolerated until it was abused.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
In addition to the luxury development which will most certainly follow... according Mr. Collado aka Mr. Selfie
this has everything to do with getting rid of the in your face prostitution Sosua has become known for. It was tolerated until it was abused.
This is what I don't understand. I have spent a lot of time on the beach. Prostitution on the beach has not been a thing for at least 10 years. Sure some guys bring their ladies to the beach and some of these ladies walk around a bit but it is not like it was 10 years or more ago. Is it solely based on the videos that have shown up on YouTube?
I really thing this is purely about money. Lots of money will go into this...lots of money to be misdirected. I am sure it has already begun...with the "donation" of the land.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I was there also...back in 2001...it was the wild west. Craziest place I had ever been.
2001- 2011 was truly the wild West .. I think around 2012 or so the problems started , coincidentally with You Tube videos
This is what I don't understand. I have spent a lot of time on the beach. Prostitution on the beach has not been a thing for at least 10 years. Sure some guys bring their ladies to the beach and some of these ladies walk around a bit but it is not like it was 10 years or more ago. Is it solely based on the videos that have shown up on YouTube?
I really thing this is purely about money. Lots of money will go into this...lots of money to be misdirected. I am sure it has already begun...with the "donation" of the land.

once again
YES ...Cuba daves weekly videos , and that other Retards with his " Documentary on Prostitution " which had like 8 Millions views YEARS ago , they started it . that was the beginning ...
then the slow laners who wanted to be famous threw Gasoline on it and wont stop. .
yes they are 100 % at fault ..and they make it necessary to shut down the whole thing in order for Real Estate Prices to go where they want them .
No one wants to share a sidewalk with these Dudes as they are making their Live Videos , they have become cumbersome already .

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
2001- 2011 was truly the wild West .. I think around 2012 or so the problems started , coincidentally with You Tube videos

once again
YES ...Cuba daves weekly videos , and that other Retards with his " Documentary on Prostitution " which had like 8 Millions views YEARS ago , they started it . that was the beginning ...
then the slow laners who wanted to be famous threw Gasoline on it and wont stop. .
yes they are 100 % at fault ..and they make it necessary to shut down the whole thing in order for Real Estate Prices to go where they want them .

No one wants to share a sidewalk with these Dudes as they are making their Live Videos , they have become cumbersome already .
Come now, everyone knows they saved Sosua :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If the "agreement" is true, I think it sounds a good compromise, which is what the beach vendors have been looking for. The two plazas, one at each end, always seemed too far away for serving anyone in the middle, so for me, the plaza in the middle, along with the two larger plazas at the ends seems a good solution. As usual, we will have to wait and see what actually happens. I do agree with you about the missing sign at the middle beach entrance!
From a practical standpoint and the vendors' point of view it makes sense, but does it make sense from the landowner's point of view? All this extra land was not the government's land to give.

Reactions: habi