Sosúa Beach Renovations

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I can hear the US version and EU sirens, which are different.

September 24, 2011​

A donated ambulance for Sosúa?

French Foundation Friends of Heart (la Fundación Amistades del Corazón de Francia) has 14 used ambulances from the brands Citroen and Mercedes Benz donated to the Dominican Republic. They are modern ambulances from the year 2000 with all modern conveniences. The government has decided that nine of these ambulances will be made available for the province of Puerto Plata. The problem is that the shipping from France to the Dominican Republic should be paid by its own inhabitants. The editors of 'Sosúa Online' now want to start a donation action to persuade Sosúa residents to bring enough money together to transport the ambulance. Sosúa would therefore have access to a modern ambulance to use in emergencies as traffic accidents and fires.​

An ambulance for Sosúa?

An ambulance for Sosúa?​

Obviously, the municipal government then still has to provide further training and equipment of the ambulance and payment of ambulance personnel.
Source: El faro en Sosúa Online​

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I can hear the US version and EU sirens, which are different.

September 24, 2011​

A donated ambulance for Sosúa?

French Foundation Friends of Heart (la Fundación Amistades del Corazón de Francia) has 14 used ambulances from the brands Citroen and Mercedes Benz donated to the Dominican Republic. They are modern ambulances from the year 2000 with all modern conveniences. The government has decided that nine of these ambulances will be made available for the province of Puerto Plata. The problem is that the shipping from France to the Dominican Republic should be paid by its own inhabitants. The editors of 'Sosúa Online' now want to start a donation action to persuade Sosúa residents to bring enough money together to transport the ambulance. Sosúa would therefore have access to a modern ambulance to use in emergencies as traffic accidents and fires.​

An ambulance for Sosúa?

An ambulance for Sosúa?​

Obviously, the municipal government then still has to provide further training and equipment of the ambulance and payment of ambulance personnel.​

Source: El faro en Sosúa Online​

Some ambulances are donated by foreign countries, others are not. I'm pretty sure the one in your photo could fit under the height restriction (apart from maybe the hump at the back), because it doesn't look any taller than the guaguas, which cross the bridge all the time. I have never seen an ambulance taller than that here. Fire trucks - that's a different matter.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Cangrejo bridge not clearance ☢️
There a low clearance bridge in Durham NC with very low clearance.
The city set up a structure before you enter the bridge and it have a huge sign that says... If you hit this you will hit the bridge...
They should do the same over there.

JJ

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As you've been around for a while you surely know that a lot of equipment for the North Coast is donated by foreign countries to the DR.
This includes Ambulances and Fire departments.
It is not as if gob.do is purchasing new equipment for the provinces or training competent Paramedics.
Of course the ambulances are not using the detour by choice, that would be the highway, fastest route.
The march to P.P. with all the mentioned issues, of course will achieve nothing as usual.
The Hospital construction still is not finished after years, the shacks are still on the beach in their dilapidated state.

From a couple of months ago +/- in SD.

E7DCCAEF-01A4-4DC2-B93C-D5C4B56E4B7E.jpeg

FFF1A95B-34EE-4B34-BD60-DAF92D2C750F.jpeg

3248D45A-6B00-4007-A0D4-A80E23C144B9.jpeg

A7AFAB5E-E33B-414A-B803-C3E05E0EC856.jpeg

Hint: Those are not donations.

Btw, how many ambulances are donated to the DR every year? 2? 3?

Reactions: bachata

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I still endorse the camioneta ambulance services when accident happens on the roads in DR.

JJ
It's been my experience while living here first vehicle to arrive on the scene is often
used to transport the injured to the hospital, not ambulances like the ones pictured
above.
I've seen people slumped over the back of a motobike being held up by a 3rd person,
I've seen someone hanging out the back of a Toyota4Runner in broad day light and I've seen
people rushed to the emergency room in the back of pick up trucks.
I've never seen anyone rushed to the hospital in an ambulance after a bad crash.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
It's been my experience while living here first vehicle to arrive on the scene is often
used to transport the injured to the hospital, not ambulances like the ones pictured
above.
I've seen people slumped over the back of a motobike being held up by a 3rd person,
I've seen someone hanging out the back of a Toyota4Runner in broad day light and I've seen
people rushed to the emergency room in the back of pick up trucks.
I've never seen anyone rushed to the hospital in an ambulance after a bad crash.
I've seen people transported on a Motoconcho from the hospital to their homes a third person in the back holding the IV up in the air.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
From a couple of months ago +/- in SD.

View attachment 6729

View attachment 6730

View attachment 6731

View attachment 6732

Hint: Those are not donations.

Btw, how many ambulances are donated to the DR every year? 2? 3?

That is good.
At lest with 911 service and some ambulances some advancement.
Competent paramedic training wood be another step.
Yet by the end of the year no new bridge for the only highway on the North Coast.

If you divide 120 new ambulances in the year, by 31 provinces that's just about four per province.
Of course the Capital, Santiago, and Punta Cana will have more, resulting in less for P.P.

Anyone living in the P.P. area can see what's on the streets.
Anyone in Montellano sees the ambulances on the detour.
Not many tourists on the beach in Sosua.
But when people are unconscious, they are still being carried on beach lounges up the stairs to the highway.
A half hour drive to P.P. and Clinica Bournigal unless CMC is used which would be a lesser choice.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
So does this have anything to do with the Sosua Beach???? Just sayin......
The subject of ambulances was introduced by one of our esteemed mods and is indirectly related to Sosua and the beach.

siamesepat

Jun 24, 2019
My ride in an ambulance from Charamicos to CMC after a bicycle accident in 2019 was certainly not in one of the ambulances shown in this post. It was basically an empty van with no medical equipment in back other than a stretcher. The attendants were not paramedics.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
So does this have anything to do with the Sosua Beach???? Just sayin......

[IMG alt="CristoRey"]https://dr00.b-cdn.net/forums/data/avatars/s/67/67730.jpg?1622172671[/IMG]

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland​

Sosúa beach vendors hold protest to demand buildings.​

The Sosua beach vendors walked for nearly six hours from that municipality to the Provincial Government to deliver documentation containing claims demanding the construction of three plazas on the beach, a bridge in Cangrejos, and a hospital. José Manuel González, known as Lilo, the vendor’s spokesperson; Andrés Batista, the entity’s president; and other members stated that they marched peacefully and delivered a document to the Provincial Tourism Office and another to the Governor’s Office demanding vital works for Sosua. They noted that the Crab Bridge has been experiencing problems since April and that its replacement was announced in September. Similarly, they stated that the construction of the Sosua hospital is a community claim dating back more than 30 years.

A commission from the entity was received in the governor’s office by Claritza Rochette’s assistant, Danna Ydalina Taveras, as well as its director of communications, Ariel Heredia, and other officials. The driving force behind this claim is the construction of a vendor plaza, which was announced on June 25 of this year in an activity led by President Luis Abinader and Minister of Tourism David Collado, with a 615 million investment for a clean-up plan and the demolition of Sosua. José Manuel González assured that they had agreed to the construction of three plazas, one in the southern part of Los Charamicos, one 75 meters in front of the beach, and one 150 meters on the north side, the side of El Batey and that currently only one on the south side with only 35 meters to the beach is being built, which is intended to remove them completely from the beach area, which is what they have been fighting for all along.

They demanded a halt to work on the current plaza and constructing the three agreed-upon plazas.

Source: Dominican Today
dominicantoday.com

Sosúa beach vendors hold protest to demand buildings

<p>The Sosua beach vendors walked for nearly six hours from that municipality to the Provincial Government to deliver documentation containing claims demanding the construction of three plazas on the beach, a bridge in Cangrejos, and a hospital. José Manuel González, known as Lilo, the vendor’s...
dominicantoday.com

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
What's going on in Sosua, I heard that things are changing down there...
Tourism returns to be like it used to be before.

JJ

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-172405.png
    Screenshot_20230106-172405.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 71

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's been three weeks since the vendor protest. Anyone have an update on whatever construction is taking place on the beach?

habi

Oct 17, 2015
It's been three weeks since the vendor protest. Anyone have an update on whatever construction is taking place on the beach?
Some foundation work at the south plaza was started but it looks like they take a brake for the Christmas/new year/reyes.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is also a container office at the site now. You can see what is going on (or not going on) from the highway...

Photos? No. I am not able to upload anything on this site... :(

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Some foundation work at the south plaza was started but it looks like they take a brake for the Christmas/new year/reyes.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is also a container office at the site now. You can see what is going on (or not going on) from the highway...

Photos? No. I am not able to upload anything on this site... :(
Thanks for the update. There're a couple ways to post fotos to this site. If you're interested, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: habi and CristoRey