Sosúa Beach Renovations

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Seems to me they should have known that before they told everyone they were going to build it.
Come on now, they just forgot to enter the dependency between the two tasks in their Microsoft Project app. Can happen to anyone...

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Yes, they definitely did seem to want to promote PC at the expense of Puerto Plata and the north coast. That said, I don't think the Sosua Beach renovations have as much to do with tourism as it does with monied interests building luxury beachfront condos and all the money that can be made from that.
Bingo!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Of course the big money wasn't going to do anything until the beach was cleaned up. I thought that was obvious to everyone. People are just now starting to see this? Wow...

MORE Big money is waiting for even MORE cleanup of Sosua, if and when that ever happens.
(Why do you think the Tourism Director mentioned what he did about Sosua and you all know what when he described the beach renovations?)

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, they definitely did seem to want to promote PC at the expense of Puerto Plata and the north coast. That said, I don't think the Sosua Beach renovations have as much to do with tourism as it does with monied interests building luxury beachfront condos and all the money that can be made from that.
Let them keep promoting Punta Cana.
We don't want them to convert the North Coast, which has more character than that over-hyped megalopolis of pink-skinned, sunburned-blistered, flatulent international-flotsam in their floppy hats with bulging waistlines flocking like rabid lemmings to slurp down unlimited adulterated beverages and gorge those bellies on greasy buffets.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let them keep promoting Punta Cana.
We don't want them to convert the North Coast, which has more character than that over-hyped megalopolis of pink-skinned, sunburned-blistered, flatulent international-flotsam in their floppy hats with bulging waistlines flocking like rabid lemmings to slurp down unlimited adulterated beverages and gorge those bellies on greasy buffets.
Don't worry, it won't be long before they are promoting Pedernales alongside Punta Cana. The north coast is now all about expat housing (like the condos allegedly showing up soon behind Sosua Beach) and many other housing projects from Puerto Plata to Gaspar Hernandez all along the north coast.

Dream City in Sosua might yet come back as a project. Even the luxury resort W to be built on the beach in Cabarete has ownership options. Tourism is turning into ownership of individual properties.

Of course those owners can always turn them back into some tourism by listing them on VRBO, AIRBNB, etc.. , but they won't have those greasy buffets. The few condos that might be built behind Sosua beach would just be a drop in the ocean.

Reactions: bachata

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Don't worry, it won't be long before they are promoting Pedernales alongside Punta Cana. The north coast is now all about expat housing (like the condos allegedly showing up soon behind Sosua Beach) and many other housing projects from Puerto Plata to Gaspar Hernandez all along the north coast.

Dream City in Sosua might yet come back as a project. Even the luxury resort W to be built on the beach in Cabarete has ownership options. Tourism is turning into ownership of individual properties.

Of course those owners can always turn them back into some tourism by listing them on VRBO, AIRBNB, etc.. , but they won't have those greasy buffets. The few condos that might be built behind Sosua beach would just be a drop in the ocean.
Dream City was just that a Dream. I think the Guys pushing it had shallow pockets and short arms.
Besides I don't think they could get the land anyway

Reactions: jd426

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Of course the big money wasn't going to do anything until the beach was cleaned up. I thought that was obvious to everyone. People are just now starting to see this? Wow...

MORE Big money is waiting for even MORE cleanup of Sosua, if and when that ever happens.
(Why do you think the Tourism Director mentioned what he did about Sosua and you all know what when he described the beach renovations?)
It's always been about corporations and deep pockets. It's the perfect place to make a lot of money disappear. The so called clean up is a screen and a reason to cover the funneling of said money. Once money is involved, the Caribbean feel is doomed.

That said, I have moved on. The last 20+ years have been fantastic, on to the next place.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

The biggest thing they could do is build a damn hospital...great healthcare is what is missing in the area.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The biggest thing they could do is build a damn hospital...great healthcare is what is missing in the area.
There is a office that provides VA Services right on Pedro Cilantro across from Kings (Rumbas). I am told by veterans that I have met that the VA healthcare system in the Dominican Republic is excellent. Even better than the care they receive in their country of origin.

Forgive me if this considered off topic. But it actually could be considered part of the renovations. Given the assertions that the north coast is focused on expat living.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There is a office that provides VA Services right on Pedro Cilantro across from Kings (Rumbas). I am told by veterans that I have met that the VA healthcare system in the Dominican Republic is excellent. Even better than the care they receive in their country of origin.

Forgive me if this considered off topic. But it actually could be considered part of the renovations. Given the assertions that the north coast is focused on expat living.
I think it would be a huge asset for people who will be living on Sosua beach in the new condos.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I think it would be a huge asset for people who will be living on Sosua beach in the new condos.
Without a doubt.
But your assertion remains correct.
Everyone I know in the area tells me they goto Puerto Plata or Santiago for serious medical care.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Does anyone recall that story with the Biker who got hit, and almost bled out on the main highway ..they could not even help him, had to take him to Santiago ..
If Sosua area cant even give Emergency Care to someone who is bleeding out , yeagh that should be a Major Concern to every Expat who is thinking of buying an Expensive Condo and thinking he is just going to Chill out in his Retirement Years ..
Think on that .... Most senior Communities are built with the consideration that there is a Good Hospital Nearby .
So , yes I agree 100% . without a good Hospital in the Area.. that Real Estate really has NO VALUE . Demographically Speaking .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's always been about corporations and deep pockets. It's the perfect place to make a lot of money disappear. The so called clean up is a screen and a reason to cover the funneling of said money. Once money is involved, the Caribbean feel is doomed.

That said, I have moved on. The last 20+ years have been fantastic, on to the next place.
Anymore, I really wonder if there is a "next place" to move on to that could even come close to duplicating the experience here(?).

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Anymore, I really wonder if there is a "next place" to move on to that could even come close to duplicating the experience here(?).
Nothing can duplicate Sosua beach. I just found a place where I am comfortable, which I enjoy and fits most of my needs.

Sosua beach is a unique situation, a gem of the Carribean. The power that be have no idea what they have there. All it needs is a facelift and a bit more structure. Fix the town up a bit. Build a hospital. Making the beach like every other beach is not the answer.

I suppose I am wrong as the DR government must know what they are doing.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Nothing can duplicate Sosua beach. I just found a place where I am comfortable, which I enjoy and fits most of my needs.

Sosua beach is a unique situation, a gem of the Carribean. The power that be have no idea what they have there. All it needs is a facelift and a bit more structure. Fix the town up a bit. Build a hospital. Making the beach like every other beach is not the answer.

You can't totally blame the government for this. Most of that land is private property and it is the owners that want to develop it.

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You are dead on point Bro. 💯🎯
But that is the beauty of the Dominican Republic.
At least there are so many beaches on this island that both you and I have been able to do that and we vote with our feet and DOP.
Walk off grand slam right here. Standing ovation Bro‼️
I do not think you are wrong.
But governments do what they have the power to do based on the political capital they wish to expend depending upon what BIG MONEY is whispering in their ear.

What many posters do not seem to realize is that renovation is good.
And many of us are not arguing against renovation in and of itself.
But it is completely dependent on the type of renovation that is done.
I happen to think public resources should not be allocated to the sole benefit of private people.

The beach is not private, it is a public resource.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I am not an abuser of animals.
And I hope others on DR1 are not either.
Rest assured no horses or any other animals have been beaten to death or abused in anyway during the composition of my posts.
But I thank you @cavok for the information.
Maybe it will be useful for others I was already familiar with the information you posted in #339.

Sosua Beach is a pubic resource.
I am incorrect ❓