Sosúa Beach Renovations

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've seen platitudes offered all over this country with some regularity... Promise one thing and deliver something different or nothing at all. It'll be awhile before any of us will know what the end result will look like. Getting the vendors to leave is the priority. Inviting them back not so much.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sousúa, DR
The Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sosúa and Cabarete (Ashoresoca) supports the intervention of Sosúa beach by the Ministry of Tourism (Mitur) and welcomes the decision to build the Cangrejos-Montellano bridge, announced by the Ministry of Public Works.

In a communiqué, Ashoresoca reiterated its support to the authorities “for the beginning of the works of adequacy, organization and uprooting of Sosúa beach, so long awaited by the community to fulfill the dream of nationals and foreigners who enjoy the beach.”

The intervention of Sosúa beach, ordered by Mitur, was carried out by agents of the National Police, the DNCD, and Politur, in the face of the resistance of a group of vendors who occupied the public area of the beach to the project.

Yesterday it was announced, as published in the Listin Diario on Thursday, that the Government reached an agreement with the vendors’ association.

The decision of Tourism is motivated by the present situation of slums on the beach, which, together with the prostitution present in the streets of the municipality of Sosua, are considered fundamental problems which make it impossible to relaunch local tourism.

Inclusive project
The project for the beach does not exclude the vendors who will be relocated next to the place they now occupy in a modern commercial plaza outside the area of 60 meters of public use. It will be built on a property next to the beach given by the Pastoriza family.

Ashoresoca, an entity that promotes and supports the development of integral and sustainable tourism in the area, said that it “applauds and enthusiastically supports the intervention of the beach and the construction project of the Cangrejos bridge and the rehabilitation of its alternate roads,” a strategic road investment for the tourism of the Puerto Plata-Playa Grandes coast.

On June 22, President Luis Abinader and Tourism announced the beginning of the renovation of Sosúa beach using an agreement with the area’s vendors.

The Government announced in June the investment of RD$600 million in Sosúa, including the bridge construction, the uprooting of Sosúa beach, and the construction of a plaza to relocate the vendors in the beach area.

Source: DominicanToday

habi

Oct 17, 2015
From a practical standpoint and the vendors' point of view it makes sense, but does it make sense from the landowner's point of view? All this extra land was not the government's land to give.
Specially if you have at the little information one can find online this will be interesting! When you have a look at what Ceiztur is marking for the land which will be used for plazas on the south and the north side (lote 1 y lote 2) you can see that the north side (lote 2) was/is only about the half of what the south would be.....

Like cavok already mentioned the government is not owning the land they supposedly plan to use now (specially not in the middle)....

BTW, the above is to find here:

Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The above announcement is typical of all the previous ones. There's a lot of text that tells you absolutely nothing.
I agree.

Not trying to go off-topic but many of us said the
same thing about Paris y Duarte down in the Capital.
Collado made the announcement. Collado kept his word.

I think it's becoming clear to many of us the 16 year reign of the do nothing PLD
has come to an end. When it comes to infrastructure and construction projects
across the country, Team Luis appears to be moving forward.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I've seen platitudes offered all over this country with some regularity... Promise one thing and deliver something different or nothing at all. It'll be awhile before any of us will know what the end result will look like. Getting the vendors to leave is the priority. Inviting them back not so much
I have seen people dying of inanición awaiting for the government to complete some projects, that's why I say some of the vendors will end up selling the right of ownership.

It happens all time in DR.

JJ

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I've seen platitudes offered all over this country with some regularity... Promise one thing and deliver something different or nothing at all. It'll be awhile before any of us will know what the end result will look like. Getting the vendors to leave is the priority. Inviting them back not so much.
I think you are right. The government is most likely lying to the vendors and everyone else. Good chance it will start off big and end up a shadow of the original plans.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Sousúa, DR
The Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sosúa and Cabarete (Ashoresoca) supports the intervention of Sosúa beach by the Ministry of Tourism (Mitur) and welcomes the decision to build the Cangrejos-Montellano bridge, announced by the Ministry of Public Works.

In a communiqué, Ashoresoca reiterated its support to the authorities “for the beginning of the works of adequacy, organization and uprooting of Sosúa beach, so long awaited by the community to fulfill the dream of nationals and foreigners who enjoy the beach.”

The intervention of Sosúa beach, ordered by Mitur, was carried out by agents of the National Police, the DNCD, and Politur, in the face of the resistance of a group of vendors who occupied the public area of the beach to the project.

Yesterday it was announced, as published in the Listin Diario on Thursday, that the Government reached an agreement with the vendors’ association.

The decision of Tourism is motivated by the present situation of slums on the beach, which, together with the prostitution present in the streets of the municipality of Sosua, are considered fundamental problems which make it impossible to relaunch local tourism.

Inclusive project
The project for the beach does not exclude the vendors who will be relocated next to the place they now occupy in a modern commercial plaza outside the area of 60 meters of public use. It will be built on a property next to the beach given by the Pastoriza family.

Ashoresoca, an entity that promotes and supports the development of integral and sustainable tourism in the area, said that it “applauds and enthusiastically supports the intervention of the beach and the construction project of the Cangrejos bridge and the rehabilitation of its alternate roads,” a strategic road investment for the tourism of the Puerto Plata-Playa Grandes coast.

On June 22, President Luis Abinader and Tourism announced the beginning of the renovation of Sosúa beach using an agreement with the area’s vendors.

The Government announced in June the investment of RD$600 million in Sosúa, including the bridge construction, the uprooting of Sosúa beach, and the construction of a plaza to relocate the vendors in the beach area.

Source: DominicanToday
Kinda hard to argue with that. Although I love the ambience, Sosúa is pretty ghetto.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Kinda hard to argue with that. Although I love the ambience, Sosúa is pretty ghetto.

I just wish they would clean it up while maintaining the ambience. It's one thing to clean it up, it's another to change it completely. If they change it into what is in those renderings, it will be the total opposite to the rest of Sosua and the surrounding area. The difference is stark.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Specially if you have at the little information one can find online this will be interesting! When you have a look at what Ceiztur is marking for the land which will be used for plazas on the south and the north side (lote 1 y lote 2) you can see that the north side (lote 2) was/is only about the half of what the south would be.....

Like cavok already mentioned the government is not owning the land they supposedly plan to use now (specially not in the middle)....

BTW, the above is to find here:

Wow! There's a lot of information there. Everything is totally spec'd out. According to those plans, there's a total of 147 "locales comerciales" including 25 for restaurants. Looking at the plans, it's hard to see what the vendors have to complain about(?). It looks like everyone is going to get a place and there seems to be zero need for a third plaza.

Reactions: CristoRey and habi

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I just wish they would clean it up while maintaining the ambience. It's one thing to clean it up, it's another to change it completely. If they change it into what is in those renderings, it will be the total opposite to the rest of Sosua and the surrounding area. The difference is stark.
If you just look at the project on its own, it's very nice - a real first-class job, but it doesn't seem to reflect anything Dominican, Caribbean, or tropical to me.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Piña Colada, I don't remember the name of the place but it was the shack on the left side when you go up the center Sosua Beach stairs...
The food was delicious, I will miss the shacks.

JJ

Attachments

• IMG-20220815-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220815-WA0001.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 115

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If Those Beach Vendors were smart they would send a Private Investigator of some kind to dig deep , to find out
If you just look at the project on its own, it's very nice - a real first-class job, but it doesn't seem to reflect anything Dominican, Caribbean, or tropical to me.
Those Drawings are hopefully just some a crude Concept , because it looks thrown together by some First year Design Student , not a real Architect , and certainly NOT someone who is even remotely concerned with preserving the AMBIANCE and Feel of this Unique BEACH SPOT.

Dominican upper class / Investors seem to have a warped idea sometimes of what Tourists want .
Which is Strange , because the AI's do go out of their way to make you feel like you are in the DR . Its Certainly not stainless steel and Glass..
We don't travel to the DR to look at something we can see back home .. The Beach is what we came to admire , and the Natural setting .
Seems everyone here also feels the same , that is no mere coincidence .
. There is NOTHING whatsoever in those Drawings which INVITES me to come and Stay there .. nothing .
its very sad that they think we will be impressed with this, enough to even spend more money .
I Hope the final product is completely different from those Drawings .
Sorry if we are pretty much repeating what we said in the Military on the beach thread , but it is a very glaring and valid Point .

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If Those Beach Vendors were smart they would send a Private Investigator of some kind to dig deep , to find out

Those Drawings are hopefully just some a crude Concept , because it looks thrown together by some First year Design Student , not a real Architect , and certainly NOT someone who is even remotely concerned with preserving the AMBIANCE and Feel of this Unique BEACH SPOT.

Dominican upper class / Investors seem to have a warped idea sometimes of what Tourists want .
Which is Strange , because the AI's do go out of their way to make you feel like you are in the DR . Its Certainly not stainless steel and Glass..
We don't travel to the DR to look at something we can see back home .. The Beach is what we came to admire , and the Natural setting .
Seems everyone here also feels the same , that is no mere coincidence .
. There is NOTHING whatsoever in those Drawings which INVITES me to come and Stay there .. nothing .
its very sad that they think we will be impressed with this, enough to even spend more money .
I Hope the final product is completely different from those Drawings .
Sorry if we are pretty much repeating what we said in the Military on the beach thread , but it is a very glaring and valid Point .
Amen jd426

Reactions: jd426

David B

Aug 31, 2017
I'm just afraid that Playa Sosúa will end up resembling Pllaya Alicia, which is beautiful yet boring as crap in its sterility.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I'm just afraid that Playa Sosúa will end up resembling Pllaya Alicia, which is beautiful yet boring as crap in its sterility.
Playa Alicia is more High Class.
When I go to the beach with my family; daughter and grandkids from Santiago that's where we go.
Playa Alicia is more family oriented, the restaurant upstairs have servers walking around the beach.
Playa Sosua more ghetto ambience, bunch of low class Dominicans and New Yorkers.

JJ

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Playa Alicia is more High Class.
When I go to the beach with my family; daughter and grandkids from Santiago that's where we go.
Playa Alicia is more family oriented, the restaurant upstairs have servers walking around the beach.
Playa Sosua more ghetto ambience, bunch of low class Dominicans and New Yorkers.

JJ
I see it totally the opposite. Playa Alicia is sterile and boring. Playa Sosua is vibrant and exciting. I can find a Playa Alicia in many places around the world. Sosua beach is a gem among homogenous beaches. It's the reason I have been coming back for 21 years.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I see it totally the opposite. Playa Alicia is sterile and boring. Playa Sosua is vibrant and exciting. I can find a Playa Alicia in many places around the world. Sosua beach is a gem among homogenous beaches. It's the reason I have been coming back for 21 years.
Yes. What used to be good about the north coast was that each beach had very different attractions and ambience. Now they seem to be trying to make them all the same.