Sosúa Beach Renovations

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Because it never happened before? ..... forgot about Long Beach Puerto Plata?.....
When I first heard about the rumors about Sosua Beach and people telling me it would never happen, I immidiately told them that they also said that about Long Beach and one day the bulldozers came and all business owners had like 3 or 4 hours to get everything out of their business before they took everything down. Pool tables were sold for 200 pesos, because the owners didn't have time to take them home.
I remember that . So sad . the end of nightlife in puerto plata

Reactions: ramesses

Big

Apr 24, 2019
well there have been changes for sure, but someone should tell the chicas. The town is still packed with girls selling their wares.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I remember that . So sad . the end of nightlife in puerto plata
I zouldn't say the end of nightlife. If you now go (especially in the weekends) tot 16 (Charly and Chalos), Luxury, Latin Disco, Miami, Acapela, Bohemias, Mescla, Rooftop etc, it is full and it is party-time. But I understand what you are trying to say, not the nightlife where gringo's go and look for "chicas". The nightlife in Puerto Plata changed more to nightlige for dominicans and couples.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was their first overnight guest when they opened.
I walked thru this place with a friend one afternoon back in 2013.
It was completely gutted and full of Haitian squatters. Should be
completely torn down and broken up into smaller plots. This would
help spur investment.

• Sad
Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Sosúa beach vendors hold protest to demand buildings.​

The Sosua beach vendors walked for nearly six hours from that municipality to the Provincial Government to deliver documentation containing claims demanding the construction of three plazas on the beach, a bridge in Cangrejos, and a hospital. José Manuel González, known as Lilo, the vendor’s spokesperson; Andrés Batista, the entity’s president; and other members stated that they marched peacefully and delivered a document to the Provincial Tourism Office and another to the Governor’s Office demanding vital works for Sosua. They noted that the Crab Bridge has been experiencing problems since April and that its replacement was announced in September. Similarly, they stated that the construction of the Sosua hospital is a community claim dating back more than 30 years.

A commission from the entity was received in the governor’s office by Claritza Rochette’s assistant, Danna Ydalina Taveras, as well as its director of communications, Ariel Heredia, and other officials. The driving force behind this claim is the construction of a vendor plaza, which was announced on June 25 of this year in an activity led by President Luis Abinader and Minister of Tourism David Collado, with a 615 million investment for a clean-up plan and the demolition of Sosua. José Manuel González assured that they had agreed to the construction of three plazas, one in the southern part of Los Charamicos, one 75 meters in front of the beach, and one 150 meters on the north side, the side of El Batey and that currently only one on the south side with only 35 meters to the beach is being built, which is intended to remove them completely from the beach area, which is what they have been fighting for all along.

They demanded a halt to work on the current plaza and constructing the three agreed-upon plazas.

Source: Dominican Today

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Sosúa beach vendors hold protest to demand buildings.​

The Sosua beach vendors walked for nearly six hours from that municipality to the Provincial Government to deliver documentation containing claims demanding the construction of three plazas on the beach, a bridge in Cangrejos, and a hospital. José Manuel González, known as Lilo, the vendor’s spokesperson; Andrés Batista, the entity’s president; and other members stated that they marched peacefully and delivered a document to the Provincial Tourism Office and another to the Governor’s Office demanding vital works for Sosua. They noted that the Crab Bridge has been experiencing problems since April and that its replacement was announced in September. Similarly, they stated that the construction of the Sosua hospital is a community claim dating back more than 30 years.

A commission from the entity was received in the governor’s office by Claritza Rochette’s assistant, Danna Ydalina Taveras, as well as its director of communications, Ariel Heredia, and other officials. The driving force behind this claim is the construction of a vendor plaza, which was announced on June 25 of this year in an activity led by President Luis Abinader and Minister of Tourism David Collado, with a 615 million investment for a clean-up plan and the demolition of Sosua. José Manuel González assured that they had agreed to the construction of three plazas, one in the southern part of Los Charamicos, one 75 meters in front of the beach, and one 150 meters on the north side, the side of El Batey and that currently only one on the south side with only 35 meters to the beach is being built, which is intended to remove them completely from the beach area, which is what they have been fighting for all along.

They demanded a halt to work on the current plaza and constructing the three agreed-upon plazas.

Source: Dominican Today
How can they demand anything? I do feel bad for them but demanding is not the way to go.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There was a video posted on Twitter right after the Tourism lady resigned in Puerto Plata where he emphasized that the work on Sosua beach was going to proceed just as they had agreed upon.
I got the impression he's a little tired of the back and forth from this group, as he answer was rather curt and short, which was the first time I've seen him like that.
I'm not going to search for it because "Twitter".

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How can they demand anything? I do feel bad for them but demanding is not the way to go.

Reminds me of a Scene from the Show The Wire
where Chris & Snoop are talking to Bodie , he has no choice in taking on a New Package .
" WHY ain't in your repertoire no more ... my N **"

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I like Abinader the best DR President, a man of his time.
Abinader realizes that the DR needs tax revenue to move forward and needs to cut corruption.

However on Sosua Beach the performance has been pathetic, in typical DR fashion completely incompetent.
Since last years high season things have only gotten worse, with many people having no desire to go to the area.

The existing problem of Cangrejo bridge since April is a major embarrassment to the DR government.
This is the major highway connecting North Shore communities.
The Montellano detour is well constructed for DR standards.

When the old Montellano bridge over the Riu Camu collapsed, it was re-build in about three months.
Because of this the detour is possible.
Ambulances because of height, Buses and heavy trucks have to use the detour.

The old bridge should remain open while the new one is being build on its side.
If during construction the bridge is closed, all traffic will have to use the detour.
It will be a desaster in Montellano, and life saving ambulances will face heavy delays with no way to pass on the detour.
Incompetence at its worst!

People can go to Sosua, Sosua Beach and Cabarete to make up their own minds as to the volume and vibrancy of tourism.

All this in the face of covid, Ukraine war, energy crisis and inflation.
A tall order for all world governments, with discretionary incomes shrinking.
The only cost effective 1-2 week vacation in the DR is in Punta Cana, Playa Dorada a very small player.
I don't see money pumped into POP, Sosua or Cabarete by cruise arrivals.
Maybe some shore excursions, but all else is better aboard and paid for.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Full steam ahead.
I'm thinking the folks handling this project don't really need or want these vendors around. A bit like a thorn in their side.
Who's gonna manage these plazas and how much money will these spaces cost?
Most of these folks running these shacks barely make enough money now to keep the lights on and the coolers stocked. Then there is the question of location. Who gets first pick? Going forward I think we are gonna start seeing more beach vendor meetings (with each other) and more protest as it appears the government doesn't feel the need to continue entertaining their grievances.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The grammar in that article is so bad I have no idea which plaza is now being built where(?). I haven't heard that construction has begun on any of the plazas yet.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
The grammar in that article is so bad I have no idea which plaza is now being built where(?). I haven't heard that construction has begun on any of the plazas yet.
They are working on the sooth plaza at the moment....

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Rebar is in place and they are working there everyday. They prefer you not see what they are doing and put up blocking tin panels so you need to make a small effort to look inside.
Concrete is coming to the Beach

Reactions: cavok

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I repeat.... when we had the changes ay Playa Grande beach several years ago, the talk was of failure... bad results.

The shacks were reduced in number & moved to the east end of the beach.

The vendors flourished... never had it so good.

We shall see what we shall see in Sosua

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Ambulances because of height, Buses and heavy trucks have to use the detour.

The old bridge should remain open while the new one is being build on its side.
If during construction the bridge is closed, all traffic will have to use the detour.
It will be a desaster in Montellano, and life saving ambulances will face heavy delays with no way to pass on the detour.
Incompetence at its worst!
Ambulances shouldn't have to use the detour. Dominican ambulances are not very tall, and if guaguas can fit under the height restriction bars, I'm sure ambulances can.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Ambulances shouldn't have to use the detour. Dominican ambulances are not very tall, and if guaguas can fit under the height restriction bars, I'm sure ambulances can.
As you've been around for a while you surely know that a lot of equipment for the North Coast is donated by foreign countries to the DR.
This includes Ambulances and Fire departments.
It is not as if gob.do is purchasing new equipment for the provinces or training competent Paramedics.
Of course the ambulances are not using the detour by choice, that would be the highway, fastest route.
The march to P.P. with all the mentioned issues, of course will achieve nothing as usual.
The Hospital construction still is not finished after years, the shacks are still on the beach in their dilapidated state.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata

August 19, 2022​

The Cangrejos bridge

Last Wednesday it happened, despite all the warning signs a truck drove over the bridge against the beam. A beam is mounted on both sides of the bridge, so that higher vehicles, such as trucks, cannot drive over the provisionally repaired bridge. But on Wednesday there was a driver who tried.​

There is still a lot of talk about the bridge. A new bridge has to be built, that's for sure. But on the other hand, it is a kind of band-aid for the state of the road network in the north of the country. The north has suffered greatly from the Corona crisis. Now that tourism is picking up again, people will have to work with all their might to let the north coast benefit.​

The Cangrejos bridge

The Cangrejos bridge​

Much needs to be done to improve the infrastructure of the north coast and not just a new bridge.​

Like Reply