Sosúa Beach Renovations

habi

Oct 17, 2015
So I can just wander onto Casa marina beach with all my friends and hang around? Hire a boat to drop us off.
Yes you can! But the problem at the moment would be there is not a lot of the beach remaining at Casa Marina... 🧐

Reactions: ramesses

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You bring a cooler, chairs, umbrellas...and snacks.
But why wait until you get in front of the AI to plop yourself down? There're miles of public beach right here in the Cabarete area. Bring your cooler, chairs, umbrellas, and snacks if that's what floats your boat. You'll have the beach pretty much to yourself because there are very, very few people doing that here. Everyone goes to Cabarete Beach where there are restaurants, bars, and you can rent chairs and umbrellas, or sit at a table in the shade.

Reactions: windeguy

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
But why wait until you get in front of the AI to plop yourself down? There're miles of public beach right here in the Cabarete area. Bring your cooler, chairs, umbrellas, and snacks if that's what floats your boat. You'll have the beach pretty much to yourself because there are very, very few people doing that here. Everyone goes to Cabarete Beach where there are restaurants, bars, and you can rent chairs and umbrellas, or sit at a table in the shade.
Have been to Cabarete many time, not the place for me. I am only being facetious as I do not believe you can just plop down on an AI beach without being moved out or harassed until you leave. I believe this is the future of Sosua beach....in time.

Reactions: sylviamcginnis

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
So, I am somewhat confused.
Apparently the government now promises the vendors can move into plazas to continue their business (let's forget for a minute which tourist wants to sit in a plaza huddled with a 100 other restaurants and souvenir shops together while not actually be on the beach. Let's also forget for a minute these vendors won't be able to pay that kind of rent).

My question is who are these 'vendors' in all this?
I have always understood and seen in practice most of the actual vendors just rent their shack from someone who claims to be the owner (but is actually not and just squatting and in turn might also be renting from a third squatter).
Who now has gotten the right to inhabit a place in the plaza? The squatter who rents the shack from an illegitimate 'owner' and ran a business there (for example Danny from Malibu or in the past Herman from Siempre Sol) or the squatter who claims to own the shack but only came by for the monthly rent?
This is going to be an interesting mess. Say these plazas actually are a success. Who will claim rights to inhabit them?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And how long before the stalls are subleased to someone else?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Since they are pretty much ALL Squatters , the only fair way would be some kind of Lottery System, or maybe they are counting on the new HIGH RENT to just weed out the People who already know they cant possibly Cut it so why waste time trying , and they will just simply walk away ?
Or maybe they are going to give the BIG Names their shot first, and then just fill in what's left over as they go .
And Interesting Mess indeed ..

Reactions: Big and aarhus

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, I am somewhat confused.
Apparently the government now promises the vendors can move into plazas to continue their business (let's forget for a minute which tourist wants to sit in a plaza huddled with a 100 other restaurants and souvenir shops together while not actually be on the beach. Let's also forget for a minute these vendors won't be able to pay that kind of rent).

My question is who are these 'vendors' in all this?
I have always understood and seen in practice most of the actual vendors just rent their shack from someone who claims to be the owner (but is actually not and just squatting and in turn might also be renting from a third squatter).
Who now has gotten the right to inhabit a place in the plaza? The squatter who rents the shack from an illegitimate 'owner' and ran a business there (for example Danny from Malibu or in the past Herman from Siempre Sol) or the squatter who claims to own the shack but only came by for the monthly rent?
This is going to be an interesting mess. Say these plazas actually are a success. Who will claim rights to inhabit them?
Interesting. There could be two or three people claiming a spot in each of the plaza "booths". Also...are all "booths" facing the sea? Who gets the view, who does not?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Since they are pretty much ALL Squatters , the only fair way would be some kind of Lottery System, or maybe they are counting on the new HIGH RENT to just weed out the People who already know they cant possibly Cut it so why waste time trying , and they will just simply walk away ?
Or maybe they are going to give the BIG Names their shot first, and then just fill in what's left over as they go .
And Interesting Mess indeed ..
Imagine the cost of food and drink...or trinkets or beach chairs if the rents are high.

Reactions: chico bill

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Imagine the cost of food and drink...or trinkets or beach chairs if the rents are high.
They currently High, red snapper $1,100. Lb.
A dinner for two $3,500. Easy in Sosua or Cabarete.
I paid less money at a resort restaurant "Riviera Azul" in Playa Dorada than it cost in the beach of Sosua or Cabarete.

JJ

Reactions: ramesses and aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Certainly beach prices now are a rip. Quality for the majority is on the low side and cost is too high for full time expats and locals for the most part. Tourists have short term budgets and likely don't mind the hit.

But my idea of going and getting a recliner in the shade and a few drinks and a fried fish meal and dropping 3500 pesos isn't a good beach day.

I'd rather go out that night get a churrasco a couple drinks for half that cost.

If the 'upgraded' government Beach experiment is going to be higher, then only the tourists with stuffed money belts or an influx of Santiago show-offs will populate Sosua Beach

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I paid less money at a resort restaurant "Riviera Azul" in Playa Dorada than it cost in the beach of Sosua or Cabarete.

JJ
Same thing that has been going on at Boca Chica beach for years.

Reactions: bachata

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

JJ
Well, it's going to triple.

• Wow
Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Well, it's going to triple.
In the mean time only people from others countries with stronger economics can afford a Fry red snapper at the beach.
I always make a stop in Maimón on my way from and to Santiago. This year couldn't have Cotorra fish as it have been restricted for few years.
Have a red snapper and a Corbina fish, didn't like the second one that much but that's what they have.

JJ

David B

Aug 31, 2017
On a side-note, since bachata mentioned Maimon, where I rent a modest home in the barrio, Playa Teco in Guzmancito, right over from the fish-places, has the authentic, crazy Dominican ambience and a beautiful beach. I realize it's not close to Sosua, nor Cabarete but at least I don't see the government wrecking that one any time soon.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have not seen anything yet on what the rent will be.
We will have to wait and see what the rental contract actually looks like.
And also what government loans are made.
Anything else is pure speculation.

Reactions: thompstr