Sosúa Beach Renovations

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They said recently vendors will be allowed to operate during the "transformation"
regardless of how disruptive it may be to those in attendance. I wonder how they
will deal with the electricity and water being disconnected during the construction process
if necessary?
How? Badly, of course. Those who go will let us know.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
How? Badly, of course. Those who go will let us know.
I spent many afternoons relaxing at the beach back in 2013/14
without electricity. Now a days it seems like a lot more businesses
are practicing the I'm bigger, badder/ louder approach to attract
customers which will be a little tougher to do if services start
getting interrupted more often. Sucks for them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Oh my, he called it a back hoe... At least truth hit home that the changes are being made.

In my opinion, they are obviously making a path/trail/road for heavy equipment to travel behind the shacks.

Reactions: CristoRey

Big

Apr 24, 2019

Oh my, he called it a back hoe... At least truth hit home that the changes are being made.
well Sir Windy, here is the deal. Many can determine what is going to take place by the type of equipment on site. A while back someone reported seeing a large dozer near the beach and assumed demolition was going to take place. A dozer crawler is almost never used for demolition. That excavator pictured will do trench work and demolition. Dozers usually indicate road building and/or mining. The next class session will be on "feller bunchers". I can even give you a deal on one with low hours.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Does anyone really believe that in the DR they're going to worry about whether or not it's the perfect tool for the job if what they have can, possibly, be made to do the job?

They don't need a Feller Buncher to trim or remove trees, they don't need "no stinking" bulldozer or whatever. They're just going to use what's on hand...as seen time and time again.

It's a tragedy in the making...destroying the beach and creating some ridiculous plazas but it's beyond the control of any of us here...not that we ever had a say despite all the posts here on DRone ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since they have started this week, what are best guesses for completion? I think about 10 months for the first plaza.
It will be interesting to see if they do one plaza at a time, or all three in parallel.

And where is that parking for 300 cars?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Since they have started this week, what are best guesses for completion? I think about 10 months for the first plaza.
It will be interesting to see if they do one plaza at a time, or all three in parallel.

You actually think this will get completed? I say they get it half way done then the money runs out. We will be a left with a large crater. Hope I am wrong but I have this feeling.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You actually think this will get completed? I say they get it half way done then the money runs out. We will be a left with a large crater. Hope I am wrong but I have this feeling.
I have no idea if and when completion will be. I could only predict it was going to start, which many denied it ever would.

LOTS of movement on the big dig across the main highway from the beach today. Lots of earth removal by big machines I won't attempt to name doing the excavation.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have no idea if and when completion will be. I could only predict it was going to start, which many denied it ever would.

LOTS of movement on the big dig across the main highway from the beach today. Lots of earth removal by big machines I won't attempt to name doing the excavation.

I always thought it would one day. I remember hearing about this back in 2003. I always predicted they would screw it up.

Reactions: chico bill

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

My bet is they will do the south plaza near Charamicos first and that the third plaza will never be built.

The plans I saw seemed to indicate that the big parking lot will be where the south plaza is.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You could be right. I think Abinader has too many balls in the air at the same time right now. For example, work on Hwy 21 over the mountains via Jamao has pretty much stopped.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You could be right. I think Abinader has too many balls in the air at the same time right now. For example, work on Hwy 21 over the mountains via Jamao has pretty much stopped.
Tourism, and the money which comes from it is his SPECIALTY though . He has Studied it , and has become wealthy from it even before taking office .
So I dont think he will be doing it all himself .. He already has the right people in Place to manage all these Different Projects ..
This President is no Joke, he is all about the $$$$.. and when he leaves office he will be a very Wealthy Man , PLUS Tourism will be completely different from what it is today .. the Previous Clowns imo were all just about the Greasing and the outright Bribes ,and they cared not if a Project ever got completed .
This guy seems to be thinking Long .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Tourism, and the money which comes from it is his SPECIALTY though . He has Studied it , and has become wealthy from it even before taking office .
So I dont think he will be doing it all himself .. He already has the right people in Place to manage all these Different Projects ..
This President is no Joke, he is all about the $$$$.. and when he leaves office he will be a very Wealthy Man , PLUS Tourism will be completely different from what it is today .. the Previous Clowns imo were all just about the Greasing and the outright Bribes ,and they cared not if a Project ever got completed .
This guy seems to be thinking Long .
Abinader is doing a good job, but I still think he has way too much on his plate right now. Remember the Ambar Highway project? A shovel still hasn't even been put in the ground and my bet is it won't be started by the end of his first term.

• Wow
Reactions: bachata

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Abinader is doing a good job, but I still think he has way too much on his plate right now. Remember the Ambar Highway project? A shovel still hasn't even been put in the ground and my bet is it won't be started by the end of his first term.

Yes, but that is because they couldn't justify the cost vs. use based on the studies they've done. Very possibly a smart decision.

Reactions: windeguy

Sandu

Jan 6, 2018
all i know is that i was very close in purchasing a place in sosua ........i have been going there for10 years and love the beach and atmosphere...i will wait now to see how they ruin or better the beach....but i think the beach is perfect the way it is....time a changing my friends....a lot of stupid people voting these days...very stupid

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
all i know is that i was very close in purchasing a place in sosua ........i have been going there for10 years and love the beach and atmosphere...i will wait now to see how they ruin or better the beach....but i think the beach is perfect the way it is....time a changing my friends....a lot of stupid people voting these days...very stupid
All it really needs is an infrastructure update and some help to the current vendors to revamp their businesses. It is clear why they want a beach that in no way represents the town or the surrounding area.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
That project was started in 1990s by Balaguer.
The Dam PLD forgot about it, not just they didn't care about the North but Leonel and his people digged all the streets of Puerto Plata City and walked away.
The swear project of Pto. Pta. was abandoned for years after they started. Most people say PLD intentions was to damage the tourism in North Shores.
Yes they got free land in the PC area to develop all those resorts, the same land that belongs to the CEA Concejo Estatal del Azúcar.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That project was started in 1990s by Balaguer.
The Dam PLD forgot about it, not just they didn't care about the North but Leonel and his people digged all the streets of Puerto Plata City and walked away.
The swear project of Pto. Pta. was abandoned for years after they started. Most people say PLD intentions was to damage the tourism in North Shores.
Yes they got free land in the PC area to develop all those resorts, the same land that belongs to the CEA Concejo Estatal del Azúcar.

JJ
Yes, they definitely did seem to want to promote PC at the expense of Puerto Plata and the north coast. That said, I don't think the Sosua Beach renovations have as much to do with tourism as it does with monied interests building luxury beachfront condos and all the money that can be made from that.